Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sat 06, 2020 7:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 30 Years of vintage Tube Stereo Amps- Which is Best?
PostPosted: Mar Tue 03, 2020 3:27 am 

jimbenedict wrote:
Sound the same? You must have 'tin' ears. Not according to the link I provided above. they do not measure or sound the same either.

The confirmation bias is strong in this one.

jimbenedict wrote:
Folks, ignore this post,

I don't think you are the arbiter of which posts on ARF should be ignored.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 03, 2020 3:45 am 

stevebyan wrote:
jimbenedict wrote:
Sound the same? You must have 'tin' ears. Not according to the link I provided above. they do not measure or sound the same either.

jimbenedict wrote:
Folks, ignore this post,

Talking about the sound of capacitors does not belong on this site. That is not what the main subject is here. If I post this on the Steve Hoffman Audio Forum site it would not be disputed as here. About everyone there knows better. No more further replies from me.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 03, 2020 5:16 am 

stevebyan wrote:
jimbenedict wrote:

jimbenedict wrote:
Folks, ignore this post,

he thinks he is...

steve

PostPosted: Mar Tue 03, 2020 5:51 am 

This thread is spinning into another classic hi-fi directed urination contest, so I know (after the previous 5000 attempts) that not many people will change their minds about it. However:

John Bartley wrote:
This "best audio amplifier" debate is a bunch of baloney. People's hearing is like fingerprints ... nobody is the same. What works for one person won't necessarily work anyone else. There is no "best".

That is a common misapprehension. There are entirely objective standards that have nothing whatever to do with someone's hearing, and there are significant differences between various amplifiers with regard to these objective standards. This is not like a guitar amp, or a musical instrument, where make legitimate subjective/artistic choices about "voicing", this is a very rigorous engineering discipline and there is certainly a correct answer, and various degrees of lesser solutions.

And no matter what sort of hearing you have, it will still sound different and you can still tell the difference, if you know what to listen for. Even if your hearing is severely damaged (like my father's, bordering on legally deaf even with hearing aids), they are still different, and will reflect the differences between the source material/real life, and the reproduced results.

Not caring about this is fine, but it's not quite right to presume that because someone can't tell the difference, there are no differences. That's like the inverse fallacy of the Golden Ear, who decides that if he likes it, it must be more accurate, but still fallacious.

Brett

PostPosted: Mar Tue 03, 2020 8:25 am 

Quote:
Sound the same? You must have 'tin' ears. Not according to the link I provided above. they do not measure or sound the same either. Folks, ignore this post,.

Spoken like a true, opinionated, coward. :). This is fairly typical of your other posts... you need to be so right that everyone else is wrong.

I truly don't care lmao. Folks, ignore this post.

too freakin funny. 8) The need for some people to tell other what to THINK reveals volumes about them.