Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 20, 2020 3:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Back to the basic "basics" so bear with me
PostPosted: May Tue 26, 2020 8:08 pm 

Here is a photo from the original thread on this radio viewtopic.php?f=6&t=361619&p=3059427. What I called trimmers are the small variable capacitors to the right of the main tuners.
Attachment:
six2.jpg
six2.jpg [ 350.14 KiB | Viewed 733 times ]

PostPosted: May Tue 26, 2020 10:27 pm 

Jeff, attached is an image that has one trimmer circled in red. I simply do not understand it as one could not get to it unless they opened the lid on the radio which would seem very unhandy for a normal operator to do. Did you mean to also set it at mid position or just the two that can be controlled from the face of the radio?

Don

Attachments:
question2.jpg
question2.jpg [ 347.33 KiB | Viewed 730 times ]

PostPosted: May Tue 26, 2020 10:34 pm 

Chas wrote:
According to the "schematic" note the quotes :roll: The radio is supposed to have trimmers for alignment of the tuning condenser sections. Shifting the rotors will reduce the overall rotation by what ever amount is done to achieve some sort of tracking. There is some risk of cracking pot metal rotors if they are potmetal...

Either at "0" or "100" set all the rotors the same.

Look for a station at "50" and align to that. If more stations and or sensitivity is greater above "50", choose "45" as the alignment and so forth...

The schematic seems to indicate that there were optional neutralizers, however if the RF coils are not tapped then these cannot be installed.

Further, seems that a poor solder joint held the radio back from initially performing. IMNSOHO re-solder everything,, even if it "looks" good. re-solder the pins of the tubes and tease the contacts of the sockets. Take a dead 4-pin tube or just its base, sandpaper the sides of the pins with very coarse sand paper in a circular motion, take that base and insert/remove at least 10 or more times for each socket. The roughened pins will burnish the socket contacts at the correct diameter of the pin, removing the tin oxide without removing excessive material at exactly the correct point of contact.

GL

Chas, so you want me to make sandpaper out of a dud tube. :D Actually sounds like a good idea because the contacts would get cleaned at exactly the correct place to match the pins. I will get to the trimmers once I get my new power supply powering the radio. Unfortunately I think that we are going to be in the middle of thunderstorms most of the evening/night....already under a tornado watch.

Don

Chas

PostPosted: May Tue 26, 2020 10:51 pm 

I think the rear trimmer would be set depending on the antenna and then left there. What is the name on the front panel for the other two? Do any of them make a difference when a station is tuned in? Maybe better to not mess with the main tuner set screws for now, try to peak the signals with the small tuners till you get used to how the radio tunes.

I think in use, the rear trimmer is set to peak signal and left there unless the antenna is changed in some way. Then as you tune up and down the band the other trimmers would be adjusted slightly left or right as the frequency is changed.

Can you tell if the trimmers are connected the way I drew them in? That is, connected across the main tuner rotor/stator?

Does the volume control seem to work?

For documentation, do your ARBE B and C connections match the colors I listed?

PostPosted: May Wed 27, 2020 12:01 am 

Quote:
Unfortunately I think that we are going to be in the middle of thunderstorms most of the evening/night....already under a tornado watch.
Getting everything "nailed down" is much more important.

Tornadoes are very, very rare here, but Hurricanes have been known to re-write the coastline and send more of Cape Cod into the sea...

The last one remodeled Horseneck Beach...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseneck ... eservation

Stay Save!

Chas

PostPosted: May Wed 27, 2020 4:25 am 

jrehkopf wrote:
I think the rear trimmer would be set depending on the antenna and then left there. What is the name on the front panel for the other two? Do any of them make a difference when a station is tuned in? Maybe better to not mess with the main tuner set screws for now, try to peak the signals with the small tuners till you get used to how the radio tunes.
I think in use, the rear trimmer is set to peak signal and left there unless the antenna is changed in some way. Then as you tune up and down the band the other trimmers would be adjusted slightly left or right as the frequency is changed.
Can you tell if the trimmers are connected the way I drew them in? That is, connected across the main tuner rotor/stator?
Does the volume control seem to work?
For documentation, do your ARBE B and C connections match the colors I listed?

Jeff, I don't have have the answers to all of your questions but I do have the following info.

- The ARBE III connections do match what you suggested (see attached image).
- The volume control does work.
- The knob that controls the front two trimmers says "CLARITY" and it does make a BIG difference.
- WHO out of Des Moines is 1040 and shows 20 on my radio.
- WBAP out of Fort Worth is 820 and shows 40 on my radio.
- WLM out of Cincinnati is 700 and shows 60 on my radio.

That is all of the info that I have tonight. Now I have to update one website that I maintain.

Don

Attachments:
colors.jpg
colors.jpg [ 307.27 KiB | Viewed 714 times ]

PostPosted: May Thu 28, 2020 10:35 pm 

Thanks, I just wanted to verify what I put on the schematic. Good job on sticking with it.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 01, 2020 3:41 am 

Just in case anyone wanted to see the final results after it is all working I have attached three images. Getting the 6 amps of 3 volts was what I had the most trouble with. If you remember my power supply was causing a lot of static so I had to go another route. I finally went with a 12 volt battery which you can see at https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXPERTPOWER-12 ... 2749.l2649 on eBay and a DROK DC Converter which you can find at https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Supply-M ... 2749.l2649 also on eBay. The combination worked great and I am sure that I will use it in the future, although I don't know what for yet.

The cabinet and face plate were in so-so condition so I had to refinish the top, freshen up the sides, and and after trying several different things on the face plate so as not to remove the design and lettering I ended up just cleaning it good, but gently, and then applying a few coats of gloss lacquer to bring out the gold design and lettering.

Anyway, it is not perfect but it works and I had simply spent too much time on it to do any better.

Thanks to everyone that helped along the way.

Don

Attachments:
liberty1.jpg
liberty1.jpg [ 519.38 KiB | Viewed 567 times ]
liberty2.jpg
liberty2.jpg [ 827.79 KiB | Viewed 567 times ]
liberty3.jpg
liberty3.jpg [ 470.64 KiB | Viewed 567 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Wed 01, 2020 5:45 am 

It looks great, congrats!

PostPosted: Jul Wed 01, 2020 6:08 am 

Outstanding, a "Flagship" piece for your collection. Sits on a table by itself, set up to operate. Visitors are encouraged to look inside.

Fine craftsmanship!

Chas