Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 07, 2019 2:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Bell Amplifier Restoration Finished
PostPosted: Aug Mon 05, 2019 3:25 am 

All looks showroom floor worthy, Steve, very nice!! :) I may have an all octal mixer amp to spare for next summer's project :?: if interested, though it wouldn't be a Bell from Columbus...I've only come across their Hi-Fi before
-Kent

PostPosted: Aug Mon 05, 2019 3:39 am 

hi kent,

thanks

send me some pics sometime of the mixer amp.

do you still have my email address ?

steve

PostPosted: Aug Mon 05, 2019 4:19 am 

Yes, I retrieved the address from old PM's so have it handy....
What I can think of off the top of my head that's all octal, art deco style and nice are:

1956 RCA MI-13299-A Deluxe Amplifier (50 watts 807's, 4 channels w/ mic input transformer capability and 6SF5's for pre's, already rebuilt by a friend over ten years ago, probably needs a rehabbing...I restored the cab over the years and still have photos of it's horrendous condition when I received it from southern Indiana ...
Operadio 1A140 (6V6G p/p) Nice, untouched except for tube testing and wrangling
Rauland 1916 "Green Gem" as above,...

There may be more... (I'll have to look around)

Also have many nice octal preamplifier mixers for recording (more than I can possibly ever use :cry: )
A "Newcomb KX-6A" for example..
If possibly interested in those, too, I can send photos to your email as well...

All this year I've been attempting to build a pair of compressor/expanders for remastering my original recordings
from old octal circuits from mid thirties through the 50's....right now my plan is building a circuit with 1612's in P/P from QST, 1945.,
I referenced from the RCA Radiotron Designer's handbook 4th Ed, 1952., into the metal cases of a pair of Altec 352A parts unit's...

PostPosted: Aug Mon 05, 2019 9:15 pm 

thanks,

steve

PostPosted: Aug Wed 07, 2019 2:47 am 

just when I thought i had the shop all cleared out and began packing things up this weekend...

look what found me, honestly...

a 1943ish Thordarson Amp.

steve

Attachments:
SAM_5506.JPG
SAM_5506.JPG [ 139.26 KiB | Viewed 305 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Wed 07, 2019 3:03 am 

There you go! I have the same model I believe unrestored electrically a 31w25. (EDIT: Or the larger 31W50?)
These are very nice amplifiers with excellent iron, I have lots of info on them, will scan and send soon to your email
All octal!! 8)
Now I guess I can tell you I may build a all Sylvania Loktal :!: tube compressor at some point in the future from same era circuit as these Thordarson models
as well as a Thordarson 31K11? similar circuit compressor from same line as these amplifiers (1940 to 1948?)

PostPosted: Aug Wed 07, 2019 3:14 am 

excellent. yes, all OCTAL.

:lol: keep the locktal stuff away from me :evil: .

tom bavis is probably finding me a scan of the sams, but i will gladly ALSO :) accept whatever you have on this amp.

you can email it or mail me a CD, whatever you want to do. i will PM you my email address.

between you and Tom, i hope to have more than i need for September 8) .

thordarson amp restoration thread seen here with more pics:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=363006

steve

PostPosted: Nov Sun 10, 2019 11:44 pm 

Fantastic work !!
Congratulations

I just saw one of these amps at an estate sale. I passed it up but after seeing your project, I’m going to see if it’s still available.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 12:36 am 

I too have one of those Thordarson amplifiers!

Someone stenciled in "Modulator" on the front of it, so I supposed it was used to Amplitude Modulate a transmitter.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 2:29 am 

Post some photos if you can soon of your "modulator" version? Wonder if there were any other modifications to the circuit inside. (probably not needed)
I still have not gotten around to rebuilding my 31w25A....one of these days there will be a post...
I'm using some of the cross referenced parts from Dutch Rabbit's abandoned (bad power transformer) 31w25 amp posted here to build a similar era (1947?) Thordarson circuit 10 watt Compressor Expander Phono recording amplifier using 6B4's in P/P on a Scott Labs 800B speckled chrome chassis base...This circuit is similar to the "expander only" 31w11K found in Rider's, which saw limited production I believe at the time, or perhaps was offered in a kit?
-Kent

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 2:44 am 

Kasanay wrote:
Fantastic work !!
Congratulations

I just saw one of these amps at an estate sale. I passed it up but after seeing your project, I’m going to see if it’s still available.

thanks,

go and get it !

steve

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 1:04 pm 

Here is a photo of mine. Its not as nice of condition as I remembered it. A pot is missing as are two knobs. Also a switch was added.

I originally had the idea of using it as a modulator for an AM transmitter, which I never got around to.

So much to do, so little time and energy. Lessee, work consumes 11 hours a day, Sleep 8. Add needing to eat, shower, and other daily tasks, it doesn't leave much :cry:

-Steve

Attachments:
thordarson-amp.jpg
thordarson-amp.jpg [ 587.22 KiB | Viewed 114 times ]

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7