Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Sun 29, 2020 5:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: hookup wire stock for homebrew equipment and radio repair
PostPosted: Oct Sat 12, 2019 6:12 pm 

This is another one of those topics that could fit a number of different sub-forums, so moderators please feel free to move this to a different one you think would be more appropriate. Just taking an informal poll here- what wire do you like to keep on hand? Specifically:

-What gauges do you find most useful? For that matter, what's most common in old radios? I'm doing more homebrewing and haven't dug inside one for a few years and don't remember specifically, though likely 22 or 24 gauge and 20 for heater wiring.

-Solid, stranded, both? Which applications do you use for each?

-Any particular colors? Multipacks with 0,2,4,5,6,9 are the most common, though ideally I'd like all 10.

-Any particular jacket type and insulation rating? Most of what's out there is 300V PVC though occasionally I find 600V. As an aside, if I could find some PTFE jacketed stuff in enough colors I'd like to upgrade the wiring on my trailers with it. Wires corrode inside PVC jacket stuff in outdoor uses.

-Preferred vendors? I'm surprised Mouser and Newark don't have more in the way of hookup wire. Found a fair amount on Amazon but there's a lot of stuff that looks like it should be avoided if the reviews are to be believed. That last question is rather important as I'm in the market to replenish my supply. I'm building a small stereo audio amp with PP 6AQ5s and I'm running low on what I had on hand except for some larger gauges not appropriate to the project.

Thanks everyone,

Scott Todd

Post subject: Re: hookup wire stock for homebrew equipment and radio repai
PostPosted: Oct Sun 13, 2019 2:10 am 

Scott:
In my years of repairing old radios, about the heaviest wire gauge I have seen used INSIDE the chassis is #18, and that only sparingly. I keep in stock #20 and #22 both stranded and solid in the standard colors of Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Gray, Violet, and White. Naturally, I use FAR more red and black than the other colors. I also keep in stock the 'look-alike' cotton covered wire in Red, White, Yellow and Green.--This I use mostly for rewiring speakers to their speaker plug. Also I keep in stock a small spool of the 'look-alike' cotton covered AC cord, which is 18 gauge. This is only for line cord replacement. I buy MOST of my wire from All Electronics in Van Nuys, CA. Here is a link to one of their wire pages: https://www.allelectronics.com/category ... oll/1.html Hope this helps.

Jerry

PostPosted: Oct Sun 13, 2019 2:58 pm 

I probably have different needs than most here because I work on a variety of old electronics as a hobby, and I also work on a variety of electronics at work. My ideal stock of wire would be in gauges 18, 20, 22, 24, and 26, in both solid and stranded, in all ten RMA colors (black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, grey, white). That is a total of 100 types of wire. I never have all 100 in stock. My variety of 26 gauge is always the smallest because it is my least used gauge, and 24 gauge the second smallest. I currently have 93 types in stock - all 20 types of 18, 20, and 22 gauge, plus all 10 colors of 24 gauge stranded. I am missing a few colors each of 24 solid, 26 solid, and 26 stranded. Every year I buy a few spools of wire to expand that stock or for restocking. Because I use 18, 20, and 22 gauge the most often I buy those in 100 foot spools, and I buy 24 and 26 gauge in 25 foot spools. I keep small spools of all of my types in a box in the Explorer for work, and the overstock in the shop. I also stock a fair variety of other types of wire and cable.

I also keep a variety of wire in the shop just for antique radio repair, such as cloth-covered hookup wire and cloth-covered speaker and power cord cable.

Dale H. Cook, Radio Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

PostPosted: Oct Sun 13, 2019 10:44 pm 

I agree with the others about gage of wire I guess. 20-22-24 for almost anything. 600V insulation which I think is typical for alot of wire. Cloth wire that I have is mostly scrounged bits and a few bulk types I have stumbled across but I have not every purchased rolls of it, and certainly do not have every color. If it is expensive I would pass on cloth wire in almost any circumstance except where it might be visible above the chassis. Bright plastic grid leads and speaker leads kind of stand out in old radios, ya know? If it has old rubber, plastic is your only alternative. Solid wire is useful maybe where you have to bend angles and such so it will stay in one place but otherwise is not essential. But if you have solid wire that is not tiny stuff, it will be OK to use under a chassis as it should not be exposed to flexing which is the enemy of that kind of wire to cause it to break. I don't have a fancy factory hookup wire dispenser rack like you can buy if you want it. Mine is all odds and ends. Partial spools, full spools, long pieces rolled up. So far I have not had a work stoppage from lack of wire. Something special, like cloth covered power cord, or battery set harnesses, well that is pretty much a buy.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 14, 2019 4:39 am 

Check out Remington Industries for wire needs, both on their company website and on eBay. I have used their products and find them to be good quality, and I believe everything they sell is manufactured by them here in the USA. They are also a major wire seller on eBay, where you can sometimes find better deals (might include free shipping) than on their website.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 14, 2019 5:43 am 

I'm just used to using stranded, usually 22 gauge, some 18 gauge, 300 volts. The relatively lengthy leads on replacement capacitors and resistors of course are solid, and useful as well, and can be sleeved if necessary with spaghetti or shrink tubing.

All Electronics has a good stock of both, in 25 and 100 foot rolls in ten different colors for each gauge, from 12 to 26.

https://www.allelectronics.com/category ... oll/1.html
https://www.allelectronics.com/category ... oll/1.html

I think for old radios, yellow, red, black, blue, and green seemed to be the most prevalent colors in the sets that I've come across, with one color for the heaters, another for the plates, and a third on occasion for the RF components.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 23, 2019 5:56 am 

I have collections of wire, kinda like some people that collect string.
Most of it was ripped out of old stereo consoles or busted TV's. Also old phono consoles had cloth covered leads from the phono to the chassis, so I have a few coils of that, in the typical dirty yellow, brown and black. When I need a few strands, I can sort thru bags and boxes for pieces close to the right length.

For green wire, strip old Xmas lights. Those strings with the plastic sockets have a long return line that works great and looks ok. I wired a relay to my trailer lights with some of that.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 26, 2019 1:42 am 

I've been using sprinkler wire for building and repairs. It is cheap and comes in pretty colors. I just cut off a couple of feet and remove the individual wires.