Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 16, 2019 9:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about very high hour use tube stereo
PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 4:25 am 

Hey All,

At this time, this is our current source for audio on living room flat screen tv. The original sound on the tv is completely and totally garbled. The set needs to be replace but we can't afford it at the moment. The screen backlight is slowly dying also This is a 1966 Packard Bell somewhat portable stereo. We are using a box that goes between this and the TV for remote control volume.

The stereo has been completely retubed, the bypass caps have been replaced (uses single end 6GW8) the main cap has not. I have it, and the next time I pull it down, it's slated for replacement but it's stable at the moment and running ice cold. The rectifier is SS and the set is transformerized.

My concern is that the set is running literally 8-12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Is there anything that, if it all, I need to consider with the extensive use? Such as maybe pulling the radio tubes to reduce the load on xformer since the radio is not used much at this time.

Attachment:
20190906_200145a.jpg
20190906_200145a.jpg [ 213.34 KiB | Viewed 607 times ]

Post subject: Re: Question about very high hour use tube stereo
PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 5:41 am 

Tubed stereo equipment is remarkably durable. I would keep running it but make sure the back is open and ventilated.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 8:21 am 

Artcurus wrote:

My concern is that the set is running literally 8-12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Is there anything that, if it all, I need to consider with the extensive use? Such as maybe pulling the radio tubes to reduce the load on xformer since the radio is not used much at this time.

It's probably better off leaving it unmodified.

If it was mine, I would probably recap the radio and check all the resistors. If selenium, I would replace it with a 1n400x diode. And I would be sure that it had a *fuse*, which the original probably does not have.

Having said that, waiting for a failure and then fixing it would certainly be an option. Using it like you are tends to help keep the power supply capacitor formed, and unless it dries out, it might last a very long time. The output tube will likely be the only consumable item, anything else is a random failure.

Brett

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 1:35 pm 

You might want to add a small circulating fan if it's on 24/7. You do not want to "cool" it, you just want to keep it from becoming excessively hot. Think of air circulation, not "cooling" in the normal sense of the word.

Maybe a small computer cooling fan? You may have to find 12v in there to run it. Slow it down by using two in series perhaps or just experiment a little. Don't get a ball bearing fan... they tend to be noisier than sleeve bearing fans. Perhaps cut a few cooling slots in the bottom of the case to cool the underside of the chassis as well, and include this in your fan controlled air circulation path if possible.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 1:47 pm 

You might want to consider a bucking transformer to reduce input power. I find these older tube units will run at 110v just as well as 120-125v with no loss of performance but at significantly lower heat thereby reducing stress on all the components, especially if it has high dollar output tubes.

Larry

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 2:32 pm 

Brett_Buck wrote:
Artcurus wrote:

It's probably better off leaving it unmodified.

If it was mine, I would probably recap the radio and check all the resistors. If selenium, I would replace it with a 1n400x diode. And I would be sure that it had a *fuse*, which the original probably does not have.

Having said that, waiting for a failure and then fixing it would certainly be an option. Using it like you are tends to help keep the power supply capacitor formed, and unless it dries out, it might last a very long time. The output tube will likely be the only consumable item, anything else is a random failure.

Brett

Thanks Brett and all.

Actually is it fused and has been 99% recapped. The diodes are modern silicone.

The back is well ventilated and there's plenty of airflow around it.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 2:46 pm 

other than the electric bill, AOK

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 1:54 pm 

Concerning your TV, disassemble it and check the power supply capacitors unless you have already done that.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 3:53 am 

if a computer fan is going to be used for air flow, run a 12 volt computer fan at 5-6 volts. it will give ample airflow and will be hardly heard.

when i had my home theatre all hooked up back in the 90s, I put a 4-5 inch 12v computer fan running at 6v in the back panel of my entertainment cabinet behind the surround sound receiver.

it kept a very quiet and nice airflow moving over the receiver.

steve

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 6:16 am 

rocketeer wrote:
... I find these older tube units will run at 110v just as well as 120-125v with no loss of performance but at significantly lower heat thereby reducing stress on all the components, especially if it has high dollar output tubes. Larry
+1 All my tube amplifiers run on about 108 to 115 VAC from misc. bucking transformers. Wall sockets are 125 VAC most of the time.
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 2:07 pm 

^^ agreed

most sets spec to be run from 107-117 vac in their documents.

steve

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 2:18 pm 

Artcurus wrote:
Is there anything that, if it all, I need to consider with the extensive use? Such as maybe pulling the radio tubes to reduce the load on xformer since the radio is not used much at this time.

Attachment:
20190906_200145a.jpg

I would not remove any tubes from the radio section. While it would somewhat unload the power supply transformer, it could also raise operating voltages above normal for the remaining tubes.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 3:39 pm 

Quote:
The diodes are modern silicone.

Wow, didn't realize they found a way to make that stuff conduct electrons... :wink: :D

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 7:24 pm 

Tbirdkid wrote:
Quote:
The diodes are modern silicone.
Wow, didn't realize they found a way to make that stuff conduct electrons... :wink: :D
Good one, Tbird!
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Nov Sat 23, 2019 3:25 pm 

Tube Radio wrote:
Concerning your TV, disassemble it and check the power supply capacitors unless you have already done that.

Thanks TR,

It's a Samsung. The other problem is that the right hand corner of the screen has a purplish tinge to it. Research told me this was a common problem but the TV is toast. It cost as much to replace the panel as it does entire set.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 23, 2019 5:34 pm 

Oh ok.

Have you thought of looking around at local yard sales or looking around local neighborhoods the day before trash pickup?

You may get lucky and find one that won't power on and just needs the power supply caps replaced.

Either way you should still use the stereo as it sounds much better than the tv speakers can ever hope to sound.