Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 14, 2019 9:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What is your favorite 1970,s brand stereo receiver ?
PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 10:50 pm 

I had a Sansui 8080 that I bought at the Navy exchange in the Philippines back in 1976 and paired it with some Kenwood KL-777 speakers, a Teac A-4300 R-R and a Technics SL-1300 turntable. Loved that system until the Sansui started ndropping out the left and right channels intermittently. Found out it was the selector switch going bad and there were none to be had anywhere. Seems as though the tension on the stationary contacts had given up.

Kept it going for a few more years and thought about outboarding it with a remote selector switch but that never happened. Ended up tossing it but still have the rest of the system.

"AC volts and DC volts and little lamps and lities..."

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 5:04 pm 

After I got out of the Army in 1971, and got a steady job, I bought a Pioneer SX-535, a Technics turntable with a low-end Empire cart, and The Smaller Advent speakers. Later added a Sony TXC-353 RTR. Left channel on the receiver went out, did some testing, and ended up replacing the audio output unit. Kept it until the early 90s when I was gifted by the family with a new BPC receiver, the brand I can't recall. Also got Pioneer 3-way speakers.
Currently running a PROJECT/one Mark IIIB, which was sold through the stereo chain store "Playback." I've read where those were made by Pioneer, and I can understand, as it looks like Pioneer. Standby is another PROJECT/one receiver, a Mark I. Still have the technic table, but bought a nice used Kenwood direct drive. Have an Akai RTR/8 track player, Pioneer C-6 speakers.
I changed the filter caps in the Mark IIIB, but not the Mark I. I also had a nice Marantz that I refurbished, but sold that 2 years ago.
So I guess you could say my favorite 70s receiver is my Mark IIIB.
RW

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 12:18 am 

Nearly every major name brand made some great products.

Personally I am partial to Marantz (I own a 2252B) and Onkyo.

The sweet spot is generally for receivers in the 50-60 Watt/channel range.

The super-high-power units ( >100WPC ) from the late 1970's are sought after by collectors/gear flippers, but don't necessarily perform any better than midrange units. And they can be bears to refurbish. Not to mention that it takes 2 people to lift some of them.

Analog AM/FM tuning was generally far superior to any of the early attempts at digital radio sections, prior to the 1990's.

-EB

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 3:20 pm 

My favorite, a Sansui Black Faceplate 990DB which is the European version of the 9090DB. Mine is temporarily sidelined by the usual intermittent connections of the Dolby System switch. That is a major undertaking to repair. Maybe, when other things get caught up. (Really? Does that ever happen? ;) )

Attachments:
990DB.jpg
990DB.jpg [ 533.87 KiB | Viewed 174 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 5:27 pm 

Don Cavey wrote:
My favorite, a Sansui Black Faceplate 990DB which is the European version of the 9090DB. Mine is temporarily sidelined by the usual intermittent connections of the Dolby System switch. That is a major undertaking to repair. Maybe, when other things get caught up. (Really? Does that ever happen? ;) )
If that Dolby switch is the style where rotating the knob actuates an interior slide switch through a rack-and-pinion gear, I’ve had great success with the following procedure. It’s a bit tedious, but it works. Unfortunately a simple treatment with contact cleaner spray, such as Deoxit, rarely works. The contact surfaces inside these switches develop thick layers of dirt and tarnish that cannot be removed by spraying in contact cleaner.

Detailed instructions:

Detach the Dolby switch assembly PC board from the front panel. Hopefully the connecting wires are long enough that the PC board will be accessible without detaching the wires.
Carefully unsolder the Dolby switch from the PC board and remove it. A vacuum desoldering device such as Hakko 808 is very helpful.
Carefully bend back the small metal tabs that attach the phenolic contact mounting plate to the metal frame of the Dolby switch.
Remove the rectangular phenolic contact plate from the switch body.
Be extremely cautious to avoid losing any of the tiny springy “U” shaped sliding contact elements.
Gently scrub all visible corrosion and tarnish from the exposed stationary contacts which protrude from the phenolic contact mounting plate. After 40-50 years, these stationary contacts are often coal-black with tarnish. Use a toothbrush dampened with isopropyl alcohol and/or Deoxit D5 for the first stage of cleaning/polishing. Occasionally I use a fiberglass bristle cleaning brush for extreme cases. Do not use sandpaper or files. These terminals are plated. You don’t want to remove the thin layer of plating.
Inspect with magnifying glass to make sure all contact surfaces are shiny and bright.

Clean each springy “U” shaped sliding contact by sliding it back and forth along the edge of a business card saturated with Deoxit D5. When you get them clean enough, they won’t leave a black line on a clean white business card when you slide the contact spring back and forth along the edge of the card.

Put a very light coating of automotive silicone dielectric grease on the clean contacts.

Reassemble all of the U shaped contacts into their proper locations over the phenolic plate contacts.

Gently reassemble the phenolic plate into the switch housing. Don’t force anything. The u shaped moving contact springs must fit into the recessed areas of the plastic section of the switch that moves when the knob is turned.

I recommend checking continuity of all switch terminals at this stage, before final reassembly.

Then bend over the metal tabs that secure the phenolic contact plate to the switch body. Then do a final continuity test before resoldering the switch to the PC board.

Then resolder the PC board and put it back into the receiver.

It should work good for the next 10-20 years after doing this.

-EB