Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 06, 2019 9:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Any PROJECT/one Owners?
PostPosted: Mar Thu 10, 2016 7:41 pm 

I just purchased my second PROJECT/one receiver, a Mark I. A nice little unit. My other is a Mark IIIB. Also nice. Bigger unit. It's my current daily driver in my "Downstairs Retro Music Lounge."
I had read about a year ago that the PROJECT/one receivers were made by Pioneer for the stereo chain stores "Playback." The Mark I certainly looks like the SX series made by Pioneer (I had an SX 535).
Will try to remember to post a pic of them. At work right now, and can't do that.
RW

Post subject: Re: Any PROJECT/one Owners?
PostPosted: Mar Thu 17, 2016 4:41 pm 

Hi RW; I got a Project One receiver last year. Seller said one channel didn't work. A bit of cleaning with Deoxit and it works very well. I like it and I also heard that it might be a Pioneer re-label. It seems well made and quite powerfull.
Good luck with yours.

Ron

PostPosted: Feb Sun 26, 2017 3:41 am 

I could swear I came across something on the web a few years ago that indicated the Project One brand was a house brand for the chain called Century Electronics or maybe it was 20th Century Electronics. It seems the way internet searches work now, aiming the surfer towards sites that sell something, that now that information isn't included in the search reults, or quite possibly I'm remembering it wrong.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 26, 2017 4:06 pm 

It was the house brand for Pacific Stereo. Not sure who made them, but don't think it was Pioneer. Most likely Foster, Hitachi, something like that. They are actually well regarded for private label.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 26, 2017 4:42 pm 

Sounds like they were house brand for more than one chain. The two that I have bear a very close resemblance to Pioneer. And if I recall, there was a thread on the PROJECT/one brand on audiokarma dot com that said they were made by Pioneer. I'll have to look for that.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 6:36 pm 

I have owned, and bought it new in high school, a Project One Mark IV B SOLID STATE STEREO RECEIVER. Still have original box and receipt. They were a house Brand sold by Playback Audio, a chain of stereo dept. stores in Chicagoland in the 70's 80's. I paid $549.99 FOR THIS RECEIVER AND $440.00 FOR A PAIR OF HED CERWIN VEGA SPEAKERS AN A PAIR OF BOSE 901'S. MY PALS WOULD FLOCK TO BASEMENT TO LISTEN TO PINK FLOYD, SABBATH, STONES, DEEP PURPLE ...ETC TO GET STONED AND LISTEN TO UNDISTORTED 110DB MUSIC....AAAAH THE GOOD OLD DAYS. I NEED TO REPLACE A VU METER AND THE TUNNING SIGNAL STRENGTH METER TO BRING IT BACK TO PERFECT. IT HAS NOT SKIPPE A BEAT AND IS A 50 POUND TANK. HAND BUILT AND WELL MADE. MOSTLY PIONEER COMPONENTS