Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 19, 2019 8:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Homebrew pin to phone plug adapter
PostPosted: Mar Fri 15, 2019 6:09 am 

Not long ago one of our forum-ites inquired about an adapter that would mate antique headphone and speaker tip pins with a 1/4" phone plug. Several of us replied with photos and descriptions of such ancient devices.

Well, conversely, I've needed to mate the pin tip jack output from my AK Model 20C to the 1/4" phone plug on my more modern (and better sounding) headphones. It would be simple enough to assemble a cable with pins on one end and an inline phone jack on the other, and that's what I had planned to do. I have plenty of cable and an inline phone jack on hand, but have had to order a pair of not-all-that-easy-to-find tip pins -- and wait for their delivery.

Today I got impatient and decided to experiment with a quick and easy alternative. It's illustrated below. As you can see, it consists of nothing more than the aforementioned inline jack and two short lengths of #12 solid copper wire soldered to its terminals with a little heat shrink tubing to insulate them. The wire stubs fit into the AK's phone/speaker output jack perfectly and the little assembly is rigid enough to be self supporting. It ain't pretty, but it works!

Craig
W3CRR

Attachments:
pin-to-phone adapter._1.jpg
pin-to-phone adapter._1.jpg [ 252.12 KiB | Viewed 265 times ]

Post subject: Re: Homebrew pin to phone plug adapter
PostPosted: Mar Fri 15, 2019 3:05 pm 

Great idea. I like it.
If you wanted some flexibility, you could use some stranded AWG 14 and just tin the ends for rigidity.