Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 04, 2021 3:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Antennae question
PostPosted: Jul Fri 16, 2021 6:20 pm 

Picked up a cheap Akai AA-R1 from an antique mall for $10. Most of it works just fine and suits my low budget purposes. However, there were no antennae with it for the AM or FM bands. I improvised a FM antennae which works adequately but, I need to get something for the AM band. The original antennae appears to have been a rectangular shaped loop. In looking on EBay for an antennae I see Ferrite bar AM antennae. Would this work or should I look for a loop antennae? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Antennae question
PostPosted: Jul Fri 16, 2021 9:04 pm 

keith1898 wrote:
Picked up a cheap Akai AA-R1 from an antique mall for $10. ... In looking on EBay for an antennae I see Ferrite bar AM antennae. Would this work or should I look for a loop antennae? Thanks.
The ferrite bar loop will probably work. There are also a bunch of circular AM loop antennas on ebay for about $7 or $8 that should also work (get one of the ones with just 2 wires and no connector). They all have a small base and can just sit behind your radio and avoids trying to figure out how to mount it to the case. The original loop was rectangular plastic and bolted to the case. It was susceptible to getting broken off and that's probably why yours was missing.

Whatever you choose won't hurt anything and will probably work just fine.

Curtis Eickereman

PostPosted: Jul Fri 16, 2021 9:11 pm 

Thank you, that is info I was seeking.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 28, 2021 9:39 pm 

Got one of those EBay loop antennae and hooked it up. It does work, but there is one station I would like to listen to that it will not bring in. Will reception improve with two of these loop antennae either wired in series or parallel? I was wondering too about the old tube radios that had the antennae wound flat and glued to the inside of the back cover. Would adapting one of those work? Thanks.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 28, 2021 10:45 pm 

I'm not sure what "antennae" you got off eBay, but I'm assuming it's a fixed loop.

Get a tunable loop, such as one of these;
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... a&_sacat=0

Or you can make a larger one for around 20 bucks.

These primarily work via inductive coupling. You place it next to the radio's loop, and tune it in conjunction with the radios tuner. When you get the station you want, adjust it's frequency to peak clarity and volume, and then rotate it for best reception. They work with any AM radio.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 29, 2021 12:28 am 

Yes, I bought a fixed loop antenna for about $8. It came with two tinned leads that I inserted the black into the AM Antenna connection and the white lead to the chassis ground connection. The loop is on a lead several feet long and can be positioned in any direction desired away from the tuner..

The Tunable Loops I looked at on EBay are a little confusing to me. Do I position my fixed loop for best reception and then place the tunable loop next to the fixed loop? I see a cord with two male plugs that comes with the tunable loop: I assume one end plugs into the tunable loop and the other end somewhere on the tuner???

PostPosted: Jul Thu 29, 2021 12:46 am 

Is the external antenna part of a tuned circuit in this set? If it is, you need to somehow adjust the inductance of the replacement to match that of the original.

Is there any service data for this unit out there somewhere?

Sometimes you can remove the cover and sort of figure it out, but a schematic would be nice.

Ted

PostPosted: Jul Thu 29, 2021 2:06 am 

keith1898 wrote:

The Tunable Loops I looked at on EBay are a little confusing to me. Do I position my fixed loop for best reception and then place the tunable loop next to the fixed loop? I see a cord with two male plugs that comes with the tunable loop: I assume one end plugs into the tunable loop and the other end somewhere on the tuner???

I have one of those sitting on top of a TRF console, which only has an antenna coupling coil, to connect to an external wire. In that situation, one lead from the tunable loop connects to the antenna coupling coil, and the other to the sets chassis.

However, to use with a radio that has an antenna, you would place the tunable loop next to it. As I mentioned, the scheme is for inductive coupling (like a transformers two coils). Once the station is received, you can move the loop, angle, place farther back or closer up, alongside, etc., to get either the strongest signal or the best interference suppression.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 29, 2021 1:27 pm 

Usually Lurking wrote:
Is the external antenna part of a tuned circuit in this set? If it is, you need to somehow adjust the inductance of the replacement to match that of the original.

Is there any service data for this unit out there somewhere?

Sometimes you can remove the cover and sort of figure it out, but a schematic would be nice.

Ted
I will look around for a schematic. Thanks.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 29, 2021 1:29 pm 

fifties wrote:
keith1898 wrote:

I have one of those sitting on top of a TRF console, which only has an antenna coupling coil, to connect to an external wire. In that situation, one lead from the tunable loop connects to the antenna coupling coil, and the other to the sets chassis.

However, to use with a radio that has an antenna, you would place the tunable loop next to it. As I mentioned, the scheme is for inductive coupling (like a transformers two coils). Once the station is received, you can move the loop, angle, place farther back or closer up, alongside, etc., to get either the strongest signal or the best interference suppression.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 29, 2021 1:35 pm 

This is a photo of one with the original rectangular shaped fixed loop antenna on the back.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 29, 2021 8:13 pm 

This is a common sort of AM antenna on "newer" tuners. I have one running at the moment, but have no service data and it's all wired-up and not convenient to get-to.

My impression is that at least some of these have an antenna coil inside, and that the external loop is just a few turns. But as with an old 30's set, I think that often the loop is part of the tuned circuit, along with the internal coil.

Do you have a signal generator or GDO? One or the other might come in handy here. Otherwise, trial and error can work, but it would help to know what you are doing. Do you know anyone with a ham shack? No, not a smokehouse!

Ted

PostPosted: Jul Fri 30, 2021 12:35 am 

Usually Lurking wrote:

My impression is that at least some of these have an antenna coil inside, and that the external loop is just a few turns. But as with an old 30's set, I think that often the loop is part of the tuned circuit, along with the internal coil.

I can't see two separate antenna coils as being correct. I have a 15 year old Sony AM/FM receiver similar in shape to the OP's, with the same style plastic encased loop. It's the only antenna for AM reception.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 30, 2021 4:39 am 

I appreciate the attempt to help by all and it has been educational and interesting. But, it is evolving past my needs so I am going to be content with my $8 fixed loop and the half dozen stations I receive. Maybe some time in the future I will desire to go further with it. Regards.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 30, 2021 5:38 am 

Now he can improve his little antenna with a Tecsun loop, or connect it directly.

Attachments:
tecsun_an_200.png
tecsun_an_200.png [ 7.09 KiB | Viewed 747 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Tue 03, 2021 4:36 pm 

I have the tecsun 200 and i built my own 3 footer. You can imagine how the bigger one has a lot more drawing power.

Bill