Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 16, 2021 8:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Am I Obligated To Buy The Item?
PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 9:59 pm 

Yesterday morning Sept. 3, 2021 I made a "best Offer"
for an item located in NJ but it gives a "PDT" time.
Anyway I heard NOTHING from him, I checked the notice I got from EBAY.
It read:
"Your offer expires: Sep-04 13:46:40 PDT"
Not knowing military time, What happens after the time passes, am I still obligated to buy it?

Post subject: Re: Am I Obligated To Buy The Item?
PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 10:13 pm 

Bill Benson wrote:
It read:
"Your offer expires: Sep-04 13:46:40 PDT"

That would be 1:46 Pacific, or 4:46 Eastern. At that time, your obligation would end, and since it's now 2:13 Pacific, it already has.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 11:36 pm 

Thanks, yes I got that notice from EBAY.
The seller did not even have the courticy to reply one way or the other.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 11:49 pm 

I’m not convinced the seller even sees it if it’s too low. But in any case I certainly wouldn’t assume a seller would acknowledge an offer he won’t accept.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 12:04 am 

Paul Dietenberger wrote:
I’m not convinced the seller even sees it if it’s too low. But in any case I certainly wouldn’t assume a seller would acknowledge an offer he won’t accept.

It was not a big item, the price was $27.11, I offered $20.
I wrote a note to him letting him know he has very POOR business practice and said at least you could have came back with a counter offer.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 12:14 am 

I've found that offers of less than 80% of asking price will often get automatically rejected. In this case, he may have considered a $22 offer.

Regardless, you aren't the only one who doesn't get an offer acknowledged. I had posted a very low priced Transistor radio on The Bay some years ago, with the make offer option. I got one offer, wherein considering postage and deductions for eBay and PayPal, I would have made nothing, it was so low. There was just no point in acknowledging him with a counter.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 12:21 am 

fifties wrote:
I've found that offers of less than 80% of asking price will often get automatically rejected. In this case, he may have considered a $22 offer.

Regardless, you aren't the only one who doesn't get an offer acknowledged. I had posted a very low priced Transistor radio on The Bay some years ago, with the make offer option. I got one offer, wherein considering postage and deductions for eBay and PayPal, I would have made nothing, it was so low. There was just no point in acknowledging him with a counter.

YEA you got a point there but he should have replied.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 1:33 am 

Bear in mind that quite a few people are on vacation this time of year- and while they should put up a note with ebay saying seller away- many don't.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 2:13 am 

Bill Benson wrote:
I wrote a note to him letting him know he has very POOR business practice and said at least you could have came back with a counter offer.

I've had plenty of offers go unanswered over the years but I've never, ever, wrote to any of those sellers critiquing them on how they're running their businesses just because they didn't answer "ME" back. That just seems a tad bit over reactive. Did you even bother to ask that seller why he never responded? He might have had a perfectly good explanation but your probably never going to know it now because you decided to come to your own conclusion and act on it by totally blowing him off.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 5:09 am 

I was looking at an item being sold by a hardware store. I realized they had it listed on their store website and in an eBay storefront, same seller. The eBay price was higher, but it was a Buy-It-Now with a Make Offer button. So I submitted an offer 10% below the store price. I got an instant rejection. I submitted an offer 5% below the store price. Instant rejection. I submitted an offer equal to the store price. Instant rejection.

Finally, I submitted an offer 1 cent less than the eBay BIN price, and I still got an instant rejection.

As far as I could tell, they didn't actually want to sell anything on eBay... The only reason for the eBay listing was to make people think that the price on their store website was a good price, and to persuade people to buy from the website instead of from eBay.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 5:27 pm 

eBay allows us to cancel at buyers request. So no you are not obligated to buy anything really. Even if you don't pay the worst you can get is unpaid item strike and once you get so many you are not allowed to bid or best offer some sellers items if they choose to opt in to that program. I've found only half do it and when they do their items end low or don't get bids until the very end.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 5:28 pm 

Seems those offers paid or not and even the bids help tremendously. I've bid on $10,000 worth of items and knew I couldn't win just to be there.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 5:38 pm 

What is not appreciated or understood by me to appreciate it is making $25 offers on my brothers paintings then not paying, or buying a watch in auction for $81 and purposefully bidding yourself up. I think someone did that and even used my family names to really conflate stuff. Any bid on an item you feel is worth more I accept. I would even take back the not appreciating the bid on the liberty watch if I knew they were sincere. I believe the buyer of the fractional currency is a nut job like a Hollywood type entertainment ploy. If they anger me I say things that give them a show they don't have otherwise.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 8:22 pm 

Did the listing have a best offer option or did you just send him an offer as it can be done that way?

Many sellers including myself hate best offers or offers in general. Myself, I do not enjoy dickering around back and forth on price even on things I put on craigslist. Id make a poor car salesman, lol. I dont mind it if its to combine shipping or they want several items, thats fine. I havent gotten as many offers lately and thats fine by me. I never have best offers option on my listings and still get those offers. My prices are not high to begin with so no need to.

But I do agree, they should have replied if they were near their computer and turned it down. But I wouldnt get upset if I made the offer and didnt hear back as there could be a thousand reasons why.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 9:50 pm 

I often get offers from sellers on items in my watch list, sometimes I accept them, if I don’t I usually add a note letting the seller know why I declined.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 10:03 pm 

I just bought something on ebay recently on someone else's behalf. The listing said make offer. He asked me to offer X and I did. It expired. I tried a price much closer to the BIN. Nothing, expired. So what the h311 is the point of that feature, I asked them and got nothing and had to pay BIN anyway.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 10:09 pm 

wazz wrote:
I just bought something on ebay recently on someone else's behalf. The listing said make offer. He asked me to offer X and I did. It expired. I tried a price much closer to the BIN. Nothing, expired. So what the h311 is the point of that feature, I asked them and got nothing and had to pay BIN anyway.

The feature worked for the seller. The bait was the make offer dangle, and you ended up paying the BIN price after all.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 10:52 pm 

Eric H wrote:
I often get offers from sellers on items in my watch list, sometimes I accept them, if I don’t I usually add a note letting the seller know why I declined.

When that happens the seller doesn't even know who you are. They don't know who is watching and likely aren't expecting (or wanting) a formal decline. If you want to tell them you think their price is too high, then fine, they may or may not take that into account. But they only do it because eBay suggested it might tempt someone.