Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 14, 2019 12:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What is your favorite 1970,s brand stereo receiver ?
PostPosted: Nov Thu 07, 2019 6:38 am 

What 1970, 80,s brand did you like to work on ? Is there some brands easy to work on and some to avoid ? Also what brand has the most service manuals still on-line ? Thanks

Skippy

Post subject: Re: What is your favorite 1970,s brand stereo receiver ?
PostPosted: Nov Thu 07, 2019 7:02 am 

Hello skip,
I have both 1970s Pioneer and Kenwood receivers

PostPosted: Nov Thu 07, 2019 4:37 pm 

McIntosh has always been my favorite audio equipment to work on followed by Pioneer and Kenwood. Marantz is built like a tank, Carver just falls apart, Nacamichi is way to fragile and complicated, and Bang & Olfson is just pure hell.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 07, 2019 6:19 pm 

For me it has to be either Pioneer or Yamaha. They rarely ever have really nasty faults, they are well laid out and easy to work on if you need to. Just keep a good stock of dial lamps!! They are also (in my eyes) the most attractive, with plenty of wood and silver.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 07, 2019 6:58 pm 

Any of the Pioneer SX Series are good receivers, and not too difficult to work on.
google for opinions on the range.

There is a large repository of Pioneer owner and service manuals available to download on-line for free, and wire-wrapping tools can be found on ebay.

I've had an SX-636 in my den for many years.
:) Greg.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 07, 2019 7:02 pm 

Awesome, great info thanks guys :!: :!:

Skippy

PostPosted: Nov Thu 07, 2019 8:04 pm 

Speaking as an EX Kenwood Rep I'd say Kenwood or Marantz. There was a lot to choose from in that era - lots of good and bad.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 07, 2019 10:07 pm 

As a former Lafayette employee, I always enjoyed working and servicing the Lafayette Hi-Fi stuff. Most of their stuff wasn't that bad in the Hi-fi line. Plus, it's also very convenient when you have the majority of all their manuals and service data from that era.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 07, 2019 10:48 pm 

hello guys,
lots of older equipment out there including some nice Sony receivers .well
McIntosh is like the top of the line I love the old Marantz and I have Harmon Kardon stuff too

PostPosted: Nov Thu 07, 2019 11:27 pm 

I have given several refurbed receivers to my brother and I think at this time they are disused and not connected. I would first try to get the Harmon Kardon back from him and would encounter little resistance, but I have no particular use or place to put it. My first receiver was a Sherwood S 7110B that was about 18 watts per channel. It went back to the dealer for repair when the AM section died. Some years ago I acquired another that was only in fair condition. They all have seemed to have failed power switches on the volume control. So I bought one on ebay that was mint in the original box from Canada. It not only developed the bad power switch in short order, one channel is distorted. I could rob parts from the older one. No one sells a volume control switch assy anymore that fits. I think I fixed the second one by taking the control all apart but now the switch is out of alignment a bit so it switches on with the volume turned up slightly. SO 70s Sherwoods are off my menu. But they sound nice when they work.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 12:15 am 

I like some of Harmon Kardon's receivers, I have a McIntosh amp that serves me well but I really like the Realistic brand receivers from the 70s...… It is a thing

PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 5:51 am 

Kenwood or Marantz

DM

PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 4:33 pm 

I'm not really partial to any particular brand but I did buy a Kenwood KA-9100 amp and matching KT-7500 tuner in the late '70's which I still enjoy today.

Attachment:
Kenwood KA-9100 Amplifier.JPG
Kenwood KA-9100 Amplifier.JPG [ 202.58 KiB | Viewed 806 times ]

The KA-9100 features separate power supplies for the left and right channels.

Attachment:
Kenwood KA-9100 Amplifier(1).JPG
Kenwood KA-9100 Amplifier(1).JPG [ 220.94 KiB | Viewed 805 times ]

Dave

PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 5:24 pm 

Skip-wave wrote:
What 1970, 80,s brand did you like to work on ? Is there some brands easy to work on and some to avoid ? Also what brand has the most service manuals still on-line ? Thanks

That era (Silver age and after) is almost entirely Japanese brands (Pioneer, Yamaha, etc), which are relatively reliable, OK performers, but a pain to work on. The later ones tend to have microprocessor or other logic chips that are generally unobtainable. The earlier ones have relatively unreliable switches and pots, also hard to find or fix, and various dial lights on the early ones are also unavailable or expensive. Many had RF sections that were sealed and unservicable, but fortunately they were very reliable.

