Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Mon 16, 2019 1:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Soundesign Model 5954 Information
PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 7:17 pm 

I just aquired a Soundesign Model 5954 AM/FM, Cassette, 8 Track , Record's in both Cassette, and 8 Track. Made in Japan. Has that mid to late 1970's look . Can someone tell me the Date of MFG what speakers are compatible etc ? I am new to this Hobby so please be kind Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Soundesign Model 5954 Information
PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 8:23 pm 

It was made from 1979 to 1982. Any ole' set of 8 ohm speakers should be just fine. Don't blow a ton of money on the speakers. These were cheap units when new and so you're not going to get amazing sound out of them. Consider going to the salvation army or a flea market and look for 70's-80's vintage speakers.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 10:22 pm 

Location: ZIP 23831 South of Richmond, VA 25 miles down the pike.
SAMS published MHF-225 in 1981 which covers Model 5954. If you look for date codes on the parts that will help too.

Bill J.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 26, 2019 2:53 am 

I just found an NOS old stock new in the box pair of SOUNDESIGN 'Model 615' Acoustic Speakers . I probably paid to much for them $68.00 . But they are a perfect match for my system. My unit 5954 is in 99% mint condition , and as I am deaf to many frequencies of sound , and yes the high end speakers would be a waste of money. Are these Speakers in the same time frame as my Model 5954 unit if anyone knows ?

Last edited by Magnavox347H on Jun Wed 26, 2019 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 26, 2019 2:58 am 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
It was made from 1979 to 1982. Any ole' set of 8 ohm speakers should be just fine. Don't blow a ton of money on the speakers. These were cheap units when new and so you're not going to get amazing sound out of them. Consider going to the salvation army or a flea market and look for 70's-80's vintage speakers.

Yes I realize Soundesign was a low end brand but I am surprised by the quality of the units materials . I always thought Soundesign made the real cheap plasticy receivers. I guess they had some level of quality back then. I will post a picture of the unit once my vintage New in the Box Soundesign Model 615 Acoustic Speakers arrive .

PostPosted: Jun Wed 26, 2019 2:59 pm 

Soundesign (SDI technologies) started off under the Realtone brand name.

Now they make the iHome brand products which many are iPod/iPhone compatible.
They also mde many radios under Zenith's name, some of fairly decent quality.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jun Thu 27, 2019 7:54 pm 

It looks like I will get a pair of Soundesign Model 620 Speakers in gently used condition, the New in the Box Model 615 speakers I had lined up were pulled by the seller . Pictures will be posted once set up. Can anyone tell me what type of speaker wire I will need to buy ?

PostPosted: Jun Thu 27, 2019 8:12 pm 

The best bet for almost all standard speaker installations is 16AWG
or... 18AWG ←you won't notice any difference... :)

Greg.

oh... stay away from high$$ stuff, it's all BS.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 08, 2019 1:15 am 

I am not a good photographer . I still have no speaker wire. The unit is not top of the line but is period appropriate circa 1981. Once the speaker wire and my 8 Track & Cassette Tape arrives I will let the forum know how well it performs

Attachments:
rsz_0707191846.jpg
rsz_0707191846.jpg [ 279.82 KiB | Viewed 718 times ]
rsz_0707191847.jpg
rsz_0707191847.jpg [ 310.82 KiB | Viewed 718 times ]
rsz_0707191847a.jpg
rsz_0707191847a.jpg [ 390.05 KiB | Viewed 718 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Mon 08, 2019 9:33 pm 

I received my speaker wire and 8 track tape today and the unit performed flawlessly. the Cassette head I cleaned with alcohol and Q-Tips, and it sounded on par with the AM/FM unit , The 8 Track which I do not know how to clean sounded notably less in sound and quality How does one clean the 8 Track ? All knobs and buttons functioned as they should . It appears two bulbs are not working .

PostPosted: Jul Sat 13, 2019 5:22 pm 

Magnavox347H wrote:
.... The 8 Track which I do not know how to clean sounded notably less in sound and quality How does one clean the 8 Track ? .

Get yourself some of those really long cotton swabs,some isopropyl alcohol,open the door and have at it.The condition and cleanliness of the capstan is really important on an 8-track player.Might be easier to open up the unit and work on it.Don't be surprised if your tape decks don't continue to function well-those belts will probably need changing before long-I'm surprised they work at all.

I had that same unit here a few years back.I was surprised how good it sounded through a pair of Radio shack Minumus 7's.Someone set it aside at the local dump and I dragged it home out of curiosity.About a year later the left channel died and it went back from whence it came.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 13, 2019 7:42 pm 

Mike C. wrote:
Magnavox347H wrote:
.... The 8 Track which I do not know how to clean sounded notably less in sound and quality How does one clean the 8 Track ? .

