Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 31, 2020 8:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Simplex X Super (clever design)
PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 5:24 pm 

For non-Americans, this radio can be a little confusing till you get more used to how Ham sets were made. One thing that confused me was the oscillator tuning which here is bang in the centre. Most will already know this too well but generally you find the oscillator is of the tickler variety. What I loved about this design is there is no need to swap and change coils. The oscillator tunes 5.2 - 5.7 megacycles with an IF of 1700 kilocycles. This then covers the 40 and 80 meter bands with a little variation in the circuit to tune in WWV at 5 megacycles.

The BFO is something I've never actually encountered in a radio I own but this Simplex X Super can receive S.S.B. signals. It uses 1700 kilocycle crystals in the IF circuit. The set can be hugely expanded by connecting a crystal converter ahead of it (schematics included in the ARRL handbook 1960).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcMQp5-jvmY

Post subject: Re: The Simplex X Super (clever design)
PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 5:30 pm 

Ham is not something I'm directly involved in and, to be honest, I've no idea at all what components can still be purchased (the transformers, 1700 kilocycle crystals, the recommended tubes and so forth. The circuit diagram to this radio is really pretty clear to follow in the handbook. It also gives information on how to align the set. For Americans there may be far more surplus stock to be found on the shelves to allow for construction of something along the lines of this receiver.

Post subject: Re: The Simplex X Super (clever design)
PostPosted: Jul Tue 02, 2019 11:55 am 

That is one sharp little receiver.