Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 22, 2019 12:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Soundesign Model 5954 Information
PostPosted: Jul Thu 18, 2019 7:44 pm 

I've got an upper closet shelf full of several hundred eight track tapes, and two operating players.

It won't matter if you buy new, sealed in cellophane units, as time itself will have aged everything, pinch roller, foam backing, chrome strip adhesive, and even the tape itself.

The usual suspects in restoration include the chrome leader coming apart from the tape, and the foam backing disintegrating. It is possible to fix each of these W/O taking the cassette halves apart. For the chrome tape, simply use some Scotch Tape to attach it back to the recording tape. For replacing the foam, go to a hardware store and get Frost King 3/8" foam weatherstrip.

AFA taking the cassette halves apart; as often as not, there will be a connector hidden underneath the label that will have to be either broken off, or squeezed in order to get it loose, while prying apart the connectors on the sides. The main reason for doing this is usually having to replace the pinch roller. The best source for parts for these, of course, is the box of 8-Tracks you bought that have a number of cartridges that you'll never play. You can practice separating the halves with these donors to gain some experience.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 18, 2019 9:51 pm 

All consumer grade open reel audio tape is 1/4" same as the 8 track, but the head arrangement is going to be an issue.
I suppose I'll look into it eventually, in the meantime the tapes sit in a box degrading...

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jul Thu 18, 2019 11:12 pm 

azenithnut wrote:
All consumer grade open reel audio tape is 1/4" same as the 8 track, but the head arrangement is going to be an issue.
I suppose I'll look into it eventually, in the meantime the tapes sit in a box degrading...

-Steve

You can look into it but you won't find anything you can do yourself. Consumer 1/4 inch machines max out at 4 tracks, professional at 2 tracks. There are professional 8 track machines but they use 1 inch tape. And you can't play an 8-track tape on a 4-track open reel machine since the tracks of two different programs will overlap on playback.

There may be some commercial transfer services that can handle 8-track cartridges and get them onto a CD for you.

-David