Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Fri 29, 2020 12:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Heathkit BC-1 AM tuner
PostPosted: Mar Tue 10, 2020 7:08 am 

I just rediscovered this unit and it sounds great! I'd like to reproduce the loop antenna described on the schematic, but I'm not sure what cable would be suitable. It's clearly some two-conductor-with-shield stuff, but I wonder what Heath included with the kit? I was hoping for more information from the manual but haven't been able to find a copy. I did find an article about the rig with a little more info at the OCARC site. I'd post a URL but the forum doesn't like that for a newby like me. Should I be looking for a particular impedance cable to make it work as designed? The loop design looks very similar to the low-noise broadcast signal strength measurement units I've seen, and if it performs as well as those I've just got to try one!

Post subject: Re: Heathkit BC-1 AM tuner
PostPosted: Mar Thu 12, 2020 5:53 pm 

I have one of these (BC-1A)... restored, aligned, very nice unit. Audio bandwidth is excellent and sensitivity very good. I presently have mine running off a re-purposed tuned ferrite-rod antenna from a scrapped s/s AM/FM receiver: tuned primary winding, secondary connected to the tuner loop input (middle two screws on back panel.) Previously, I ran it from a re-purposed AA5 radio loop antenna (from a scrapped plastic radio): that worked very well, too. In this case the main loop winding was tuned and the 2-turns tap went to the BC-1A loop input. In both cases connection was just a length of scrap twisted pair, 2 or 3 feet long.
As I've said before, I am a big fan of AM radio loop antennas... the only downside is that you have to tune them for each station, but this has never bothered me.
Cheers,
Roger