Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 08, 2019 11:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Aux Input
PostPosted: Nov Mon 04, 2019 1:56 am 

Hi, my Fisher console stereo (tubes) has an aux stereo input which I use frequently with the headphone output from my phone. Works great, my smart TV has an audio output which I would consider using as well but the output appears to be non adjustable volume wise. I don't want to damage the stereo. When I plug it in I have to keep the stereo volume very low as the output is loud enough at about 1/16 volume on the stereo volume knob. What do you think? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Aux Input
PostPosted: Nov Mon 04, 2019 4:16 am 

K McCarthy wrote:
Hi, my Fisher console stereo (tubes) has an aux stereo input which I use frequently with the headphone output from my phone. Works great, my smart TV has an audio output which I would consider using as well but the output appears to be non adjustable volume wise. I don't want to damage the stereo. When I plug it in I have to keep the stereo volume very low as the output is loud enough at about 1/16 volume on the stereo volume knob. What do you think? Thanks.

Most TVs have a a setting that allows the line out to be controlled by the volume control, it's just not the default. Check your audio setup menu.

Brett

PostPosted: Nov Mon 04, 2019 7:20 pm 

If you're using the TV's 'headphone' jack, it is usually volume control dependent. If you are using the 'line out', they are normally at a fixed level; usually used to input into a surround sound system which has its own volume adjustment.
Dan

PostPosted: Nov Tue 05, 2019 2:13 am 

Yes , mine has the line out, no headphone. It doesn't respond to the volume control. My concern is that it may have too much output.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 05, 2019 3:58 am 

K McCarthy wrote:
Yes , mine has the line out, no headphone. It doesn't respond to the volume control. My concern is that it may have too much output.

If might be ok. Might be more a matter of being inconvenient having to adjust TV volume on the Fisher.

If it is too much volume from the TV you just need the "poor man's mixer". Just a simple potentiometer and a resistor, or two. Build it in 10 minutes. You'll be able to control the volume to your Fisher from the fixed output of your TV. Reply back for plans if you're interested.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 05, 2019 3:23 pm 

Thanks, no I don't mind adjusting the volume through the stereo. I just don't want to damage it.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 06, 2019 12:23 am 

You won't damage the Fisher with this setup, but you may be close to or actually into overload on the input. If it's still "listenable" even if this is the case it's still not in the danger zone, but may not sound as good as it can. You can build a simple pad (one for each channel) out of a few resistors, or use the resistor/potentiometer approach, between the TV and the Fisher. I'd start with knocking the level down by 50%. Schematics are all over the net... just google H pad or T pad. I wouldn't worry too much about precise values, as long as you use the same for L and R .. .since you are not concerned about precision level control here.

IF you can look up the TV output specs (i.e. 600 ohms) and the Fisher input specs (i.e. same or 10k ohms or whatever) .... you want to know if each piece is either low or high impedance, and you can select the proper pad.

personally I'd try this calculator and plug in your values, or just "fiddle with it" along these lines. http://www.nu9n.com/tpad-calculator.html

Again, I think a simple T pad should be fine for what you're doing. If you were after precision, the H pad would be my go-to.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 11:57 pm 

Check the TV settings and see if the line out can be set to variable.

Some have that feature. Often it is done by turning the internal speakers off.