Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 23, 2021 10:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: PayPal weirdness
PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 4:10 am 

Selling an item on Craigslist..
Contacted by a buyer who has already decided how much he wants to pay--including shipping. This is now in the PayPal system as a "pending payment to us. Reading the fine print, it turns out tha we must ship using a PP-approved carrier......in this case FEDEx.
Huge ambiguity becomes obvious: Do we simply supply a tracking number, or does there need to be an actual evidence of delivery (It appears to be he latter.)

Now were in total twilight land....somehow, another chunk of $ has been added to the pending payment---without the knowledge or consent of either us or the buyer. The buyer initially wanted us to put up the money to get things unstuck. We said NO, an he backed off.

One clue: Here is the sender line from one of the emails purporting to be from PayPal:
paypalrepresentativeagentsarah <paypalrepresentativeagentsarah@inbox.ru>

Anyone care to guess if P-P has offices in Russia???

Post subject: Re: PayPal weirdness
PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 12:50 pm 

Wow, major alert. I would have been on the phone with Paypal on this right away.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 1:58 pm 

Bugman wrote:
Wow, major alert. I would have been on the phone with Paypal on this right away.

on my way to the desk as we speak---did not have a phone number untill just now

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 8:36 pm 

Run like the wind.

A common scam is for someone to send more money than they owe. Its kind of like a bad check or fake cashiers check. Then they want you to refund real money. Somehow they have a way to make money doing that.

If something smells funny back away unless you can afford to lose the item.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 9:19 pm 

Bugman wrote:

We were---and they were no help at all. What I have in mind at this point i more like retaliation

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 9:50 pm 

oldmannewtrick wrote:
A common scam is for someone to send more money than they owe. Its kind of like a bad check or fake cashiers check. Then they want you to refund real money. Somehow they have a way to make money doing that.
The money they "supposedly" send you isn't real and won't clear all the banks involved and eventually bounces. They are out nothing. The refund you send them IS real and clears your bank and is gone forever. They make money and you learn a lesson the hard way.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 1:24 am 

I'd seen that a few times when advertising a house for rent on The Recycler, ages ago.

The scheme was that they were looking to rent a property for someone in a church group, who was going to be in the U.S. for a period of time. They wanted to know how much to send for the deposit.

I never fell for it, but had read on scambaiters that they would send a check from The Bank of England or some official sounding name, for a good deal more than what was required. The excuse was that the check had been drawn for another rental on which the deal fell through.

The recipient landlord was supposed to deposit the check, keep $200 or so above the amount required for the deposit for his troubles, and send the remainder by Western Union, which of course is untraceable and non refundable.

So the landlord would be out the bounced check fee to the bank, and the overage, which was the scammers profit.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 6:09 pm 

forward to spoof@paypal.com.
its a pure scam.
do not ship or pay anything.