Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Fri 20, 2019 8:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Can you help me estimate the price on some old audio equip.
PostPosted: Jul Thu 25, 2019 6:13 pm 

Recently I helped a friend pack up his late mothers house and he ended up giving me an audio "cabinet?" for more assistance. I tried to refuse but he insisted. I am in the military and I am getting ready to transfer and I am only allowed a certain weight and this cabinet is super heavy and I was looking to sell it but I have know idea what the value of it is. Any help would but greatly appreciated. The cabinet has a few flaws and I haven't dared to test any of the old equipment. From what I gather this is what I have:
1. The cabinet is a James B. Lansing (JBL) Sovereign 3
2. The Equalizer is a Fisher 500-C
3. Turntable is Dual 1019
4. Amplifier is a TEAC RA-40SU
5. Mixer? is a TEAC A-4010SU

I will post some pictures below. Thank you for your time and have a wonderful day.

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 155.67 KiB | Viewed 778 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 66.95 KiB | Viewed 778 times ]
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 57.62 KiB | Viewed 778 times ]
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 65.66 KiB | Viewed 778 times ]
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 68.36 KiB | Viewed 778 times ]
6.jpg
6.jpg [ 65.03 KiB | Viewed 778 times ]
7.jpg
7.jpg [ 73.96 KiB | Viewed 778 times ]
8.jpg
8.jpg [ 63.57 KiB | Viewed 778 times ]
9.jpg
9.jpg [ 68.09 KiB | Viewed 778 times ]
10.jpg
10.jpg [ 68.59 KiB | Viewed 778 times ]

Post subject: Re: Can you help me estimate the price on some old audio equ
PostPosted: Jul Thu 25, 2019 7:59 pm 

I would say, the value of the components is greater individually as compared to the assembled system. The price history of the Fisher, the Dual turntable, probably the Teac(I am not familiar with the two piece tape deck) and presumably there must be speakers for the system somewhere which also may be vintage with some collector value. As for the custom fit cabinet, well, it looks like it is ready for the body. RIP. Take out the components and sell them individually online maybe, or Craigslist, and be sure to include any manuals or info with them. NO one is gonna want the cabinet and stuff unless you sell it to them cheap enough that they can part it out themselves.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 26, 2019 12:01 am 

You have nothing invested in this system so whatever you sell it for, even for $1, would be considered pure profit. Your in a severe time restraint so you may not be in a position to dictate what it should sell for. More likely, your at the mercy of whatever somebody is willing to pay for it. As the old saying goes, the value of an item is determined by what someone is willing to pay for it and not necessarily what you price it at.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 26, 2019 12:13 am 

That Fisher 500C is worth keeping. They are very nice receivers and when restored would easily bring $800-$1000.
If the output and power transformers are not good, the restoration could get pretty expensive, more so if none of the tubes are there.
Check out the Fisher forum over at Audiokarma:https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?forums/fisher.172/
for more information about Fisher tube gear.
What is your location?

PostPosted: Jul Fri 26, 2019 12:22 am 

San Diego, CA. Thank you everyone for all your advice.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 26, 2019 12:39 am 

Yea, the Fisher is a gem if you are into that. But I expect you have maybe not the time or inclination to do a restoration as needed and get it going. And no individual case for that unit, that I can see. So you would have to build a case or pay alot for an existing correct case for the receiver. The stuff inside the coffin is collectible but as an assemblage altogether, someone may want it or might not be particularly interested in a Teac deck and an older model Dual changer. I would guesstimate that different people would desire the different bits and thus would not pay alot extra for the items in addition to what part they want. Part it out and donate the case. There may be a use for the case and it may be a well made piece of furniture but I suspect you don't have the time to sell it, maybe make the case free to good home, if any. The whole thing is a one-off custom installation from a bygone era. Quality stuff, for the time.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 26, 2019 12:48 am 

Another option is to look in this audiophile magazine listing of audio clubs and it has several in San Diego area listed. I betcha some of those people would be interested in your vintage gear if you want to move the stuff fast, if not for absolute top dollar. Remember at this point, it is all profit! Maybe offer the tape deck or the record changer for free, to anyone that would also haul away the big box!
https://www.stereophile.com/audiophiles ... index.html

