Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 24, 2021 4:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Slope detection of broadcast FM?
PostPosted: Aug Thu 12, 2021 7:18 pm 

Isn't thwt the transceiver in the 1968 ARRL Handbook? Probably in other than editions around then, and in QST originally.

QST isn't officially online, except to ARRL members, and onky a few Handbooks (thkugh I think the 1968 one has been scanned). Back issues of CQ are by payment. They might each sell more if they put the cumulative index online.

People have put schematics online, but usually just that. Often not even adate of publication, let alone details in the actual article.

I always bought as many books and magazines as I could, going back fifty years. Hopefully used. I go to a lot of used book sales, and while radio and electronic books are rare, I grab them when I can. Too cheapp to leave behind.

Having reference books meant being independent. That does still count.

So I have a good idea what's been published going back to the fifties. Often I can picture an article, and general date, but too.much work to narrow it down.

Post subject: Re: Slope detection of broadcast FM?
PostPosted: Aug Fri 13, 2021 11:47 pm 

mblack wrote:

Having reference books meant being independent. That does still count.

Yes I think it still counts.

There is a tendency of the younger generation to think if it is not on the internet, it doesn't exist.

Here is one example, years ago back in the 1970's I had an elderly gentleman friend who was a retired TV tech, he was about 80 then. One day, when I was helping him work on his car, I saw an odd looking aluminium cast canister bolted to the firewall with some thin diameter copper tubes connected to it. He told me is was a popular idea in the 1920's era, to get more use out of the engine oil, and was published in an old popular mechanics magazine. The idea was that oil slowly passed from the engine oil gallery to the container and back to the sump. He then explained as a filter, it used a standard household toilet roll.

30 years passed by and I had forgotten all about it, then around the year 2000, I was watching a TV show called "The New Inventors" or something like that. A guy presented this design to the Judges, who presumably searched the internet, found nothing. They awarded him first prize and said, what a wonderfully green invention you have created, it ticks all the boxes and makes car engine oil last longer, helping to save our planet. The accolades stopped nothing short of telling him it could somehow save the whales too and plug up holes in the ozone layer.

Not a lot different than a story I heard recently where a 3 year old girl was taken into a day care center, to distract her, while the adults were talking, she was sat down on a chair and given a picture book to look at with a colorful picture on the front of it. She tried to use her fingers to stretch it to a larger size, like you would on an iPad or tablet. She was unfamiliar with a real book.

Most of the really interesting stuff I think is yet to be scanned in. There is the risk of course, if it doesn't get done, we may lose many books. Some libraries are selling off their old books, I have a number of technical books from the 1930's era that were sold off.