Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 20, 2021 9:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Excellent Potential Zenith Project
PostPosted: Aug Thu 19, 2021 3:43 pm 

Someone in the Milwaukee/Chicago area should buy this and not merely for the knobs. One knob and a thorough refinishing might do it wonders. There are only two photos, but I suspect it looks far worse than it actually is.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... _code=null

Here's mine. It was also in rather rough shape when I bought it, but turned out beautifully and without any major repairs. Also, because the chassis and speaker is so well concealed from dust and air circulation, it was in surprisingly good condition. The motor drive on this radio works better than all of my other Zeniths.

In my opinion, this Zenith is the third best looking chairside radio, behind only the Stromberg-Carlson 231R and the Zenith 10-s-147 (and lookalikes). It is well worth restoring.

Last edited by Gold Dial on Aug Thu 19, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Excellent Potential Zenith Project
PostPosted: Aug Thu 19, 2021 3:51 pm 

The chassis, knobs, and speaker are more then worth it, alone, for the $50 asking price. Maybe someone will take up the challenge of restoring that radio.

Gold Dial, your photo needs to be just a tad bit smaller. It even overwhelms my large screen computer monitor. I feel like I'm looking at Google Earth.

Update: Ah, that's much better.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 19, 2021 3:58 pm 

I should also mention that the difficulty of refinishing a cabinet is not in proportion to how ugly it currently is. If there is no major veneer damage, massive gouges, or missing trim (not to mention legs and doors), it will be rather easy to refinish. Don't let a little white paint scare you.

This radio also has its original glass pane, which is a major plus.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 19, 2021 4:16 pm 

I noticed it a few days ago, highly doubt I'm alone. Don't know how motivated I am to take it on so I hadn't asked about it, but just for the hell of it I did now. We'll see if she answers.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 4:46 pm 

Well, it's in my house. Here's what my fifty bucks bought.

It's received a coat of antiquing paint. I dealt with this once before. Ended up with chemical strip, iirc. We'll try the heat gun again and see if it works this time. The paint is a bit dry and chipped off in a couple places. Looks like it's still finished underneath.

I need a ruling on the originality of that grille cloth. (Edit: Having now pulled the chassis, lol no. Looks like I get to see if Kenny Richmond can hook me up.) There's no cloth at all on the back side.

Other than the one missing knob, appears to be complete. May or may not just order a set from blacksmith and call it good but we'll see. Right now I think it's restorable and will probably be up on the bench soon. Controls are free and dial shutters look good.

Still has its OEM 6T5 in it, which as expected is kind of done. Conveniently, it pulled the lid of its socket off with it. Save me some trouble when I go to change the resistor.

Attachments:
IMG_2033.jpeg
IMG_2033.jpeg [ 879.34 KiB | Viewed 455 times ]
IMG_2034.jpeg
IMG_2034.jpeg [ 779.17 KiB | Viewed 455 times ]
IMG_2032.jpeg
IMG_2032.jpeg [ 599.05 KiB | Viewed 455 times ]
IMG_2036.jpeg
IMG_2036.jpeg [ 761.96 KiB | Viewed 455 times ]
D089A5C8-46E8-40E6-B17E-63793EFAD1F9.jpeg
D089A5C8-46E8-40E6-B17E-63793EFAD1F9.jpeg [ 295.63 KiB | Viewed 427 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 1:27 am 

I’m glad it was saved. It looks like there is no major damage to the cabinet.

It originally came with either of the two patterns that it’s sibling, the 9s262, came with. Speaker cloth was originally used on both the front and back.

I used a light stain on the cabinet and toned all of the red gum trim to the same shade. The edge of the speaker cutout and edges of the top table surface should be toned rather dark.

It’s a very fun radio—it has all of the bells and whistles one could ask for in a Zenith plus the sliding glass top and a bookshelf, all in a compact cabinet.

Last edited by Gold Dial on Aug Sun 22, 2021 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 2:19 am 

Have not found any veneer issues at all yet, so while getting the paint off of everything will be a decently long-term task, there should be a good cabinet underneath. Keep me out of the bars, anyway. Early returns with the heat gun are promising, other than accidentally setting off the smoke detector in the basement...

Richmond has the leaf design and Radio Daze says they have a block design that looks right, though I don't think they've bought grille cloth in a long time so it's anyone's guess if they actually have enough to finish the job. I apparently cleaned them out of the pattern needed for my RCA 128, because I bought it and it was out of stock immediately after.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 2:29 am 

I think they sell it here:
https://www.radiodaze.com/grille-cloth-21-item-grc21/

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 5:39 am 

Yeah, that's it. I do like the block better than the leaf for this machine age cabinet, so I decided to take my chances and order two pieces big enough for the job from them. I hope they can fill the order.

Between that and the new large pinch wood knob from Big River Hardware I've already more than doubled my investment in this set, to say nothing of the hour+ I spent tonight with the paint stripper and steel wool getting the paint off the knobs. This one gonna keep me busy for awhile.