Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Tue 25, 2019 9:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: AM transmitter options?
PostPosted: Dec Thu 28, 2017 11:42 pm 

Rich K. wrote:
Doesn't tell me much. I know it has some frequency adjustment and antenna tuning built into it, though.

In the past month I built both the VEC-1290 and the SSTRAN AMT-3000 from the schematics on perf-board. Got all of the parts from Mouser.
Both of them worked beautifully. The -1290 does drift but only slightly. I know my car radio will loose signal lock in the driveway
when the frequency is off. A friend of mine bought the VEC kit recently and he likes it too.

Both of them sound very good on old radios. New ones too. I like to play old radio shows using my old iPod as a music source.
I'm planning on building out the frequency synthesizer portion of the AMT-3000 on a separate board to use with some other
experimental broadcast transmitters.

One thing, if anyone can tell me. When I built the AMT-3000 I got frequency jitter and the unit wouldn't transmit properly (well of course).
I found that the capacitor C30 was marked on the schematic as 180pF. There's also an illegible note under it I can't make out. So I looked
at the cut sheet for the 74HC4046 and for the frequency range used (around 1MC), the capacitor should be about 1000pF. I tried it and it locks
up perfectly now. Anyway, getting too long winded on this, but thought you'd be interested.

- Bob