Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 16, 2019 7:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Recent upgrades as of late.. With a few surprises!
PostPosted: Oct Sun 13, 2019 5:48 pm 

Some upgrading as of late. Current reference setup with the James Burgess 45/2A3 S.E.T. amplifier, easily interchangeable to Burgess Eiclone 6550 triode monoblocks. A James Burgess tube preamp/phono stage, PeachTree Audio 65SE (serving as DAC), Modified AT1240 TT with AT33EV cartridge and Cardas wiring straight to the Burgess phono stage. Media is also served up via an Otari MTR10-2, Teac 1040Sl, Akai 280D-SS and Akai X-150D Reel to Reel machines, a PC music server with over 25 terabytes of Hi-Rez files, and plenty of great vinyl selections. All playing through a pair of 105db efficient Klipschorn loudspeakers with an 18” Velodyne sub crossed over around 40Hz. Room is 24x20x8.
Will be treating the room in the coming weeks finally. I also have two more bucket list pieces of gear coming. A pair of GPA Altec 604H III speakers, custom crossovers and Stonehenge cabinets and some 300b Thorsten Loesch “Legacy” circuit inspired monoblocks to drive them.

Post subject: Re: Recent upgrades as of late.. With a few surprises!
PostPosted: Nov Sat 09, 2019 5:22 pm 

Impressive to say the least! That room has to be extremely hot sounding though. There used to be several companies that sold acoustic drapery that was quite effective. Back in the late 1960s I worked for a high end audio outfit, installing Mac and Bozak systems in affluent customers' homes. Those drapes effectively tamed the speakers. They were custom made to complement the room. You could fine tune the acoustics from your armchair with their remote. Expensive, yes, but an incredible wow factor! And it worked great.

Dan

PostPosted: Nov Sat 09, 2019 6:24 pm 

I am currently treating the room in two stages as it is very expensive. The room will be fully treated after the first of the year. I worked closely with GIK Acoustics in the process.

Charlie

PostPosted: Nov Sat 09, 2019 7:10 pm 

Nice set-up. It is good that you are able to hear well enough for it to matter.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 09, 2019 7:38 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:

In my case, I don't need tweeters anymore . . . Tinnitus supplies abundant high frequency stereo sound 24/7. :lol: My hearing cuts out at about 4.5K these days. At least it's a gradual process.

Dan

PostPosted: Nov Sat 09, 2019 8:23 pm 

SparkyDan wrote:
FStephenMasek wrote:

In my case, I don't need tweeters anymore . . . Tinnitus supplies abundant high frequency stereo sound 24/7. :lol: My hearing cuts out at about 4.5K these days. At least it's a gradual process.

Dan

I too have been suffering with tinnitus for 13 years now but my high frequency hearing fortunately is still quite good. I feel for anyone with tinnitus as only us who have it can truly relate to it and how annoying it can be. Here's a shot with the Altec's in the room now as well.

Attachments:
Snapseed (40).jpg
Snapseed (40).jpg [ 513.48 KiB | Viewed 820 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Sat 09, 2019 8:32 pm 

Quote:
In my case, I don't need tweeters anymore . . . Tinnitus supplies abundant high frequency stereo sound 24/7. My hearing cuts out at about 4.5K these days. At least it's a gradual process.

Same here, my 3dB cutoff is around 3K. When I was young I was always planning in my head for a super HiFi system, but that is no longer a dream or reality. A portable transistor radio with a 2 inch speaker is about as HIFi as I can get.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 10, 2019 2:54 pm 

I have not had the opportunity to listen to K horns since the 70s. The shop that had them has been a foreign car parts shop for decades now. Been into good sound at home since high school or before, but now I have some loss and some of the tinnitus too. But the intensity varies from somewhat annoying to able to overlook it. I am not giving up quite yet. I suppose when or if I get hearing aids, the whole thing is at an end. Back to music on the AA5. Or transistor like someone said. Will be a sad day when my gear gets stored or sold.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 6:14 am 

Very impressive, thanks for posting. Maybe some others will show their setups.

I am cursed with tinnitus in my deaf ear, so stereo is only a little bit better than mono. You young guys take care of your ears, eh? :D

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 1:54 am 

Time for some evening vinyl!

PostPosted: Nov Sat 23, 2019 6:41 am 

These Thorsten Loesch "legacy" circuit 300B monoblocks with Tribute iron are going to get a listen with the GPA 604HII's. I have been waiting for this opportunity.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 01, 2019 6:40 am 

pauls.ironhorse wrote:
... my 3dB cutoff is around 3K... HiFi system, but that is no longer a dream or reality. A portable transistor radio with a 2 inch speaker is about as HIFi as I can get.
Not to be too picky, but there is still the mid and low range to be enjoyed in good music... The 2 inch speaker will not reproduce any of the low range. It's only use is telephone quality speech (about 300 Hz to 3 KHz.)
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Dec Sun 01, 2019 3:49 pm 

Quote:
Not to be too picky, but there is still the mid and low range to be enjoyed in good music... The 2 inch speaker will not reproduce any of the low range. It's only use is telephone quality speech (about 300 Hz to 3 KHz.)
You are correct sir, it was a "tongue in cheek" comment, meaning a superb HiFi system is wasted on me. Yes, the lows are still there and I still enjoy music with lots of bass, just tweeters and wide bandwith HiFi systems are a waste on me.
This little restored Heathkit will do me just fine.

Attachments:
HeathKit.JPG
HeathKit.JPG [ 378.15 KiB | Viewed 246 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Mon 02, 2019 4:26 am 

Paul, that's a nice Heathkit system... I have the same stuff! Sourced by a good, high compliance cartridge (or a CD) and feeding a decent speaker, it will sound very good. BTW, I had a restored Heathkit FM3 on my bedroom system up until a few weeks ago, but it drifts quite badly (no AFC) and I had to reach out from under the covers an re-tune it after 20 minutes or so! PITA! I've now replaced it with a restored Trio AF-350G tube AM/FM tuner with AFC, to which I've added an eye tube and a cathode follower output (so as to feed low input resistance solid state gear if I want to)... rock solid!
Cheers,
Roger