Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sat 06, 2020 9:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help w/octal sockets/plug for Rauland RA4260A Amp
PostPosted: Mar Sat 07, 2020 5:49 am 

Just acquired this "booster" amplifier at a fair price to pair with my little bit older fifties Rauland "Green Gem" model 1960 for live band PA use, etc
now I can regretfully let go of my pair of RCA MI-9377's :( , etc and pay some bills...+ I already own some oddball new filter caps as spares, phew!
Anyway, wondered if anyone has any past experience with the A, B and C octal input/output sockets of this type of booster amp and how it's wired?
Apparently it's switched on by a preamp unit (not included) that plugs into the B socket?, I'm guessing with pilot lamp on front panel and no switch or power cord on main amp.
Only schematics, info, etc, I have are on the older post Webster Chicago/ Rauland version W-4260.
Thanks all,
Kent

Attachments:
Rauland RA4260A 3 6 20 8.JPG
Rauland RA4260A 3 6 20 8.JPG [ 622.24 KiB | Viewed 698 times ]
Rauland RA4260A 3 6 20 6.JPG
Rauland RA4260A 3 6 20 6.JPG [ 939.07 KiB | Viewed 698 times ]
Rauland RA4260A 3 6 20 7.JPG
Rauland RA4260A 3 6 20 7.JPG [ 796.04 KiB | Viewed 698 times ]

Post subject: Re: Need help w/octal sockets/plug for Rauland RA4260A Amp
PostPosted: Mar Sat 07, 2020 6:17 am 

Nice amp. I have a RA-4290A on my bench right now. I was just downstairs digging through my parts tubs for some octal sockets. What a coincidence!

Your schematic is here: https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rauland_ra4260a.html

You'll need to short pins 1 and 3 of socket C to get the amp out of standby mode as confirmed here: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/101727-rauland-borg-6l6-amp-info-2.html

PostPosted: Mar Sat 07, 2020 6:29 am 

Thanks for the links and pin assistance! I'll check them out...Even weirder coincidence along with the help this amp comes to me from Chicago (Gurnee, Il.) where my Ma lives now, though I didn't live there (Glenview),....My late Dad used to say back in Chi-town that the Rauland and Newcomb amps were the cream of the PA amp lot in the old days, when we'd drive down to white castle for sliders and pass the Rauland factory...A 4290!, does that use 6550's?

EDIT: I checked out the DIY post and downloaded the schematic, was very helpful!
Looks like I may have to change out the output transformer in the future for best results for live music with 80 ohms (70v) the lowest impedance available on tap.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 07, 2020 5:44 pm 

ampstamp88 wrote:
Even weirder coincidence along with the help this amp comes to me from Chicago (Gurnee, Il)

It's probably not much of a coincidence. In November there was an estate sale in Milwaukee of all of the 'leftovers' of the Select Sound business. I was there on the first day of the sale and there were probably about 30-50 amps there, many of which were Rauland-Borg.

I only got the RA-4290A, but I'm glad I did. It uses 4 807's in parallel push-pull configuration. It's not in nearly as good of shape as yours, but I hope to get it running soon.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 07, 2020 7:08 pm 

Too bad I didn't plan my every few years back to Chi-town trip then in November!....I missed out on some vintage microphones I bet , too!
Fortunately the seller I've bought something heavy? from years ago (my Mom picked up in Gurnee to save on shipping cost) was certainly at the estate sale,
as I received the 4260 with shipping for a little under $100, guess not many were interested on eby with it's industrial drab factory appearance!
Or maybe it was the A, B, C input/output plugs :D that scared 'em off bidding...

Was the Select sound Co. Bob Paquette's operation or related to Cascio music, or a different outfit altogether?
It sounds familiar to me, perhaps I've owned one of their pieces of sound equipment before.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 09, 2020 2:13 pm 

That .1mfd. capacitor in the second picture has to go; it's an OEM Aerovox, and sure to be leaky.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 10, 2020 4:13 am 

ampstamp88 wrote:
Was the Select sound Co. Bob Paquette's operation or related to Cascio music, or a different outfit altogether?

Select Sound Service was the company that Bob Paquette founded, which was acquired by CEC. I don't think there's any relation to Cascio.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 10, 2020 5:18 am 

That's right, Select Sound Co. was on the manila envelope (I still have around here somewhere) Bob was kind enough to send me 15 or so years ago with mimeograph copies about Amperite SR80 Studio microphones and power supplies....
He refused to use computers for copying at the time, so you had to call or write him for vintage mic information,
which besides the site of the late Bob Steele, was scarce at the time..
Wonder if his "Vintage Microphone Museum" in Milwaukee is still open?
Regretfully never did get to go there yet on my brief visits back near there,
but good to know I scored a piece of Select Sound history inadvertently! :)

EDIT- Thanks Tim for noticing the .1 cap!
I'll probably replace most (or all) of the paper and electrolytic caps once I replace the OPT.

Noticed in my Rauland files, the transformer output in the 4260 with the Line output windings is LO-0129,
whereas the Rauland OPT for the model 1960, 1961 (also 60 w. output) is # LO-0123 with a 3.4k primary and conventional taps.