I really despised working on them, particularly receivers, and usually just refused them. Even when the are working perfectly to spec, they don't sound that good or test very well with real-life loads. The good news is that they are inexpensive and abundant on eBay, just replacing them when they fail. Most of them had (when I was doing it, at least) precisely zero collector value. That may be different now, as people become nostalgic for later and later stuff.

I don't know much about the availability of service information, since there has been an internet, I haven't worked on many of them. But I have managed to find enough documentation for the earlier part of this era, and it was generally pretty good for the 70's stuff. Later, it might have been fine for a factory service center, but it was about which module you replace, and they were all proprietary and you couldn't get it, so it was take it apart and figure it out yourself, or toss it and get another receiver.

Later still, when all the small manufacturers started up (early-mid 80's) to produce hi-fi components (vice consumer stereos) most were 6-month wonders, going in and out of business so fast that you couldn't find anything or figure out who was even involved in the company. A few provided service information with it, but most treated their designs as proprietary and tended to go out of their way to obscure the origin of parts, by potting them or removing the markings. They changed them from unit-to-unit as the capacitor of the month changed. The components were easy to get to and service, the problem was that the design was so flaky they burned up even if everything was right. It was also funny to compare them with each other - they *rampantly* stole designs from each other, Company A would come out with something, Company B would copy it later, part-by-part, even the mistakes. Every time you worked on it, you ended up redesigning it for reliability or stability, because many times it wouldn't survive the 24-hour burn-in. I was also quite happy to refuse jobs to install "magic" parts, and got the reputation as a amp whisperer, since it usually sounded and worked much better when I got done - although sometimes people got mad when I told them the fix was to remove the magic parts and use standard industrial parts.

I actually had a good time doing this, and building kits for people, but I developed other interests and just stopped.

Brett

PostPosted: Nov Sat 09, 2019 1:36 am 

I am restoring a Pioneer SX-1010 "monster receiver" ; it was top of the line in 1974. Yes, you have to undo the wiring to some of the boards for repairs, but it is worth the effort. Waiting in line is a Magnavox Stereo 1000, and a Heathkit AR-15; as I have said before, I am a glutton for punishment!

By comparison, the later stuff is junk.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 09, 2019 2:22 am 

Always go by How Much Does It Weigh!
I have hefty speakers and the power required can be excessive. My sub woofer acts like a dead short at times.
It takes lots of mass to feed that beast.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 10, 2019 12:23 am 

I still use my old Marantz 2230 I bought back in 1975. Still works fine.

Dennis

PostPosted: Nov Sun 10, 2019 12:49 am 

Not at all into 70's, or any era for that matter, stereo receivers. My dad had a Sansui 5000x from 1972 and it sounded pretty good.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 10, 2019 3:49 am 

Pioneer SX series in '70s are notorious for having over worked regulated power supplies. Even the 6XX and 7xx. I've liked the bigger Sansui models like 9090DB. If you go into the 80's, I have a Denon 2 channel digital model (DRA-835R) that outperforms them in sonics, tuner, and convenience.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 10, 2019 5:08 am 

Probably JVC or Sansui - I'm not an audiophile, and even when I had good hearing, I had no audio-based preference. So my opinion is colored by what I saw in for repair.....

We made a killing repairing Pioneer stuff - lots of broken stuff. Technics seemed to appear for repairs a lot too, along with the Realistic stuff. Sansui, not so much. Marantz, only for the popping diodes and the occasional physical breaks - knobs and speaker terminals. We were warranty on Panasonic and Technics, but never saw any Technics in for warranty period work (um.....spilled beer and coke don't merit warranty claims...).

When JVC came out with their pure-class A stuff and their slimline receivers in 1979, I almost bought one, only to be talked down by common sense. I had several receivers already - a Sony, a Realistic and a Kenwood Eleven. My number one source for music at the time was a Hitachi AM/FM car radio in my Honda. :shock: