Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 24, 2021 3:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pop up message when I get on Ebay
PostPosted: Aug Wed 18, 2021 4:47 pm 

Today, I've logged into Ebay a few times already and every time, I get this pop up message, wanting me to sign up for their managed payments crap. Here lately, their search engine isn't even working right and why would I trust them with my SSN and bank account?

I'm just wondering if maybe they are hurting a little and are trying to push people into updating their information. At any rate, they can stick all the pop up messages they want to up and I'm not budging for many reasons (there's plenty I could say; but, I won't because it would get political) . It's really a shame because Ebay is about the only way to get rid of certain items for a decent price; but, they are getting too much into my business and I'm putting my foot down.

Very soon, I think a lot of sellers will be leaving Ebay (and online selling in general) and you know why without me having to say anything.

Post subject: Re: Pop up message when I get on Ebay
PostPosted: Aug Wed 18, 2021 5:06 pm 

Hurting!
what planet are you on?

Over 1 billion active listings.
Over 180 million active buyers.
In the past year, eBay generated over $10 billion in revenue. 8)→ $10,000,000,000 ← 8)
About 2 billion daily transactions.

Go ahead and pull the plug... they won't miss you. lol

Greg.

Last edited by egg on Aug Wed 18, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 18, 2021 5:09 pm 

egg wrote:
Hurting!
what planet are you on?

Over 1 billion active listings.
Over 180 million active buyers.
In the past year, eBay generated over $10 billion in revenue.
About 2 billion daily transactions.

Go ahead and pull the plug... they won't miss you. lol

Greg.
Thanks Greg, I wished I could have said that... Chas

PostPosted: Aug Wed 18, 2021 5:16 pm 

Oh, I know they won't miss me one bit. In fact, with the small amount of business that I was doing with them, they'd probably rather see me gone.

I can't speak for all categories; but, it seems like vintage electronics items are not as well populated there as they used to be.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 18, 2021 5:37 pm 

eBay has changed Bryan, and you sure don't need me to tell you that... :)
I've been purchasing there since day-one, and on Amazon from the start when they only sold books. Probably between the two I've spent in total the price of a brand new family sized car. lol

I can't remember exactly when it was, probably around 2005 when I was surprised to overhear two little old ladies at the bus stop discussing their eBay purchases!
The writing was on the wall from that day forth.

In the early days purchasing radios and other stuff on eBay was like shooting fish in a barrel. lol
Those days are gone forever.

Change is inevitable in every avenue of life.
Improvise, adapt and overcome.

Greg.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 18, 2021 6:18 pm 

Like them or not, they're your best chance at scoring an antique radio bar none. Not that I wouldn't mind buying a radio from someone at a swap meet, but you'll never find as many available radios anywhere else. Their site works great on my phone. Picclick.com works too.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 18, 2021 9:33 pm 

You have to switch over from PayPal.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 18, 2021 10:42 pm 

I get the pop up ads encouraging me to sign up for the app so they can collect fees on my pocket bids! (google eBay pocket bids if you are not familiar) Not happening.

Norman

PostPosted: Aug Thu 19, 2021 7:03 am 
Site Admin

Braithwaite wrote:
I get the pop up ads encouraging me to sign up for the app so they can collect fees on my pocket bids! (google eBay pocket bids if you are not familiar) Not happening.

Norman

You have to (1) accidentally unlock your phone, then (2) accidentally launch the eBay app, then )3) accidentally click on an item, then accidentally (4) click on "Buy It Now" and then lastly (5) click on "Confirm and Pay".

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 8:46 pm 

I have quit selling on there because of their changes. And buying is getting problematic due to the annoying extended "security measures" even if you are signed in. Small fry sellers are a nuisance to them, they want high volume commercial sellers like Amazon has to fatten their bottomless bottom line. SO don't expect no respect from mega tech.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 23, 2021 12:31 am 

I make about 600 tubes sales per year. eBay forced me into Managed Pay last September. It is slightly less in fees than PayPal but the month end reports are not as good. Top sellers get a 10% fee discount. The criteria for a top seller is demanding.
Next year, any seller with $600 or more in sales will receive a 1099. Congress threw that one in the Covid Relief bill. This year, it is $20K. The total 1099 will include sales, fees, refunds, state taxes and shipping so it's important to keep good records for deductions.
Many casual sellers will just drop off eBay so less items will be available. Everything being equal, the seller will have to raise prices to the current tax rate just to break even with 2021. With less sellers, the same demand and higher bottom line costs, everything will go up in price.
I am sure Uncle Sam audits eBay's record keeping on sellers so that is why they are hitting you up for info.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 23, 2021 12:37 am 

When eBay changes rules, you can be assured the result will be toward their benefit.

Once Managed Pay came into being, all of a sudden they were grabbing their final value fees immediately, instead of billing and then taking their payments a few weeks later.

The slightly lower fees vs using PP is simply a gimmick to make the seller think he's getting a better deal now. :roll: