Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sun 29, 2020 5:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Heathkit AR-15 Receiver—“Muddy” Bass
PostPosted: Mar Fri 13, 2020 2:57 pm 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
Actually I don't even recall if they are carbon or film.
Looks like they used a combination of both:

Attachment:
Heathkit AR-15 Snip.JPG
Heathkit AR-15 Snip.JPG [ 182.32 KiB | Viewed 398 times ]

While it's fun to do things like wholesale cap or resistor replacement in the hope of solving a problem, I agree with Barry that the best way to troubleshoot is with the aid of an oscilloscope. Many people avoid acquiring a scope because they think they are too complicated to learn how to use. Scopes are nothing more than a voltmeter operating in real time allowing you to, for example, see what you hear when diagnosing an amplifier problem. A decent, 20 MHz, dual trace, analog scope can be had so cheaply now that it doesn't make sense not to get one and spend a few hours learning about it. After that, you'll wonder how you ever did without one.

Dave

Post subject: Re: Heathkit AR-15 Receiver—“Muddy” Bass
PostPosted: Mar Mon 16, 2020 3:13 pm 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
My point was, out of spec does not bother me in the slightest, if the circuit works. :)

I tend to agree provided the circuit meets or exceeds manufacturer spec.

Dave Doughty wrote:
While it's fun to do things like wholesale cap or resistor replacement in the hope of solving a problem, I agree with Barry that the best way to troubleshoot is with the aid of an oscilloscope.

Dave

I agree, but at least in my experience I've seen carbon comps be out of tolerance. In fact I've found very few in the devices (tube and solid state) I've worked on to be in tolerance so rather than test each resistor especially PC board mounted resistors since one leg would have to be de-soldered, I'm already halfway to replacement at that point so I go ahead and replace.

I work in avionics where electronics cannot fail so I tend to apply that mentality to whatever I work on.