Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 21, 2021 1:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stratosphere on Auction
PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 7:16 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
Once you strip an original finish its gone forever.
Too bad, but it is not original. It is the worn and weathered current finish which was original long ago. It looked far better when new.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 10:04 pm 

Everyone can say that $30k+ for an antique radio is a "deal", however unfortunately as time continues to tick by fewer and fewer people are interested in radios and that is quite the investment. In 10 years I will be very interested to see what the market is for these impressive sets.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 10:30 pm 

If $30K is going to be the normal price range for 1000Z Stratospheres in the future, I think a number of current owners will now be facing the eventual loss of investment in their Strats, many thousands of dollars for some Strat owners. Some of them might want to consider selling their sets sometime in the near future order to recover as much of their investment as possible.

Last edited by Indiana Radios on Sep Sun 26, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 10:59 pm 

There are about 50 of these radios that we know of? How many collectors out there can afford, or are willing to drop tens of thousands of dollars on this set because it has been hyped up as the "ultimate" antique radio? Yeah, a 1000Z is good looking, but looks are a matter of opinion and I can find plenty of visually appealing radios for a small fraction of that price. I personally would rather have a 16A63 if looks were the driving factor and I could afford to drop 5 digits on a radio. I expect prices to erode further in the future because it is not a vintage car that you can drive around and enjoy using. It is nothing more than an AM radio.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 11:01 pm 

Or they might feel like I do. I would rather have the radio than 300 slips of paper.

Even if you did not pay $30k for one, the "profit" you could have made from your "investment" will be less - so you lost money.

Moral of the story - own one because you like it, forget about investment. This goes for cars, art, and a lot of things that don't involve acreage.

How much did I pay for mine? Lets say, a Lot less - no, a LOT LOT LOT less. Doesn't really matter unless I was to sell it, which I won't do. It, and more so, It's story makes me smile every time I walk past it. And I like sharing it with my friends - right friends? (part of the tour IF you know what a Stratosphere even is. For most people it is just another old console - unless you turn it on. Otherwise the radios at the shop are just as impressive - and cheaper)

Would I out rightly pay $30k for one - hard to say, now, probably not - but . . . .

I'll bet Steve and most other owners feel the same.

Love to work on them- take them ALL APART down to the nuts & bolts. Then put them back together. (might not want to show the owner his radio in a thousand pieces - or just for fun, do show him - :shock:

Russ

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 11:09 pm 

Radio's, cars and most collectables go in and out of fashion. Prices climb then fall as other things become the new hot collectable. Prices of many classic cars are falling because later generations aren't interested in them. Collect something because you love it, but be smart about it and don't way overpay for anything.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 12:52 am 

Look at it this way, you could buy a stratosphere before the coming collapse of the dollar, or you could buy some Hunter Biden art.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 12:54 am 

At least with a Stratosphere, if it is in working condition, you can listen to the radio. I'm going with my friend to the Long Beach Stamp and Coin Show this week and I wonder if he is going to buy a 1895 Morgan silver dollar proof that cost about $50K that he has wanted to add to his coin collection.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 4:00 am 

I know someone who got out of coin collecting and into radio collecting because the fake coins have gotten so good that high-power, even electron, microscopes are needed to detect them.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 3:39 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
bobwilson1977 wrote:
Too bad, but it is not original. It is the worn and weathered current finish which was original long ago. It looked far better when new.

It is original. It's just not new. Original and new don't mean the same thing. The opposite of new is old. The opposite of original is modified. Once you take off the old 1930 finish, and apply a new 2021 finish, the finish is no longer original. Although it is new, it's now modified.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 3:45 pm 

You're correct as usual, Rodney.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 5:06 pm 

phlogiston wrote:
Or they might feel like I do. I would rather have the radio than 300 slips of paper.

Even if you did not pay $30k for one, the "profit" you could have made from your "investment" will be less - so you lost money.

Moral of the story - own one because you like it, forget about investment. This goes for cars, art, and a lot of things that don't involve acreage.

How much did I pay for mine? Lets say, a Lot less - no, a LOT LOT LOT less. Doesn't really matter unless I was to sell it, which I won't do. It, and more so, It's story makes me smile every time I walk past it. And I like sharing it with my friends - right friends? (part of the tour IF you know what a Stratosphere even is. For most people it is just another old console - unless you turn it on. Otherwise the radios at the shop are just as impressive - and cheaper)

Would I out rightly pay $30k for one - hard to say, now, probably not - but . . . .

I'll bet Steve and most other owners feel the same.

Love to work on them- take them ALL APART down to the nuts & bolts. Then put them back together. (might not want to show the owner his radio in a thousand pieces - or just for fun, do show him - :shock:

Russ

Russ, I do feel the same. Making a profit or even breaking even was never on my mind when I got my 1000Z. I got it because I've wanted one since 1980.
I had 3 opportunities through the years to buy one and each one slipped through my fingers. I decided not to let this one get away.

I've seen many people invest what I paid for my 1000Z in a new car only to see its value drop and eventually become nil. I'm sure I got as much if not more enjoyment in my 1000Z than they did with their car, and its not rusting away either! :wink:

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 5:06 pm 

palegreenthumb wrote:
FStephenMasek wrote:
bobwilson1977 wrote:

It is original. It's just not new. Original and new don't mean the same thing. The opposite of new is old. The opposite of original is modified. Once you take off the old 1930 finish, and apply a new 2021 finish, the finish is no longer original. Although it is new, it's now modified.

Thanks Rodney, I'm leaving it be.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 3:41 am 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
No, as what people are referring to is the appearance. A worn and weathered old finish does not look original. If someone wants worn and weathered, have at it, but that is not how it looked when new.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 12:25 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
FStephenMasek wrote:
atwaterkent1 wrote:
No, as what people are referring to is the appearance. A worn and weathered old finish does not look original. If someone wants worn and weathered, have at it, but that is not how it looked when new.

Nope, Rodney's correct. A finish, even a worn and weathered finish that has not been redone since it left the factory is "original". That is what I would prefer as long as it is not too badly worn. They only have their original finish once.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 1:18 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
A finish, even a worn and weathered finish that has not been redone since it left the factory is "original". That is what I would prefer as long as it is not too badly worn.
So, how badly is "not too badly' before it becomes justifiable to refinish. Everyone has their own opinions but, as for as this Strat is concerned, Steve's opinion is the most important.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 4:00 pm 

It would not be impossible to just refinish the top - as a third option.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 4:18 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Indiana Radios wrote:
John Bartley wrote:
A finish, even a worn and weathered finish that has not been redone since it left the factory is "original". That is what I would prefer as long as it is not too badly worn.
So, how badly is "not too badly' before it becomes justifiable to refinish. Everyone has their own opinions but, as for as this Strat is concerned, Steve's opinion is the most important.

I was responding to Mr Masek. Original is only original once and I’d be with Steve to leave it alone at least for now. He can always change his mind.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 6:43 pm 

Indiana Radios wrote:
This is exactly the condition I prefer to acquire my antique radios. Original and, I'm guessing, mostly unprocessed by any collector or restorer.

This is exactly how I feel. I would rather buy an original radio that needs a little work than to buy a restored radio. That's why I do minimal cleaning of an original set in good condition, and never even think of refinishing the cabinet.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 7:51 pm 

I usually buy radios that are in very good condition cosmetically. There are things you can do to fix the original finish without refinishing it. From looking at the photos, Steve's Strat falls into this category. I did buy a radio once that had a finish that was too far gone to save and had it refinished, to me it depends on the radio's condition.

Museum Curator

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 68 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next