Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 16, 2021 3:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: H H Scott 355 or 399 Cabinet Sizes
PostPosted: May Sat 15, 2021 5:04 pm 

Greetings - I've been trying to locate a cabinet for a Scott 355 receiver for a while now but am having trouble finding the correct size. I've searched the web and asked here previously, no joy beyond some info Don Cavey gave me on the 200 series cabinets.

There doesn't seem to be a lot online about these sets and I can find nothing about their correct cabinets beyond something like Wide G or Tall G. Unfortunately no one selling a cabinet seems to know what this means, and I don't have the actual measurements.

Are there any 355 or 399 owners on here who can measure even the outside dimensions of their cabinet? Even the side height would be a huge help.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: H H Scott 355 or 399 Cabinet Sizes
PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 4:06 pm 

Not sure and the HH Scott site does NOT give the type of cabinet. But if it helps (if you own one and can check) here are the dimensions of the "G" cabinet that is for the 340B , 345 or 380. Not sure if it is the same!!!! Below, my comments on AK.

"I measured a factory HH Scott walnut veneer cabinet that is on one of my 340B receivers.

INTERNAL measurements:

Width 16 ½ inches
Height 5 ¼ inches
Depth 16 inches

Depth overall, not measured from the set back, and there is 2 ½ inches of cabinet beyond the back of the chassis."

PostPosted: May Fri 21, 2021 8:46 pm 

Thanks Don -

Yes, those measurements would work fine. My 355 measures 16 wide by 5" high with a bit more needed for the self-tapping screws in the chassis to clear. I don't have the extra add-on amp section on mine, it's just the tuner & preamp. The 399 may actually be a bit taller, never actually seen or measured one.

No idea if the later models used the same style wooden cabinets? I recall some had more of a metal shell cover.

PostPosted: May Sat 22, 2021 9:24 pm 

The metal cabinet was an inexpensive option to the walnut veneer wooden cabinet. They even made a mahogany veneer cabinet. I have one but they were not nearly as popular. Mahogany was a thing in the 50s and these receivers/amplifiers/tuners were in the 60s and Danish modern oiled walnut was the rage then. Some of the later metal cabinets had plastic woodgrain simulated covering too. The early metal cabinets were supposed to resemble leather.