Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 05, 2021 3:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Now, Paypal wants my cell number
PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 5:46 pm 

They've been asking me for my mobile number for some time and I always click the "not now" button. Well, there is no longer a "not now" button and they won't let me proceed until I give it to them. I even tried entering a bogus number and it kicked it out. Once again, they are asking for information that is none of their business; so, I guess I'm done with them, too. If anyone wants anything from me, they can send me a check or MO (like we did it in the old days).

Post subject: Re: Now, Paypal wants my cell number
PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 7:11 pm 

It's for two-factor (two step) verification.
My bank, credit card and PayPal have all been using this for more than a year here.

Two-factor authentication helps PayPal determine the authenticity of a login attempt and keep the account safe from hackers.

If this pisses you off… just wait for Biometric identification.
Coming soon. lol

Attachments:
Biometrics.jpg
Biometrics.jpg [ 492.11 KiB | Viewed 1095 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 7:14 pm 

I recently was filling out a job application form. It was going fine until they asked for my ss#. Then they wouldn't accept it unless I gave it to them. Now I could see if they needed it for tax purposes, but before I'm even hired? I don't like that.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 8:08 pm 

Zenith Royal wrote:
I recently was filling out a job application form. It was going fine until they asked for my ss#. Then they wouldn't accept it unless I gave it to them. Now I could see if they needed it for tax purposes, but before I'm even hired? I don't like that.

This is quite common now.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 9:04 pm 

2-Step Verification. https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/faq4057

You should have this turned on. You will wish you had it when someone hacks your account. It saved me recently when I got a text that some PC outside of the country (probably on a VPN) was trying to access my account. They didn't get very far thanks to this added security feature.

Companies are continuously battling fraud, scammers, and other criminals trying to abuse their services. Trying to enter a bogus number on your account... I wouldn't be surprised it this isn't a red flag in the system and you don't find your account locked or banned from using their services.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 12:20 am 

radiotvnut wrote:
Well, there is no longer a "not now" button and they won't let me proceed until I give it to them.

Their company, their rules. If you don't comply with their rules then you will be locked out. It's just that simple.

Hey, there's always Craigslist. :D

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 1:04 am 

analog junk collector wrote:
Zenith Royal wrote:

This is quite common now.

Back ground security check. Employers want to to know if their hiring prospects are criminals or not.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 1:44 am 

I'm always very careful who I give out my SS# to. So much can go wrong if it fell into the wrong hands.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 4:46 am 

Indiana Radios wrote:
I'm always very careful who I give out my SS# to. So much can go wrong if it fell into the wrong hands.

Especially when an employer insists on doing the hiring online only, with no other option, you are trusting this "potential employer " is real.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 5:06 am 

Yeah, the two factor ID security feature has become common, and I don't really see a problem with it. It's simply a product of the times. So they get your cell phone number, so what? Doesn't the phones SIM card protect it's ID from hackers?

AFA a SS#, maybe to verify citizenship? If a hacker has that and a birthdate, residential address, mothers maiden name, and drivers license number, he/she/it is in business for ID theft. But lacking 1 or 2 of those, I don't think so.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 5:08 am 

I ran into PayPal needing a cell phone number. Ain't a going to do any good cause I don't have a cell phone. I was in the middle of a transaction when they sent me an EMAIL Stating SECURITY. So I tried to get into my account without success.
They told me just before the transaction couldn't' be processed because the sellers Email wasn't valid.
Well I thought I wouldn't get a refund, but a week later my bank showed a credit for the funds back into my account.

I can't even delete my account. So I just wont use them anymore. I think there are other online companies that are available for monetary transactions. So I guess I have to research that.
I have used them for several years without any problems, so Now this. :x

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 12:24 pm 

Zenith Royal wrote:
Indiana Radios wrote:

Especially when an employer insists on doing the hiring online only, with no other option, you are trusting this "potential employer " is real.

Sounds sketchy. The only time an employer has ever asked me for a SS# number is after I have already been hired and they are filling out my tax information for payroll. And also for a background check as I needed special clearance to work on some government projects.

