Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 28, 2021 7:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How To Properly Install a On Off Slide Switche ?
PostPosted: May Mon 31, 2021 2:43 pm 

How To Properly Install Slide Switche ?

I always have trouble installing a On off slide awitch and it always ends up looking terrible..

Does anyone out there have any ideas or sugestions on how to properly cut out and mount a slide switch which will look proffessional done ?

Frank512

Post subject: Re: How To Properly Install a On Off Slide Switche ?
PostPosted: May Mon 31, 2021 4:45 pm 

Haven't done one for a while, but in aluminum, I would use a nibbler, then finish with a file, if needed.

Rich

PostPosted: May Mon 31, 2021 10:20 pm 

I carefully draw the outline of the cutout on the material. Then I drill two holes of the largest size that will not go outside the outline (start small and work up to it in case the drill "walks"). Next file the opening rectangular still staying inside the outline. Now try the switch; notice where it doesn't fit; file a little there. Keep doing this till you have the hole you want. Needle files are needed.

Who's that swimming in the punch bowl?
It's Walter Wart, the freaky frog!

PostPosted: Jun Tue 01, 2021 1:58 am 

Dremel cut off wheels and diamond wheels will cut through steel or aluminum in a straight line. The cut-off wheels like to break. If the Dremel diamond wheel is too big a diameter for the size of cut you're trying to make, Harbor Freight has some diamond cut off wheels that are smaller diameter. Otherwise the nibbler is my go-to tool.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 01, 2021 10:04 pm 

Button head or washer head screws will look better and they won't have any sharp edges to catch your finger...

PostPosted: Jun Tue 01, 2021 11:20 pm 

I prefer top mount vs under mount as two of the sides of the hole are hidden.
Get the switch to fit, then drill the mount holes last.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 02, 2021 5:11 pm 

Many thanks to everyone fhat responded and for your great suggestions.

Hi Im, I think that I will follow your instructions and hopefully it work out fine.

Frank512

PostPosted: Jun Thu 03, 2021 3:48 am 

Rectangular holes in panels are a pain, especially if you don't have a metal shop and machinist at hand. A die filer can be real handy.

Sometimes the really small switches don't look too bad with a round hole for the actuator.

If you don't actually have to use a slide switch, it is worth looking for a switch that uses a round hole. A toggle switch is easy.

Even a rocker switch that fits a rectangular hole often mounts from the front, and has a rim that covers the edges of the hole.

Ted

PostPosted: Jun Thu 03, 2021 1:17 pm 

As usual I tend to disagree with much of the advice given about construction practices, perhaps because I am a disagreeable person.

But also I am a "construction fanatic" and everything I make has to look perfect, even if it was made by hand, I try to make it look like a machine made it. For this reason I never use a nibbler as they create geometric distortions in the cut edges of the panel which disagree with me.

Have a look at the two panels in this article, in one case I cut and filed & smoothed the large rectangular holes by hand, in the other case they were done with a rectangular computer controlled punch see page 2. Large rectangular holes are even more challenging than small ones:

http://www.worldphaco.com/uploads/EXTERNAL_DUAL_5.pdf

So, I am forever doing things like protecting surfaces from scratches while I work on them. Making sure when I file rectangular holes it looks like a professional cutter did it, smoothing the hole perimeters with fine grades of paper, even when the edges are covered by objects that past through the holes. And in steel chassis I always paint the cut hole edges to prevent rusting. But I may well have a Psychiatric disease, that has not yet appeared in the DSM. Also, after filing the holes, I usually wrap 1000 grade paper around the file to finish the hole edges.

In any case, here is the solution to your question:

The first move, related to mounting a slide switch, is to accurately measure the hole spacing for the slide switch you intend to mount.

Mark these from the edges of a dial micrometer. Under magnification use a sharp spike to mark the holes in the material. Then with a 1mm drill, in a hand held pin chuck, start the hole by hand. Once a small countersink in the surface is evident, then in the drill press use a 1.5mm drill to make the pilot hole. Then after that, the hole centering is assured and you can drill and tap it if you like. If I want strong threads in the material, especially aluminium, I use a Roll Tap. Look these up if you are not familiar with them. Or use a hole with screws & nuts. Most slide switches have two threaded holes in their metal shell already, so make the holes in the panel just enough to provide clearance for the screws.

Now that the two mounting holes are done, ideally you have a sacrificial switch, that is is same as the one you need to mount. Pull it to pieces and just mount, on the screw holes, its metal shell alone. Then you can do one of two things, with a scribe mark the rectangular area for drilling & filing, or just leave the steel shell there and as you file out the panel material, stop just as the file touches the edges of the steel shell. Then you will have your beloved perfectly rectangular metal hole, that exactly matches the requirement for the particular switch, not bigger and not smaller and perfectly centered.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 29, 2021 4:03 pm 

Quote:
Then you can do one of two things, with a scribe mark the rectangular area for drilling & filing, or just leave the steel shell there and as you file out the panel material, stop just as the file touches the edges of the steel shell. Then you will have your beloved perfectly rectangular metal hole, that exactly matches the requirement for the particular switch, not bigger and not smaller and perfectly centered.

Brilliant!