PostPosted: Jul Fri 26, 2019 6:19 pm 

My advice... if you have the time, part it out to the module level. As others have said, these have some value, particularly the 500C. If you don't have the time, try to get a local radio club to pick it up for a member to do this. Good luck... we all hate to see good stuff go to he junk yard! My problem is that I get stuck with restored tube chassis that won't sell for even the value of the refurbishing parts!
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Jul Sat 27, 2019 5:18 am 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
The rear appears to feature one terminal-screw pair for a Left speaker and one for a Right dangling out just above the cooling fan and power cord -meaning the matching speaker cabinets were not included. Shame - because sometimes those old JBL speakers were the most valuable part of the set.
vicclark503@msn.com wrote:
Equalizer is a Fisher 500-C
Actually AM/FM tuner/preamp-amplifier combo - commonly known as ``receiver'' into which everything else must plug in order to play.
Amplifier is a TEAC RA-40SU
which belongs to the
TEAC A-4010SU
wazz wrote:
two piece reel to reel tape deck
Yes - a lot of the Teac's of that era - and a number of Crown's and Bel-Tone's and Concertone's and the like don't appear as if they are two piece in the original cabinet - but once you unbolt everything from the bottom and sides - the transport slides out by itself and the amps slide out by itself.

They're not bad - kind of an upper-mid to upper-grade recorder for the period. If it plays (especially if any of it plays) of course it's a boon compared to if it has to be restored.

As stated - that's going to be a little harder for the Fisher amp and tuner and the amps in the reel deck than it would be for the turntable - but just like there's a lot of Fisher fans - there's just as many Dual turntable fans (go on over to the VinylEngine forum to see) and just as many Teac fans (go on over to the Tapeheads forum).

The cabinet - eh - unless his father was some noted engineer or producer or some such - it would probably get better use by having a steampunker pick it up and repurpose it. hey at least it ain't going into the landfill or being burnt up in an incinerator clogging the atmosphere.

But to get the best value - since thrift shops there aren't taking them anymore (I lived in Little Saigon for four years til I could afford moving to Hillcrest and then University City by Scripps-Howard) - it's best to remove each component and then find a box and some styro pellets to set it on top of.

Probably the turntable is going to be the trickiest. You have to unscrew the back and take it all off before you can access anything but most everything else should just push back up through the same holes it was sat down through.

The turntable on the other hand is fastened in by two flip-clips which must be felt for underneath and undone. Either screw down the two turntable security screws on the left rear and right front side or have somebody press down on the platter while you are feeling for them. Flip them from a horizontal position to a vertical position and the enture turntable chassis should lift out.

Left behind should be three things - a left and right phono lead from the cartridge to the rest of the system - and a 4-wire power lead in a rectangular plastic plug. Unplug all three of these and then check to see if it also has a green ground wire screwed into the chassis someplace and unscrew that. Your turntable should now be separated from the rest of the system.

Repeat for the rest of the components minus the retaining clips as they shouldn't have any.

And before you go selling the reel deck - if there's no reels and an empty takeup reel in the pile of stuff in the cabinet - find one of each someplace - put it on a Variac to make sure it doesn't blow up from being so old and having a bad cord etc - pipe it through a modern stereo and speakers and see what you think.

Same with the Fisher amp - put that on a variac too and if the speakers in the cabinet are toast - find out the wattage and go find some in a vintage music shop someplace and see if it plays. You may be surprised if all you know is earbuds on your phone or headsets on your computer.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 27, 2019 5:49 am 

Sir, I really appreciate the time you took to give me your advice. I went into this blind and I am really thankful for all your advice.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 27, 2019 2:40 pm 

I had a Teac deck like that, many years ago; it is from the early 1970s. Mine was an all-in-one unit, but the components look identical.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 27, 2019 4:16 pm 

Post your location, someone on this forum may offer a good price with local pickup.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 27, 2019 6:29 pm 

Contrary to what was previously advised here I would not part it out into separate elements and first try to sell it complete as is, since the turntable and recorder would be more difficult to sell, especially without cabinets. This is just extra work and nothing to be gained (harder to sell). FYI, even an empty JBL C68 Sovereign III console cabinet is valuable for some JBL collectors (and there are plenty of them) and worth about 200-300$ if in good condition. (JBL Logo frontbadge must be present !) The Fisher 500C receiver is the most valuable part and the easiest to sell (worth about 500-800$). This was a very expensive high quality Hi-Fi console when sold (i would guess in the mid-60ies) and still is today. I think you should have no difficulties selling it in the $1.200 to 1.500 range as is (untested, unrestored) and much more in perfect (restored) working condition. Consider $ 1.000 as the bare (non-negotiable) minimum selling price. You should put an ad on a specialized website and it will sell in less than a couple of days (local pickup only) . AudioKarma forum (MarketPlace sub-section) is another good place to try for selling vintage Hi-Fi. In the Antique Radio collectors community (here) there is much less interest for old Hi-Fi gear and you won't even get half of the above price(s)
Considering the quality (and price) of this system it would be worthwile doing some detective work to find what happened to the associated speakers, (very likely big JBL's)... who knows, there could be another great deal (score) awaiting you.

