Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Fri 29, 2020 5:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Car reverb
PostPosted: Feb Mon 10, 2020 4:48 am 

I picked up this reverb today at the Mopar swap meet. The tank and amp goes in the trunk. The two wires coming from it must be for the rear speaker. There are 5 wires coming from the dash located on-off/fader switch. One has an inline fuse, so even though it is black, I am assuming that one is for +12 volts. The other two pair should be one for input from the radio and the other for the front speaker. Both have one black and one white wire. I am trying to figure out which is which. From the web, it looks like the maker is Cletron. The model looks to be RU-104. Would Sams have a schematic for it? If not I will try to use a generic reverb schematic to try to figure it out.

Attachments:
2920.jpg
2920.jpg [ 305.7 KiB | Viewed 1434 times ]

Post subject: Re: Car reverb
PostPosted: Feb Mon 10, 2020 3:26 pm 

Here's a link to an older discussion of reverb units. The schematic for the Ford unit at the very bottom of the page, which was actually built by Motorola, may be helpful in figuring out the intended wiring connections. I'm surprised to see that yours has such a large tank assembly, similar to what Motorola used, because many of the competitors had much smaller single spring units.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=291446

The schematic for the Cletron unit is in Sams Auto Radio manual AR-27

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 10, 2020 3:35 pm 

Nice find...Hope you get it working! Recently picked up a mid-sixties German radio with a built in reverb tank in it...Kind of cool sounding for about 5 minutes, then the novelty wears off.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 2:52 am 

Thanks, guys. After looking at the schematics from the link, and others on the internet, I determined the input wires went to the fader pot. I hooked it up, but got no sound from the front speaker. Since that speaker gets its signal from the radio, I hooked up the speaker output of the radio to the front speaker and the input of the reverb. I then got that familiar reverb twang. I think maybe there is a break in the wire for the front speaker. Thanks again, Mike.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 12, 2020 2:57 pm 

Mike, since I am 72, I remember these things from my early "adult" years (Was I actually an adult???) We would laugh when driving over railroad tracks. The sound was hilarious! Booowangggg!

PostPosted: Feb Wed 12, 2020 7:04 pm 

I'm not quite as old as Don, but I remember that these were considered really "keen" in the late-50s and early-60s before FM and stereo.

-David

PostPosted: Feb Thu 13, 2020 9:00 pm 

I picked up this pair of drive-in speakers at the MARC winter swap meet. My thought was to display them with my 68 Coronet RT at car shows. Since I had the original AM radio converted to AM/FM stereo, the reverb will not be going in the car. I am wondering if I hooked the reverb up to the drive-in speakers, using a small radio, or Ipod type device as the audio source, how it would sound.
The speakers are stamped as being from the Starlite Theater in Bay City, Mi. I am wondering if anyone frequented that drive-in?

Attachments:
2131.jpg
2131.jpg [ 198.77 KiB | Viewed 1193 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 1:00 am 

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/29667/photos

PostPosted: Feb Sat 22, 2020 6:14 am 

Congrats on getting it to work. I think you could find some movie sound tracks that would sound great with a bit or a lot of reverb, depending on the material. Spaghetti western sound tracks, maybe? 8)

There are losses in running the signal thru the springs, using transducers. That aspect is a mystery to me. So a typical circuit includes an amp to boost the output.
I have a small spring reverb unit salvaged from an old transistor guitar amp. I mounted it in a pedal board and powered it with a wall wart. It has adjustments for dwell and speed. That was ages ago, but maybe my grandkids will enjoy it.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 23, 2020 12:08 am 

It was almost 50' in the metro Detroit area today, so I got outside and worked a little on my drive in speakers. I bought a tree stand at an estate sale. It's plastic, so I was able to drill a 2-1/2 hole in the bottom to fit the pvc post in to hold it upright. I drilled 4 holes in the side of the post for the thumbscrews. Seems to be very stable. I am going to paint the post and stand black. Here is a pic with my 68 R/T.

Attachments:
2221.jpg
2221.jpg [ 195.85 KiB | Viewed 923 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 12:31 am 

I have been working on the speakers. I bought a small, cheap MP3 player. I replaced the worn out original speakers. I wired the speakers up to a jack to plug into the player. I painted the pipe and stand black. I ran threaded rods from one side to the other through the pipe and stand. I downloaded 30 car songs onto the player. Each speaker is hooked up to one channel, so the sound is in stereo. The third photo is with the top off showing the wiring and player. To charge it or add songs, I just unplug the player from the speaker jack.

Attachments:
471.jpg
471.jpg [ 267.97 KiB | Viewed 421 times ]
472.jpg
472.jpg [ 271.47 KiB | Viewed 421 times ]
473.jpg
473.jpg [ 323.37 KiB | Viewed 421 times ]