Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 11, 2019 6:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A horror to work on! Teac X1000R belt change
PostPosted: Oct Thu 24, 2019 8:50 pm 

I have never seen a more mechanical mess of a reel to reel tape deck in my life! And the service manual doesn't have disassembly instructions. The heads, capstan motor, flywheel assemblys are on a separate subassembly fastened to the front panel while the reels and reel motors, brakes, etc, are fastened to the main chassis. I sure hope I remember how it goes back together when the new belt comes in! Oh, and the old belt turned to goo. Ok, rant over!

Post subject: Re: A horror to work on! Teac X1000R belt change
PostPosted: Oct Fri 25, 2019 1:15 pm 

SteveT wrote:
I have never seen a more mechanical mess of a reel to reel tape deck in my life! And the service manual doesn't have disassembly instructions. The heads, capstan motor, flywheel assemblys are on a separate subassembly fastened to the front panel while the reels and reel motors, brakes, etc, are fastened to the main chassis. I sure hope I remember how it goes back together when the new belt comes in! Oh, and the old belt turned to goo. Ok, rant over!

Take lots of pictures as you disassemble it. I think service manuals were written assuming the tech was already experienced.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 25, 2019 1:35 pm 

Steve,

I feel your pain because I have an X-1000R, X2000M, X-700R, all black. I also have an A-2300SD. Without a doubt, the "A" series were easier to work on. My problem now is that all of them suffer from lubrication issues, having the grease turn into Gorilla Glue. I have done several before, and now I'm just awaiting the temperatures in Florida to cool down in the garage/workbench.

Patience, pictures as mentioned above. So far, my belts are not the issue! But in time...

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 12:10 am 

Join this forum:

http://www.tapeheads.net

Take a look at the "Reel to Reel" subforum. Several of the world's best reel-reel restoration experts frequently post here and they are very helpful to folks who are novices at restoration of tape machines. Much of the needed work/repair is more mechanical than electronic.

The Teac X1000R is challenging but well worth the effort. It is one of the all-time best tape machines for a home audio system.

-EB

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 1:51 pm 

Most RtR decks are a challenge when it comes to replacing the capstan belt. Some aren't, but most are.

As long as you are methodical, took pictures and if necessary made some notes, and don't lose any parts (carpet as your floor is not a good idea) you have a better than even chance of getting it back together properly lol.

If it's time for a capstan belt replacement, it's probably also time to remove all the old grease-turned-to-glue, and give the rest of the mechanism a good cleaning and re-lube. I usually find that the pinch roller are, and tape guide lifter mechanisms, are either sluggish or stuck on units I've worked on. And that's just for starters... prepare to spend a good deal of time disassembling and reassembling the mechanism.

Try to mark anything that would involve re-setting tensions later, such as the pinch roller solenoid, it's stop, any brake solenoids. If you don't get them back exactly where they were, you change tensions on some decks.

While you're at it, a "deep cleaning" of the tape path components is in order. I've had to take a jack hammer to some of the tape heads and guides for these relics.... apparently the owners don't like cleaning them.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 02, 2019 1:59 am 

I have an X 1000r setting in a closet for years with all new heads ready to be installed. I read elsewhere about the gummy belts and see this stuff and now I am almost afraid to get into it. I bought the heads years ago from Teac before they got uber expensive. At least I have the service manual and alignment tapes.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 02, 2019 2:17 am 

I'd replace the Capstan belt at least. Pinch rollers might clean up with Iso Alcohol, might not. I think they are still available. It's a decent deck, worth restoration if you have the mechanical skills. Be prepared to take apart most if not all of the moving parts.....tape lifter mechanism, pinch arms, all that fun stuff. Tensioners as well. clean out the grease-turned-to-glue, and relube. I use a silicon grease, and turbo oil depending. You might as well remove the capstans, clean out all the old lube, and re-oil while you are into it that far.

If you've already got new heads, and an alignment tape, might as well dive right in lololol. But do not go NEAR the thing with an alignment tape until you are sure play, FF, and REW tensions are correct, and all the mechanism functions are working well. Don't want to stretch or mangle expensive alignment tapes.

Have fun!! I've spent way too much time restoring RTR decks ..... just be warned. You've got to be in the right mood. Forgetting how all the parts go back in, can be a .... umm ... challenge. If you've got to remove any larger parts, or solenoids, mark carefully exactly where they were... that'll help a lot when you get to tension alignment, pinch roller pressure, etc.

fun!~ lol

PostPosted: Dec Mon 02, 2019 2:59 am 

Sounds like a nightmare potentially. The belts are available on ebay. I need to get my bench organized and cleaned up before a large complicated project like that. Had very little actual use of the machine years ago after I got it. No place to fit it in the system right now. The asking prices for refurbed ones are only exceeded by the X 2000 that I can see. What seems a handicap to me is the fact that the reverse play heads are in contact with the tape, wearing, even if you do not play in reverse. Or all 5 heads wear the same no matter what. Wish they were the harder ferrite or glass jobs.