Last edited by Tubologic on Jul Sat 27, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 27, 2019 6:50 pm 

As a package with the speakers, it could bring big bucks..

PostPosted: Jul Sat 27, 2019 7:33 pm 

pauls.ironhorse wrote:
Post your location, someone on this forum may offer a good price with local pickup.
San Diego.
Tubologic wrote:
I think you should have no difficulties selling it in the $1.200 to 1.500 range as is (untested, unrestored) and much more in perfect (restored) working condition.
That is all well and good and may or may not be true - but that's only good if he has weeks or months - and a lot of history information - neither of which he has.
Tubologic wrote:
You should put an ad on a specialized website and it will sell in less than a couple of days (local pickup only).
By all means try it - presumably after you
Tubologic wrote:
find out what happened to the associated speakers, (very likely big JBL's)... who knows, there could be another great deal (score) awaiting you.
which look like this: (adjust for color)
Attachment:
JBL C-60 Sovereign speaker cabinets.jpg
JBL C-60 Sovereign speaker cabinets.jpg [ 122.62 KiB | Viewed 513 times ]
which with the covers on look like end tables or lamp stands and could have gotten discarded by accident along with the rest of the furniture.

A number of people re-wired them for surround since they have two sets of speakers each.

One cabinet could be placed in the center in front of the blank space where the middle lid of the console is (leaving a walkway) and the other one could be placed in the rear center of the room - running - if nothing else - a simple Haefler circuit to extract split surrounds out of stereo recordings.

Although you wouldn't get much left-right separation this way in either front or rear - the ambience generated by this setup more than fills the room and is a genuinely pleasing experience if you've never heard it.

The other thing you could do is get the driver sets, mounts and grilles for a Sovereign I in the same color scheme and just mount them in the cabinet you have. It won't be worth the money but it WILL sound nice. Then if you find a set of matching speakers for less than the $4K they are going for online as well as off - then you can add those in and make cabinets for the ones you have.

And yes there are plenty of things like that which WILL go for decent money the first or second time around on the various vintage hi-fi and stereo boards. But what if it doesn't go the first time? Or the second or even the fifth? Depending on how much time you have before you have to pack up and ship out - with all the other related activities that you need to perform in the meantime - doing it that way time may run out.

Then - not only won't you get your $1,000 - but after exhausting all the radio and vintage electronics clubs in San Diego - most of which are short on storage and long on similarly discarded equipment - and since thrift shops and etc won't take them anymore - you may be forced to PAY somebody to have it hauled off.

So like I said it all depends on how much time you have left before you ship out - and how many other unrelated to radio things you have to do between now and then.

If time DOES start to end up running out and it hasn't sold the way it is - and you have noplace to store the whole thing til you get back - especially if you can't find the matching speakers - either

1 make sure to leave enough time for dismounting all the components in the manner discussed above - put them in boxes with styro peanuts - store them at e.g. your Dad's til you get back - and then let the cabinet go to a steampunker to repurpose - or

2 spend the time finding someplace to store the whole thing - find the speakers and restore it when you get back and enjoy the near-best a 50-year old stereo has to offer.

You may have found yourself having been bitten by the analog music bug by then.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 27, 2019 8:31 pm 

Well... depending on his personal interest (or not) it's allways easy to value or depreciate anything (the above post being a good exemple of the latter).
I felt that the OP asked help for estimating the best price he could realistically get/ask for the equipment he found, not to be deterred by worst case scenarios. Quite obviously, if he is willing to sell it way below the average market price it will sell faster, and even much faster if he give it for free... it's up to him to decide. But before starting slashing prices I would strongly suggest him doing some more research on the web (e.g closed auction sold prices for a FISHER 500C receiver on the well-know auction site).

PostPosted: Jul Sat 27, 2019 8:58 pm 

Tubologic wrote:
I would strongly suggest him doing some more research on the web (e.g closed auction sold prices for a FISHER 500C receiver on the well-know auction site).
Which is why I said above ``By all means try that first''. If he has the time and energy. Just like I said ``Try selling the whole thing the way it is first before parting it out''. Same scenario.