Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 18, 2021 3:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Capacitor mounting brackets
PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 2:37 pm 

Does anyone know where to buy capacitor mounting brackets? I have to move my tuning capacitor back from front panel,hand capacitance problems on SW. I suppose I could buy a small piece of sheet metal and make my own. What do you guys suggest?

Post subject: Re: Capacitor mounting brackets
PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 3:35 pm 

Just about all Var. Caps mount from different positions, ie, front, rear and bottom. I would suggest some various small angle brackets from the hardware store for front and rear mounts and stand-off's for bottom mounts (or various larger holed nuts). Some pictures could bring other ideas!

Dale

Post subject: Re: Capacitor mounting brackets
PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 4:26 pm 

Sheet metal, copper foil, tin plated steel. Try to keep the metal as far as possible from any inductors. Generally at least as far away as the diameter of the inductor. The shield would go to ground or a common low potential circuit in the radio.

Another reason a radio set can have hand capacity effect is the path to EARTH ground is too long and has become part of the antenna putting the radio in the "middle". If grasping the ground wire a few feet away has an effect, then it is too long.

The front end tuning design can also be the issue, often in combination with the ground...

GL

Chas