Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 28, 2021 5:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: QTH - Just became aware of this website
PostPosted: Aug Fri 13, 2021 4:00 pm 

I have always enjoyed repairing and restoring old radios, mostly tube types. Of course there are those times when an unobtainable item can put a project on hold for quite a while. I have several ongoing projects that are currently on hold. Until recently my only resource for parts or donor radios has been eBay, craigslist, swap meets and ham fests. I find ebay is a minefield and the prices are ridiculous, craigslist can be ok but very hit and miss. I've been to a ham fest recently and dis luck out but they are not common near where I live. I learned of QTH this week. At first, I was not aware about the exclusivity of their ad policy and I searched and found several items of interest. I learned quickly that not being a ham eliminated this resource as far as I was concerned. :( Is there a way for a non ham to place adds or respond to adds? I would imagine allowing non hams to participate could really increase the opportunities for both buyers and sellers ! :?:

Just my opinion.

Regards, Frank

Post subject: Re: QTH - Just became aware of this website
PostPosted: Aug Fri 13, 2021 4:23 pm 

Simple, place 'none' in ham call sign box and place any ad you want. Trick question at top of post ad form is '73'.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 13, 2021 4:30 pm 

angelfj1 wrote:
I learned quickly that not being a ham eliminated this resource as far as I was concerned. :( Is there a way for a non ham to place adds or respond to adds? I would imagine allowing non hams to participate could really increase the opportunities for both buyers and sellers ! :?:
You mean QTH.COM. I didn't think QTH had a "ham only restriction". I tried looking around on the site to see if it said anything like that and did not find it. Could you point me to where you ran into trouble?

I know QRZ.COM had some people posing as hams and scamming people so I believe they have become more restrictive over the years.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Aug Fri 13, 2021 5:00 pm 

Well, thanks for the replies! Let me say if I have misunderstood the rules I am sorry. However, when I tried to fill out the ad form, there was a place for your call sign. I left this space blank and the "system" asked if I had forgotten my call sign. I could not proceed unless I entered a valid call sign. At that point I assumed that I needed to be a licensed radio amateur. I will revisit the site and try again.

Best regards,

Frank

PostPosted: Aug Fri 13, 2021 5:01 pm 

jimbenedict wrote:
Simple, place 'none' in ham call sign box and place any ad you want. Trick question at top of post ad form is '73'.

Thanks !

PostPosted: Aug Fri 13, 2021 5:17 pm 

OK I guess I did speak too soon! So, I just responded to an ad. As jimbenedict suggested, I entered 'none' for my call sign, and the 'system' accepted the reply. I think it did. We will see,

Frank

PostPosted: Aug Fri 13, 2021 5:19 pm 

Eickerman wrote:
angelfj1 wrote:
I learned quickly that not being a ham eliminated this resource as far as I was concerned. :( Is there a way for a non ham to place adds or respond to adds? I would imagine allowing non hams to participate could really increase the opportunities for both buyers and sellers ! :?:
You mean QTH.COM. I didn't think QTH had a "ham only restriction". I tried looking around on the site to see if it said anything like that and did not find it. Could you point me to where you ran into trouble?

I know QRZ.COM had some people posing as hams and scamming people so I believe they have become more restrictive over the years.

Curtis Eickerman

Hi Curtis! Thank you. BTW, every time I fire up my S20R I think of you and the help you gave me a few years ago. :D

Best regards, Frank

PostPosted: Aug Fri 13, 2021 6:03 pm 

angelfj1 wrote:
BTW, every time I fire up my S20R I think of you and the help you gave me a few years ago. :D
I am glad to have been of help. There are definitely worse things to be remembered for :-)

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 4:03 am 

Eickerman wrote:
angelfj1 wrote:
BTW, every time I fire up my S20R I think of you and the help you gave me a few years ago. :D
I am glad to have been of help. There are definitely worse things to be remembered for :-)

Curtis Eickerman
Yeah, like the time you uh... oh never mind. :D
Now I remember, running a mower at dawn on a Sunday, tsk, tsk. :D

PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 5:29 am 

westcoastjohn wrote:
Eickerman wrote:
angelfj1 wrote:
I am glad to have been of help. There are definitely worse things to be remembered for :-) - Curtis Eickerman
Yeah, like the time you uh... oh never mind. :D
Now I remember, running a mower at dawn on a Sunday, tsk, tsk. :D
Quilty :twisted:

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 8:42 pm 

Congrats you are now known as N zero N E on QTH. I know of someone that has sold stuff on there and he seemed satisfied with the results.