Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Fri 29, 2020 11:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: LED power light causing 2mHz interference?
PostPosted: Jul Wed 17, 2019 2:31 pm 

LED's, like all other diodes, do not have to oscillate to cause RF interference. The abrupt turn on/off of current through them produces high frequency energy. Sometimes wiring can resonate well enough at some frequency to make a good antenna but proximity alone can make up for wiring that is a bad antenna. My garage door opener's manufacturer recommends against using LED lamps. Putting capacitance across any diode will usually tame any RF generated by it. If a diode is actually oscillating then it is acting like a tunnel diode and there is no reason to suppose that it is "cheap". Other diodes may not oscillate in the same circuit and obviously you would want to use them for that application instead but that does not mean that they are higher quality, it just means that they are different. I've found that some commercial lamp socket LED bulbs work fine in the garage door opener and some do not. I just use the latter in other sockets, farther from the opener. They are high quality, reliable lamps for their intended purpose of generating light, they are just not the best choice for using next to a sensitive receiver.