Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 28, 2020 4:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: help converting my antique radio from a tube in bluetooth
PostPosted: Sep Tue 29, 2020 3:24 pm 

I have a RCA 56x3 tube radio. It doesnt work and I currently don't want to spend the money to replace some of the tubes and the capacitors. I'll eventually get to it just not right now.

So, what I want to do is gut the inside of the radio and convert it into a Bluetooth stereo. I'm pretty new to working with electronics, but I've been researching a lot of ways to make amplifiers and Bluetooth receivers. I'm running into a problem though because it seems like all the amplifiers I look at are battery powered. I want to make the device plug into the wall.

Any suggestions on how I should do this? Thank you!10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254

Last edited by lukahils2 on Sep Wed 30, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: help converting my antique radio from a tube in bluetoot
PostPosted: Sep Tue 29, 2020 4:13 pm 

I've done this with a few of my radios which leaves the electronics in the radio as found. I use small AC powered DC supply and a bluetooth amlifier. They make the DC supplies small enough that you could mount in the radio. Some of these bluetooth amplifiers can be bridged if you plan to only use one speaker. I also added some LED's to light the dials.
Here is two radios I did this with.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=336197

PostPosted: Sep Tue 29, 2020 4:27 pm 

For $39 you can remove the guts to this system and put them into your radio cabinet. I used one to install into a custom speaker cabinet that was a copy of a vintage Wurlitzer jukebox speaker. It works and sounds great. It's AC or battery powered. On Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-1000W-Portab ... Sw8Qld-DSt

PostPosted: Sep Tue 29, 2020 4:35 pm 

You would spend far less time and money restoring the radio to operation than gutting it as you say and installing a modern bluetooth system.

Bluetooth can be added to an old radio fairly easily and use the electronics it came with. :D

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2020 1:42 pm 

IF the chassis is not electronically restored, and parts replaced to avoid failures or fix failures, there is no point in hooking a bluetooth input to it. And the old speaker may not be compatible. Thus you might as well take out the insides and store them and just get a bluetooth amplifier system and new speaker to install in the cabinet. If the old speaker is a permanent magnet type, not electrodynamic that uses high voltage for the electromagnet, it could work but may or may not sound good enough for you. IF it is working right. The radio conversions depend on the radio itself being functional enough for the audio amplifiers to be working correctly and thus the power supply also working correctly. It just bypasses the RF part of the radio. And then you need electrical isolation if the radio is directly AC powered instead of having a power transformer for isolation from the line.