Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sat 21, 2019 1:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SoundScriber S-124 Reel to Reel 24 hour Tape Recorder
PostPosted: Jul Sun 29, 2018 8:55 am 

Here is a SoundScriber S-124 which uses 2" reel to reel tape.

http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=vintageelectronics&cart_id=26811.49280&product=name:%238727&exact_match=on&return_page=cart.cgi?store=vintageelectronics%26cart_id=26811.49280%26new_frontpage=new0

I suppose it could be a data recorder of some sort? A telephone monitoring device?

This is on John Kendall's website. Sometimes there are some very curious/interesting pieces of equipment which he has posted.

I have no financial interest in this item. I also have way too many projects already.

What on earth would I do with it? :(

In a quick search I found the manual for this beast (111 pages) on loc.gov here:

https://memory.loc.gov/master/mbrs/recording_preservation/manuals/Soundscriber%20Model%20S-124%20(manual).pdf

I noticed during the download (at least for me) that it would slow pause for a few seconds and then continue.

In the Addendum/Revision area, I found this quite amusing/interesting.

13. Old grease and oil shal be removed with a KS-2423 Twill Jean Cloth before applying new grease or oil.

Post subject: Re: SoundScriber S-124 Reel to Reel 24 hour Tape Recorder
PostPosted: Aug Thu 02, 2018 4:15 am 

I served on an aircraft carrier (USS Coral Sea CVA-43) during the 'Nam era as a radar operator. We had several of these recording devices that were used to record the radar air control operators' conversations between the ship and the pilots. I'm sure it was a CYA thing in case there was a FUBAR somewhere and proof was needed to determine a cause. A bulk eraser was used when recycling the tapes. Audio response was not critical as ship to plane audio was very narrow bandwidth VHF FM.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 02, 2018 11:25 am 

That now makes sense as I saw mention of it being used for military (navy) in the few pages I read of the manual. Seems the audio bandwidth isn't even land line audio quality of the old analog days.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 03, 2018 5:10 pm 

Hello Monarke4, do you know if there are other Soundscriber S124 systems available for purchase or whether someone who has one has the capability of transcribing from an old 1965 reel that I have in hand? Thanks for any help you can offer. The link in your previous post is no longer found because I'm sure that device is no longer available, now. Thanks.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 04, 2018 12:11 pm 

miranda9 wrote:
Hello Monarke4, do you know if there are other Soundscriber S124 systems available for purchase or whether someone who has one has the capability of transcribing from an old 1965 reel that I have in hand? Thanks for any help you can offer. The link in your previous post is no longer found because I'm sure that device is no longer available, now. Thanks.

I do not, I only posted the link as I found the piece of equipment curious.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 05, 2018 10:40 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
Radio and TV stations had them by the boatload back in the day. I would check around the vintage broadcast equipment supply outlets like the guy that found the last three surviving Blattnerphone recorders and made one out of the lot so the Australian broadcasting Company could transfer their previously thought to be lost recordings.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 19, 2019 4:51 pm 

miranda9 wrote:

There are still more of these available on eBay.... There was actually a transistorized version "S-124-C"

A 44 minute video on Youtube of one in operation and the internal workings.

https://youtu.be/CZvDKL1hnms