Get yourself some of those really long cotton swabs,some isopropyl alcohol,open the door and have at it.The condition and cleanliness of the capstan is really important on an 8-track player.Might be easier to open up the unit and work on it.Don't be surprised if your tape decks don't continue to function well-those belts will probably need changing before long-I'm surprised they work at all.

I had that same unit here a few years back.I was surprised how good it sounded through a pair of Radio shack Minumus 7's.Someone set it aside at the local dump and I dragged it home out of curiosity.About a year later the left channel died and it went back from whence it came.

Thankyou I will try that alcohol and long Q-Tips, I cleaned out the cassette deck with alcohol and q-tips and went through about a dozen Q-Tips before it was clean, having never owned an 8 Track I figured a good cleaning is in order yet I did not know how , until your post . Yes the unit sounds great , I found some Soundesign 620 Speakers time period correct . Thanks I have a few more 8 Tracks coming in hope they hold up.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 13, 2019 8:09 pm 

How to replace deteriorated foam rubber pressure strips in 8-track tape cartridges.
Watch→ 7:32 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmGPudGGIqU

Cleaning a Pioneer Centrex TH-30 Stereo 8-track Tape Player.
Watch→ 16:01 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQY7jFT9RMs

John is a member here...
viewtopic.php?p=3034114#p3034114

Natural and synthetic rubber deteriorates continuously!
Greg.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 16, 2019 1:26 pm 

Thankyou John I am not even going to attempt to take apart the 8 Track. I will use a long Q-Tip and alcohol to clean the inside . If anyone has a video or instructions on that procedure I would be greatly appreciative.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 16, 2019 1:54 pm 

It may not be a top drawer system, but it may still be fairly decent, I think in that time frame the wretched electronics were farmed out to other Asian countries with lower production costs. Made in Japan in that era probably implies a level of quality as compared to say, Hong Kong. I think that was a bit much for the speakers except maybe you would be hard pressed to find comparable used ones in good shape, now. Might have found a dinged up set at a garage sale for 5$ if you did not mind the scratches and damage. If speakers used that foam for surrounds it does not matter if the speaker was used or not, it rots anyway. Otherwise speakers do not wear out. They can be abused and damaged but not worn out.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 17, 2019 12:46 am 

wazz wrote:
It may not be a top drawer system, but it may still be fairly decent, I think in that time frame the wretched electronics were farmed out to other Asian countries with lower production costs. Made in Japan in that era probably implies a level of quality as compared to say, Hong Kong. I think that was a bit much for the speakers except maybe you would be hard pressed to find comparable used ones in good shape, now. Might have found a dinged up set at a garage sale for 5$ if you did not mind the scratches and damage. If speakers used that foam for surrounds it does not matter if the speaker was used or not, it rots anyway. Otherwise speakers do not wear out. They can be abused and damaged but not worn out.

The Soundesign 5954 System & 620 Speakers work great my only problem is actually 8 Track Tapes coming apart due to age . A sealed in original cellophane Maureen McGovern " The Morning After" just came apart in my Magnavox 8 track console it sounded as great as the AM/FM Stereo and Record Player units until the seal come apart and destroyed the tape, so from this day forward I will be refoaming and reglueing all 8 Tracks before I play them

PostPosted: Jul Wed 17, 2019 3:25 pm 

Don't expect too much from the 8-track format. Like the broadcast cartridge it came from, the 8-tr uses a continuous loop of tape, in which each tape layer rubs against the adjacent layers as the tape pack rotates. Specially lubricated tape was used, but the lubrication eventually dries up and the tape wears out. Cassette and open reel don't have this problem. Plus the shifting play head is difficult to keep aligned.

-David

PostPosted: Jul Thu 18, 2019 3:47 pm 

dberman51 wrote:
Don't expect too much from the 8-track format. Like the broadcast cartridge it came from, the 8-tr uses a continuous loop of tape, in which each tape layer rubs against the adjacent layers as the tape pack rotates. Specially lubricated tape was used, but the lubrication eventually dries up and the tape wears out. Cassette and open reel don't have this problem. Plus the shifting play head is difficult to keep aligned.

-David

You are right Dobie I just received another 8track tape DOA . Its nice to know the 8 Track players function on my units . Although I am through buying 8 Track Tapes which seem to have a 100% failure rate . I might in the future buy new old stock in cellophane and replace the pads and connector tabs . But for now I am laying off the 8 Track Tapes.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 18, 2019 4:04 pm 

Not to hijack the thread... but Just wondering, has anyone taken an 8-track tape apart and either repaired it enough to get through one play or perhaps put the tape on an open reel system to copy the contents off?

I have two or three recordable 8-Track tapes, one of which is broken which I would love to soemday get recorded over to a digital format.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jul Thu 18, 2019 5:10 pm 

You used to be able to buy 8-track housings, complete with new pressure roller and pressure pad, into which you could load your existing tape pack. So yes, it is possible. But you can't just play the tape on an open-reel tape recorder because there is no open reel 8-track format using 1/4 inch tape.

-David