Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Sun 29, 2020 5:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Turning a novelty AM radio as a speakerphone/media player
PostPosted: Oct Fri 25, 2019 5:53 pm 

Good afternoon/evening/morning everyone:

I have purchased some items that'll make me turn the novelty AM radio into a multi functioning radio that'll be AM and Auxiliary for smartphones and other devices, such as tablets. My plan is to build a board that'll have momentary buttons to control the apps playback of music, audio, and other things, including using the radio to use it to answer phone calls.

Parts consist of the following:

2 Toggle switches for the antenna and auxiliary to stop the signal from going through (when listening to the radio or to listen to music from your phone, tablet, or iPod)
Headphone jack with 4 contacts (left, right, ground, and mic)
3 Momentary switches for the media control (skip back/reverse, play/pause/answer call/reject call, and skip forward/fast forward)
10K Ohm resistor for the mic to prevent power from going into the Mic itself (which is common)
0.05µF capacitor for the mic as well
220 Ohm resistor for the reverse/skip back control
600 Ohm resistor for the fast forward/skip forward control
8 Ohm speaker for the mic input
Plain logic board for the wiring and components above
Wiring that is color coated to match the wiring
Lots of solder wick and solder

There will be updates, as well as videos and testing of the board.

Post subject: Re: Turning a novelty AM radio as a speakerphone/media playe
PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 1:32 pm 

I built the board last night and unfortunately, the mic doesn't work and I cannot recall if that needs power or if the 0.05µF cap is required.

Only things that are working:

1) Speaker output
2) Play/Pause button
3) Media volume control buttons (was supposed to be skip back and skip forward, but, it works)
4) FM stations on my Samsung phone and tablet (works when the mic is at a good spot after the component transfer)
5) Toggle switches to make the audio pass through or not, as well as the antenna for allowing signal to pass through or not

Back to the old drawing board and rebuild it from scratch again and see what happens.

Edit: I moved the 3K Ohm resistor to the right side and soldered the resistor close to the wire and removed that 0.05µF cap. I then soldered a mic to the other end of the resistor, as well as the ground to the ground wire from the jack itself. All's well that ends well, plus, I get more FM stations on my tablet and phone than my car's radio.