Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Sat 22, 2020 7:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Instance Where the Sold For Price on Ebay is Bogus
PostPosted: Jan Fri 17, 2020 5:06 pm 

Those of you intimately familiar with eBay may know this; but, it was new to me. I recently learned of another way that the sold for price shown on eBay is not always true. I'm familiar with the case where a best offer that was below the BIN price was accepted and the best offer price is not shown. That price can be found by entering the eBay item number at http://www.flippertools.com/tools/ebayOfferHistory/ebay-best-offer-actual-price.htm. That link appears to only work for a BIN listing with a Best Offer option. I bought a radio recently that was a BIN listing with no Best Offer option. I sent the seller a question about how the radio would be packed for shipping. He answered. Later I received an offer from the seller at a price lower than the BIN but still more than I was willing to pay. I negotiated with the seller via eBay messaging and we agreed on a price. He sent a new offer at the agreed to price and I accepted it. Deal done. Later I noticed that the radio's sold listing appears with a sold for price that is the original listed price. No mention of a best offer accepted. I put the item number into the flippertools link and it showed the original listed price as the sold for price also. To top it off, it appears eBay charged sales tax on the original listed price instead of the actual sold for price.

Post subject: Re: Another Instance Where the Sold For Price on Ebay is Bog
PostPosted: Jan Fri 17, 2020 6:44 pm 

I think the same thing happens on other sites such as Radio Attic.

I'm sure there are sellers willing to negotiate but the price remains the same on the site.
It is probably the sellers responsibility to change it in most cases.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jan Sat 18, 2020 12:51 am 

My experience with ebay and other sites of this size is they are not structured to handle to many situations " off grid". Its all about turn over and why would they care about the 1% inaccuracy from deals like this. It will never happen. Of the thousands of transactions made each day you and I are just a crumb. Im more upset with a company like worthpoint that I pay 200.00 per year to get accurate sales history from. Quite frankly this to me is more critical because they can go back many years where as ebay does not. So yes garbage in garbage out .

PostPosted: Jan Sat 18, 2020 2:51 am 

azenithnut wrote:
I think the same thing happens on other sites such as Radio Attic.
I'm sure there are sellers willing to negotiate but the price remains the same on the site.
It is probably the sellers responsibility to change it in most cases.
-Steve

The thing with RA is that there's no way to know the actual sold price unless you know the buyer/seller who is willing to disclose it. I'm not faulting RA, they shouldn't have to monitor or record sales.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 18, 2020 3:05 am 

Agreed, its the same with any selling venue like Craigslist or Kijiji but the sold item disappears after the ad expires.

RA its there permanently.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jan Sat 18, 2020 4:47 am 

I agree that the situation I mentioned is not very common. And I agree eBay doesn't care. The transaction was all done within eBay's structure. eBay provided the message notification that I had an offer from the seller and placed the review offer and accept offer buttons on my view of the listing. I am not familiar with RA; but, eBay's software should be capable of producing an accurate "sold for $X" for all cases where they have the data to calculate it. Thanks for letting me vent.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 18, 2020 4:58 am 

I would like to know why eBay is tacking on sales tax for foreign countries as if they were states, and if those funds are being sent to those countries. I recently bought from China, Spain, France and Israel and they all had tax included in the sales prices.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 18, 2020 8:14 am 

eBay, being located in California, a state that charges sales and use tax, must now collect the tax, and I presume turn it over to the California State Board of Equalization, the state entity for collection of that tax. It wouldn't go elsewhere, as the sales take place here.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 19, 2020 1:06 am 

Johnnysan wrote:
I would like to know why eBay is tacking on sales tax for foreign countries as if they were states, and if those funds are being sent to those countries. I recently bought from China, Spain, France and Israel and they all had tax included in the sales prices.

Ebay Collects Sales Tax for YOUR state. Not for the foreign countries you buy from. Every time you buy something on eBay you will pay New Mexico sales tax, no matter where you buy it from.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 19, 2020 3:14 am 

Michael Simos wrote:
Johnnysan wrote:

Ebay Collects Sales Tax for YOUR state. Not for the foreign countries you buy from. Every time you buy something on eBay you will pay New Mexico sales tax, no matter where you buy it from.

I doubt it.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 19, 2020 4:50 am 

Johnnysan wrote:
Michael Simos wrote:
Johnnysan wrote:

I doubt it.

John, you might want to read the info at https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 19, 2020 5:33 am 

Johnnysan wrote:
Michael Simos wrote:
Johnnysan wrote:

I doubt it.

You can doubt it all you want, but that's the way it is my man.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 19, 2020 8:07 am 

The thing I find so strange about sales tax, at least here in WA, is how it varies by location. The base WA State sales tax is 6.5%, but can go as high as 10.4% depending on what county and city you live in. Seattle is 10% total. The state collects the tax and divvies it out to the local entities involved.

There are places where the city line goes down the middle of the street, so on one side of the street, you're in King County and your sales tax is 9.5%, while on the other side of the street you're in Bothell, and your sales tax is 9.8%.

EBay charges the tax rate for the delivery address... So on the same block, eBay could charge a different amount of tax depending if your house number is even or odd!