Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Tue 25, 2020 10:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sell on Facebook Marketplace or Ebay?
PostPosted: Jan Tue 21, 2020 7:48 am 

I suppose the answer to that question would depend on your location; but, here's my experience.

Years ago, I dumped Ebay when they started with all of their idiotic policies.

Fast forward a few years and I started listing stuff (record players, radios, console stereos, etc.) on CL and that was largely a waste of time.

In more recent times, many local "buy/sell" groups have popped up on Facebook and then came Facebook Marketplace. I've tried selling things on there and have sold a few things; but, mostly, all I got were flakes who either didn't show up or people wanting something for nothing

A couple of weeks ago, I listed a 1965 Rock-Ola jukebox (tube amplified) on FB marketplace and what I now call the Facebook "baby clothes and cell phones"pages for $125. It's not in the best of shape and if someone wanted a major project, they could restore it. Or, use it for parts. My price was not carved in stone and I would have taken a lot less; but, most of what I got was "is this still available" messages and when I'd respond to them, I never heard another word. The only one that replied back was some guy in LA; but, he decided that driving to MS was too far.

I finally got disgusted, pulled the ad, and was reminded why I stopped posting there in the first place.

As far as buying stuff on FBM, it's never happened. I constantly look for old radios and record players; but, all I see is overpriced 1970's beat up particleboard console stereos and what tube radios I see are usually beat up, overpriced crap.

So, as far as the jukebox, what's going to happen is I'm going to part it out and sell the parts on Ebay. Of course, I'll have to dispose of the carcass and I'll have to pack and ship the parts; but, that will be one way I can actually get some money for the thing and not have to deal with all the local flakes.

Ebay certainly has it's issues; but, it's still about the only way to sell something and get at least a halfway decent price for the stuff. As far as my geographic location, there is not much demand for vintage electronics (unless I can figure out a way to make them dispense beer).

Post subject: Re: Sell on Facebook Marketplace or Ebay?
PostPosted: Jan Tue 21, 2020 8:35 am 

You pretty much ticked every box when it comes to buying/selling stuff on my local Facebook Marketplace. Nothing but yard sale leftovers and unwanted baby clothes. In terms of electronics, the only thing I've managed to score was an Uher 4000 for free because the guy was moving and didn't want to pack it. But other than that it's mostly the same ol' uninformed folks who think their beat up 70s particleboard consoles and all-in-ones are worth a small fortune. And those who do know what they have do their research on eBay and pick the top asking price. In terms of selling, I haven't had any luck. My guess is it boils down to demographic. Teens and young adults don't want 'old' stuff and those who were around when this stuff was new want a bargain without considering the cost of your service, parts, and time. Although it's a PITA to use, I would much rather eBay. The demand is greater and the selling demographic is wider.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 21, 2020 7:02 pm 

A few people on this forum seem to have had good results from facebook. I haven't tried it yet but plan to soon to sell some items too large to ship reasonably. I've had some weird experiences on craigslist as well as some good ones. For the most part I still do okay with ebay despite it's pitfalls.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 21, 2020 9:45 pm 

FB isn't bad to sell on, the weak link is their message service that doesn't work well. I find missed messages all the time with no "lightning rod" icon lit up.
Most people don't go to their messages folder and notice the unread messages.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 21, 2020 10:40 pm 

You have to know the market for your item. Some items I will only list on Ebay, some on Marketplace and others I will list on both. Of course, the Ebay listing is higher priced to cover their huge fee plus my time/expense packing.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 22, 2020 9:00 pm 

FB is ok and it works I sell cheap, maybe 50-75% of what it should be worth, at least where Im at. I never listed there until a couple months ago and everyone that said they were coming came and got the item. If you try to get actual value it doesnt seem to work, I learned. Every location will be different Im sure.

Some buyers/collectors get mad when people part out an item and sell that way, but what else can you do when you cant sell it complete? I have run into that same thing. You cant save them all and people need parts too for whatever they collect. Good luck selling the parts on ebay, they should sell well.

I like ebay better. no person to person dealings. But I guess FB is here to stay for a while at least. Its been harder to find nice stuff at sales anymore here and auctioneers waste no time blaming FB for it. Its hard to blame a seller for doing it that way as they get more profit.

It is funny the prices of crappy console stereo's on FB as already mentioned. Those same items they cant give away at a live auction here and people ask hundreds on FB. Eventually I'd like to start restoring old consoles for enjoyment and I can see its gonna be tough to find ones priced decent.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 23, 2020 4:26 am 

While Ebay could be better in many ways, its still the best place to sell and buy if you do things right.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Jan Thu 23, 2020 4:32 am 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
I would rather use Facebook than eBay for a couple of reasons. First, the lack of attempts to control how we sell, how we ship and how we take payment. Second, I can list anywhere I like, add stuff, pull ads, choose to ignore troublemakers etc. The next best is Kijiji here in Canada, and even though it's owned by Facebook it's far better. Facebook and Kijiji let me have unsupervised, unrestricted contact with local buyers and that way I can make my own deals without all the rules.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 24, 2020 6:55 am 

I'm not sure what controls your talking about John, I ship any way I want to. I haven't got time to meet buyers and haggle. I've only had one problem buyer and Ebay took care of that problem, so that's not really a problem. You can end an auction at any time, so no problem there. Paypal is fast and easy. The higher sale prices on Ebay more than offset the fees on average and buyers like the guarantee, especially when buying more expensive items.
Nothing wrong with selling on FB, if you like selling there, great. I'll stick with Ebay, even though its far from perfect and I wish someone would start a real competitor, right now I think its the best place to sell.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Feb Sat 01, 2020 4:35 pm 

this was found on FB marketplace a few months back....I got extremely lucky....

Attachments:
rca 6k.JPG
rca 6k.JPG [ 381.95 KiB | Viewed 355 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sat 01, 2020 5:29 pm 

Quote:
.I got extremely lucky....

Yes you did.......couldn't have been at the going price on FB

PostPosted: Feb Sat 01, 2020 9:57 pm 

Unfortunately I buy way more than I sell. I collect specific radio brands from the late 30's , survey equipment pre- 1900's , and misson oak furniture. I always buy more on ebay but Facebook is starting to list more of the items I look for.
When I do sell I like Facebook as it's getting better and the word is getting out there. Users are starting to get smarter with how they search for things. I sell all over the country and I except many different pay services so it's easy to get paid. I'm also using Instagram, and other platforms to market my items with a link back to my Facebook store. For me it was breaking old habits with ebay. For some ebay is great but I have found more creative markets. A little more work but I dont have to deal with ebay's culture.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 03, 2020 6:09 pm 

facebook marketplace is the way to go. they are putting a huge dent on etsy and a smaller one on ebay. no fees no taxes no paypal. enjoy FB marketplace while it lasts in its present form.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 03, 2020 11:08 pm 

Around here, facebook marketplace is like a firehose of spam. You can filter the spam to categorize what kind of spam you like, and that does adjust the spam, though apparently not according to the search term you put in. Its like that Microsoft AI has been subverted to post made-up listings for things that don't actually exist at prices that no one would pay.