Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Fri 05, 2020 10:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Help With "EasyEDA" PCB Program
PostPosted: Dec Thu 19, 2019 3:07 pm 

Hi Forum, This might be the wrong place to ask for advice regarding this program but here goes anyhow!
I want to use this software to design PCB's from schematics from the '50s '60s '70s, and EasyEDA, of course, has more modern symbols, has anyone had any experience with this program?

What I am looking for is advice on how to find the correct files to download that deal with vintage electronic symbols and how to import them to EasyEDA.

Again I'm not sure that this is the right place and if not could you guide me to the right place?
Thank You, Tony

Post subject: Re: Need Help With "EasyEDA" PCB Program
PostPosted: Dec Sat 21, 2019 4:08 am 

I'm not an experienced EasyEDA user - I haven't used it more than a couple of times for very basic layouts, & only to trial their PCB service - but I believe it can import part & symbol libraries from Octopart, Eagle, etc.

That said, you're unlikely to find good examples of older/custom symbols (for use in schematics) or footprints (for use in board layouts) anywhere - you'll find some, but you're at the mercy of whoever created them which can range from idiot to expert (but mostly at the lower end of that scale). Regardless of the software - from freebies like Kicad & EasyEDA, right up to the expensive pro stuff like OrCAD & Altium - you're almost always better off creating & using your own symbol/footprint/part libraries from reality (or at least datasheet dimensions).

EasyEDA Tutorial - Creating schematic libraries & symbols.
EasyEDA Tutorial - Creating PCB package libraries & footprints.

Yes, it's a learning curve. So's the whole hobby…

PostPosted: Dec Sat 21, 2019 11:03 am 

Thank You for the kind reply
Happy Holiday
Tony

PostPosted: Dec Sat 21, 2019 8:35 pm 

Just started using this too. My boards are on the way, we shall see how many mistakes. There are libraries on there made from users, i don't remember how i accessed it but the parts were much more inline to what i was using.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 22, 2019 10:06 am 

To All Good Luck, I really want to learn how to correctly use this program and have fun doing it. I will keep the insanity as positive as possible.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 30, 2019 9:15 pm 

Am I interpreting the EasyEDA web site correctly? Are they only charging $2 for 5 PCB's at the moment?

PostPosted: Dec Mon 30, 2019 10:07 pm 

Yes, they have specials for first time orders. I got 20 boards for $7 and somehow got free shipping, slow boat.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 11, 2020 3:45 pm 

Interesting. Maybe I'll have to design something. Wish I had more time on my hands. A year or two ago I was looking into creating a board or two but couldn't justify the cost. Started looking and experimenting with making my own using the Iron On process but wasn't having much luck. Was having issue with the printer not applying enough toner. It's old. I've used the toner process back in the 90's with success but those boards weren't using surface mount components.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 11, 2020 5:26 pm 

It's hard to believe that you can buy the PC boards for short money, I'm still learning about the program. For me, it will be a while until I get to making a PC board.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 11, 2020 5:43 pm 

Just got my 20 boards, footprint for the small resistors (1/4 w 1/2w?) they use these days is kind of tight but that was my own fault for not measuring the footprint with leads folded in. Also, the traces are small but i don't remember changing the default size, it works, only microamps but i would have liked the traces bigger. Took 3 weeks for delivery cheapest shipping.