Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Tue 02, 2020 7:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Radio Shack 15-1118 antenna amplifier mod
PostPosted: Jan Tue 21, 2020 9:03 pm 

Ok,

I have no idea where to post this so...

I have a Radio Shack antenna amplifier and I was wondering since this was meant for cable TV use, it was only designed to amplify from 54 to 450 MHz. Since the DTV spectrum is now cutoff from about 600 MHz I was wondering if anyone has any idea what this amplifier's frequency response really is, and if there is a modification that would allow it to reach to the new cutoff point (UHF channel 36).

I opened mine to find a very simple looking circuit board with one transistor and a bunch of resistors, capacitors, and coils. Lacking a proper schematic, I would be dead in the water if I were to try myself, but would like to know if anyone had made changes to extend the usable frequency range.

Tony

Post subject: Re: Radio Shack 15-1118 antenna amplifier mod
PostPosted: Jan Tue 21, 2020 9:14 pm 

I would put in inline and try it. The gain may be less beyond 450 but it may still work fine. It all depends what the circuit is, be it a discrete transistor circuit with low pass and matching networks or a simple gain block amplifier.

https://ornerscorner.neocities.org

Post subject: Re: Radio Shack 15-1118 antenna amplifier mod
PostPosted: Jan Wed 22, 2020 4:04 am 

It appeard to be a regular TO-92 transistor. If I could get my hands on a schematic, I could see what could be done.

I did try it with one of those square window antennas and there were just a couple more channels that came in with it as opposed to unamplified so maybe it does have more bandwidth just with lower gain past the 450 MHz range. I have to keep in mind this was not designed for what I'm doing with it. I went to the FCC website to look up the actual RF channels that are broadcast in my area and was surprised to see most are now UHF, but there are still many in the VHF spectrum with no rhyme or reason to what channel is used and what is displayed on the TV.

Thanks for the reply.