Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 20, 2021 8:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Short antenna capacitance
PostPosted: Aug Mon 16, 2021 12:10 am 

I want to understand is how to calculate the self capacitance of a simple Part 15 antenna wire.

On my LM386 transmitter, the final is an MPSA18 NPN transistor. The collector is fed by the LM386 through a 2 mH choke. The collector also goes to the antenna via a 157 uH coil shunted to ground on the antenna end by a 4 pF capacitor, peaking at 1680 KHz.

Resonance calculators say the capacitance must be 56 pF. So where's the other 52 pF? Does the wire antenna have that much capacitance? Does the capacitance in the transistor figure in? If so, what part of the transistor contributes to the capacitance stack? THANKS.

Post subject: Re: Short antenna capacitance
PostPosted: Aug Mon 16, 2021 12:31 am 

Macrohenry wrote:
I want to understand is how to calculate the self capacitance of a simple Part 15 antenna wire.

On my LM386 transmitter, the final is an MPSA18 NPN transistor. The collector is fed by the LM386 through a 2 mH choke. The collector also goes to the antenna via a 157 uH coil shunted to ground on the antenna end by a 4 pF capacitor, peaking at 1680 KHz.

Resonance calculators say the capacitance must be 56 pF. So where's the other 52 pF? Does the wire antenna have that much capacitance? Does the capacitance in the transistor figure in? If so, what part of the transistor contributes to the capacitance stack? THANKS.
https://badw.de/fileadmin/members/R/368 ... tionMJ.pdf This article points out that electrically short antennas can easily amount to 25 pF/meter. So a 6 to 10 ft antenna could easily amount to a capacitance in the range you are estimating.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Aug Tue 17, 2021 6:15 pm 

Here you go: https://www.everythingrf.com/rf-calculators/whip-antenna-calculator
Here's a sample using a 118" (~3 meter), 1/8" dia. rod at 1680Khz:
Attachment:
Sample whip ant calc.jpg
Sample whip ant calc.jpg [ 68.15 KiB | Viewed 2963 times ]

John

PostPosted: Aug Tue 17, 2021 6:59 pm 

Well, there you go. I love definitive answers. I can see exactly where that missing capacitance is. THANKS Curtis and John.