Is this for an in-person job and an "work from home" job? There are lots of work from home scams floating around out there.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 12:53 pm 

I posted last month about eBay forcing me to send in a copy of my Gov ID. I told them to f off and stopped using eBay. They held $320.00 ransom and locked my account. About 2 weeks ago I went on and logged in. I went to the info page and clicked submit without changing my info and they said "Congratulations! You are confirmed..." No ID copy sent in. Winning small battles is always a plus. lol

:)

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 3:37 pm 

Jeremy S wrote:
Zenith Royal wrote:
Indiana Radios wrote:

Sounds sketchy. The only time an employer has ever asked me for a SS# number is after I have already been hired and they are filling out my tax information for payroll. And also for a background check as I needed special clearance to work on some government projects.

Is this for an in-person job and an "work from home" job? There are lots of work from home scams floating around out there.

This was for a truck driving job, an over the road position, which literally means anywhere across the country. This is the problem with Indeed.com. Too many jobs with no physical address. I could see if I was at their job site and they needed my ss#, but I agree it's too sketchy applying online. You want to verify me? Ok, but how do I verify you? I recently applied for an apartment which also required it, however I was able to see the apartment first, as were other people there, so I know it's legit. BTW, there are real estate scams too. I looked at a house but the woman showing it said the lease would be signed online. Her "husband " she said was away in Utah. She said they were leaving in two weeks. Then how come their refrigerator was full of food? Even the freezer was full. She must have suspected I didn't believe her, and as soon as I left their ad was taken offline! There were no boxes or signs of anything being moved.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 5:20 pm 

I use the desktop and mobile app and they text me an authentication code to my phone to ensure that it's me. I prefer it this way as if someone were to try and log into my account I would he made aware.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 8:39 pm 

Tell them you are blind and have no cellphone. They cannot reject you then without facing discrimination lawsuits. I am pretty sure everyone gives your cell out to those that pay them well for the information.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 27, 2021 5:45 am 

Paypay recently asked me for a cell number, too.

I didn't have one to give them, so just to see what would happen, I entered our land line number and told it to go ahead and text their dumb code to it. It actually called the number and audibly read the code, which unlocked my account.

It would be nice if their stupid website site told people that was an option so they wouldn't have to get pissed off or waste time trying to deal with customer service, etc. :roll:

PostPosted: Aug Fri 27, 2021 4:22 pm 

The people responsible for making PayPal's rules and maintaining it's website are all young people, many of whome grew up in a world without landline telephones. To them, all phones are considered cell phones which is really lazy thinking. They think of landline phones as being part of the past, just like the party line crank telephones are. Many of them don't understand why some people still cling onto landline phones in this day and age. It's going to get more like this as time goes by so you better get ready to deal with it.

People who insist on clinging onto landline telephones are now considered to be a minority and catering to their needs are of little concern to many businesses, especially new high tech businesses.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 27, 2021 7:36 pm 

Indiana Radios wrote:
The people responsible for making PayPal's rules and maintaining it's website are all young people, many of whome grew up in a world without landline telephones. To them, all phones are considered cell phones which is really lazy thinking. They think of landline phones as being part of the past, just like the party line crank telephones are. Many of them don't understand why some people still cling onto landline phones in this day and age. It's going to get more like this as time goes by so you better get ready to deal with it.

People who insist on clinging onto landline telephones are now considered to be a minority and catering to their needs are of little concern to many businesses, especially new high tech businesses.

A statistic I read stated that only 40% of homes still have landlines, so landlines ARE a minority and an ever shrinking one at that.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 28, 2021 6:51 am 

This problem is similar to the radio contests I-Heart (?) runs from time to time. "Text <some number> to xxx-xxx-xxxx for a chance to win $1000." Can't enter if you don't have a cell phone. It's just assumed everyone has one.

We have a 'sorta landline'. Our two station house phone used to connect to a land line, but now connects to a converter box that sends and receives calls over the cell network. We got the converter when we got our cell phone.
John

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 29 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next