Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 28, 2021 6:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this Detrola cabinet correct?
PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 4:21 pm 

Although listed as a Westinghouse, the radio itself is a Detrola. Is the cabinet original? (Not necessarily in original condition)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403166059621?_ ... %7Ciid%3A1

Russ

Attachments:
detrola.JPG
detrola.JPG [ 475.48 KiB | Viewed 330 times ]

Post subject: Re: Is this Detrola cabinet correct?
PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 6:00 pm 

That's a really tough call. Detrola 114 chassis is a series string table model, you can see the small speaker in this large cabinet. I've never seen anything remotely resembling this before, nor does anything like that appear in any Detrola advertising. It has a Detrola logo on the front underneath the dial.

The cabinet itself appears to be a radio cabinet that is significantly older than the chassis, by several years or more. We can't rule out the possibility that Detrola may have sourced some surplus cabinets from a furniture manufacturer or another radio manufacturer and modified them to use this chassis in. They were well known to do things like that during their first few years, and there are many other examples where surplus cabinets from other manufacturers were fitted with Detrola chassis and sold. So it could be original, meaning that the Detrola factory put that chassis into that cabinet in 1936 or 1937. It could also have been done by someone else, at any time after that. No way to prove which is the case.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 10:46 pm 

I think that's a custom cabinet which was made from a specialized furniture manufacturer. It looks to be 100% time period and in exceptionally nice original condition. I'd have no problem paying the $200 if it were local to me. I think that's the kind of cabinet which was normally sold as a blank in which any chassis could be installed if it fit.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 1:15 am 

Right, hard to say which is bigger, the speaker or the dial? :D

I can't imagine the Detrola bosses approving that installation. Waste of a beautiful cabinet.
They would want a high-end chassis and big speaker to maximize the investment.

Attachments:
Detrola mystery cnsl bk.jpg
Detrola mystery cnsl bk.jpg [ 435.49 KiB | Viewed 249 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 3:17 am 

I'm sure the speaker is not any bigger than the dial, as the series string table models with that sort of chassis usually had 5" or 6" speakers in them.

I agree that it would have been nicer to see the better transformer powered chassis with P-P 42's and a nice big Rola speaker in this cabinet, but it is what it is. The other low production Detrola built consoles usually had transformer powered chassis modified to fit the shaft holes in some existing surplus cabinet, and somewhat larger speakers. They were also nearly always sold under other private brand names such as General, or Monarch.

I doubt we will see the next one of these any time soon. But I don't recall having seen this exact cabinet with any other radio installed ever before either.

I also know from talking to many really good contacts at Detrola while they were still alive, that the management would have built only 50 of these if they could get only 50 cabinets. They loved to use surplus stuff they got for pennies on the dollar. Probably saw it as a challenge, if nothing else, to make a chassis they already were building fit into a different cabinet. I often wondered which retailers these low production models were offered to, since they could not be widely promoted or advertised.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 1:03 am 

Thanks all for your comments!
It is odd that they used such a small speaker which was one of reasons that I wondered about it.

The cabinet is most interesting, hopefully it stays as a radio and not a liquor cabinet.

Russ