Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 03, 2020 5:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Marantz SR 4000 Receiver
PostPosted: Mar Mon 02, 2020 7:53 pm 

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
yesterday, i was given an LXI amplifier. it has STK 100 "Darlington" chips.
it is probably one of the last chip amps b/c it is black and looks to be very late 80s.
it certainly isn't like the high end items i have, but it sounds good for what it is, and has that nice warm robust STK sound to it.
there is something about mosfet transistors and darlington STK chips that my ears just like.
steve
LXI was a Sears brand. I've heard rumors that the more expensive LXI models were manufactured by Sanyo.
The STK chips themselves were a product of Sanken.
I believe Sanken was a joint venture between Sanyo and Kenwood to manufacture semiconductors for consumer electronics.

Sanyo produced a lot of stereo gear and other consumer electronics as a "contract manufacturer" for other, often well-known, brands, including Sears and Radio Shack.

To the best of my knowledge Sanyo never made a product which didn't work. Sanyo gear wasn't expensive, but it was always reasonably well constructed and it didn't break.

-EB

PostPosted: Mar Mon 02, 2020 10:32 pm 

yes, it is nice and very well built. it has a massive power transformer, much larger than average.

steve

PostPosted: Mar Tue 03, 2020 6:49 pm 

Great score Steve. My SR4000 sounds very good on the AR3A's I have, even better then the AR1500 receiver that I normally use with them. It seems to have so much more power even though the receiver is only rated at 50 watts per channel. It has a more detailed sound stage with tighter bass and a better midrange..

Perhaps that is just me but I will be sad to see it go when and if it sells.. Have a great day Cheers Wayne

PostPosted: Mar Tue 03, 2020 7:52 pm 

thanks wayne

steve

PostPosted: Mar Tue 03, 2020 7:52 pm 

electricboyo wrote:

-EB

?

Every STK chip I've seen in the last 39 years of servicing was made by SANYO.

Sanken made the SI-prefixed (STK-like, but not STK) hybrids and regulators used in consumer electronics. Later, Sanken made the STA- series darlington modules used just about everywhere for amps, motor drive, solenoid and pin(printer) drive, as well as the STR-series regulators used to meet the Energy-Star ratings required for consumer goods. I've got several 90s and 2000s-era Sanyo Selection Guides, and a bunch of Fisher service notes (from service seminars....). The earlier gouge about modern-for-obsoleted STK replacements I posted was from some of the service notes.

I've got a bunch (about 260 fiche, and about 1900 manuals) of Sears microfiche from Division 61 (audio) and serviced a handful of old LXI items over the years, mostly receivers. Sears' LXI was a line made by several vendors. Sanyo made most (actually SFS, or Sanyo-Fisher, after Sanyo had purchased Fisher), Foster Electronics made some, (maker of many Radio Shack items), and some were made by Daewoo (the maker of 80s domestic Daytron audio stuff). Yeah, a mixed bag. The SFS-made stuff was easy to determine - the Sanyo-logo on the foil side of the boards, and the plethora of LAXXXX series ICs within. The Daewoo stuff was also easy - the transistors were the KIA- or SA/SB/SC/SD-prefixed, as opposed to the A/B/C/D prefixed EIAJ stuff in the SFS and Foster stuff. A transistor marked SC945 instead of C945, for example - easiest clue to determine. The original Daewoo no longer exists - the name was bought out of bankruptcy, and now makes home appliances.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 03, 2020 11:51 pm 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
electricboyo wrote:
-EB

? Every STK chip I've seen in the last 39 years of servicing was made by SANYO.

Sanken made the SI-prefixed (STK-like, but not STK) hybrids and regulators used in consumer electronics. Later, Sanken made the STA- series darlington modules used just about everywhere for amps, motor drive, solenoid and pin(printer) drive, as well as the STR-series regulators used to meet the Energy-Star ratings required for consumer goods. I've got several 90s and 2000s-era Sanyo Selection Guides, and a bunch of Fisher service notes (from service seminars....). The earlier gouge about modern-for-obsoleted STK replacements I posted was from some of the service notes.
Thanks for refreshing my memory about that. There weren’t a whole lot of semiconductor manufacturers making these “power hybrid” IC modules. IIRC, the Sanyo STK chips had black epoxy covers over the aluminum heatsink plate, but the Sanken SI chips had a metal cover.

-EB