Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sat 21, 2019 4:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Please tell me what brand is this?
PostPosted: Jul Wed 24, 2019 3:25 am 

I don't know anything about this reel to reel, maybe from the 1950's ?.
I can't read that writing on it. Anyone can recognize it what brand?

Attachments:
Taperecorder (1).jpg
Taperecorder (1).jpg [ 188.35 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]

Post subject: Re: Please tell me what brand is this?
PostPosted: Jul Wed 24, 2019 4:22 am 

Microphone is similar to most dictation machines. So did search and came up with:

Grundig Dejur Stenorette Dictation Machine

PostPosted: Jul Wed 24, 2019 5:02 am 

Thank you!!! :)

PostPosted: Jul Wed 24, 2019 1:44 pm 

not sure but instead of Grundig, I believe it says Braun on the upper right side. a copy possibly

PostPosted: Jul Sat 27, 2019 8:32 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
Uses standard 1/4 inch reel to reel tape HOWEVER this is a RIM DRIVE SYSTEM (Constant Angular Velocity like a record) - this runs at a more-or-less constant RPM - not a CAPSTAN DRIVE SYSTEM (Constant Linear Velocity like a CD) which runs a a fixed inches-per-second.

The reverse contraption is called a Gray Audograph which - instead of a tape running at RPM instead of the normal IPS - this is a disc running at IPS instead of the normal RPM.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=320439&p=2681387&hilit=audograph#p2681387

Notice the large center on the takup reel. Like the wire recorders before it - this was done to minimize the difference between inner-circumference (lower speed and lower fidelity) and outer-circumference (higher speed and higher fidelity).

The other difference is - although the old 3-inch Living Letters recorders of the same or even later periods were also rim drive - you can't play one on the other due to the difference in takeup hub sizes.

Each revolution on the Stenorette at the same RPM would be nearly twice that of the Living Letters player since the Stenorette starts OFF at 3-inches and builds from there and three inch LL reels start off at around a 3/4 inch hub - ending UP at the same place where the Stenorette starts off at.

So even if you got the speed right in the beginning, you'd never be able to keep pace because the speed of the Stenorette tape would very rapidly exceed the capabilities of the Living Letters recorder. Same in reverse.

You could play the tape back on a varispeed capstan recorder - but it would have to have a range of probably 75%+ to 75%- - and you'd have to be sitting there constantly fine-tuning the speed as it played.

I restore these professionally along with lots of other odd and strange media - and I can guarantee you doing that is considerably more preferable than playing it normally on a normal capstan reel to reel and adjusting the speed in a digital audio workstation.

Last edited by ndiamone on Jul Sat 27, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 27, 2019 8:48 pm 

cl350rr wrote:
not sure but instead of Grundig, I believe it says Braun on the upper right side. a copy possibly

Not "Braun" but DEJUR, with GRUNDIG just below it. DEJUR was then the US importer of the GRUNDIG "Stenorette" series dictating machines.