Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 07, 2020 12:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cassette deck belt meltdown
PostPosted: Apr Mon 06, 2020 3:35 pm 

I have boxes full of Prairie Home Companion shows and a local big band program cassettes recorded off-air over 20 years ago. Just the ticket to pass the stay at home time we now observe. When I got my TEAC CX-210 deck off the shelf, it didn't work (no surprise). Took the cover off and discovered that the drive belt had decomposed into a nasty, sticky, tar-like goo. (Big ugly surprise). I can order replacement belts but... after cleaning the goo off the motor capstan and flywheel, I can't figure out how to get the belt out of the flywheel. The accessible part of the flywheel is supported on an adjustable nylon bearing of some kind. I don't know how to get the entire assembly out without the skills of a Swiss watchmaker, so I'm stumped. I've looked up a few You Tube videos on the subject, none were very helpful. Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Cassette deck belt meltdown
PostPosted: Apr Mon 06, 2020 3:49 pm 

I found this with regard to your question which also has a link where you can get a service manual. https://www.hifiengine.com/forum/teac-c ... belt.shtml

Hope this might be of some help.

I did see a picture of belt replacement for a CX-400 and it may be similar. If so, the bracket holding the nylon bearing had to be removed. Once this is done everything is accessible. I am sure getting the screws out of the bracket and back in will be a bit of a pain. A little masking tape on the end of a screw driver can come in handy for holding the screws during this process.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Apr Mon 06, 2020 10:13 pm 

I've done a lot of these. Don't recall your particular model number. Just be careful and don't lose any small washers, metal or nylon. The manual should have belt replacement instructions. It's not "difficult" per se, but some can be involved. Take pictures or make notes if there is a lot of stuff you have to remove.

You don't want to mess with the adjustment on the capstan ball either....there's probably a large nut on the bracket. Do not loosen that at all. And make sure you don't lose the ball bearing on the end of the shaft.... they can travel a LONG way on a hard floor lol.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 4:31 am 

Thank you both! I appreciate the tips.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 4:35 am 

Rubber belts tend to crack and dry, or melt. I've seen my share of them.
My wife got mad because I got hot tar on the feet of the step stool she keeps in her van.
I told her that came from the melting rubber.

1. It was raining on the day of the hamfest, and there was no melted tar.
2. I left the stool in the garage - it never went to the hamfest.
She would not believe me.

Bob

PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 5:26 am 

your story reminds me of the old Zenith Allegro and Quadraphonic systems of the 70s.

ALL of their 8-track belts melted into a goo that nearly ruined the entire 8-track mechanism.

steve

PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 3:18 pm 

Cheap belts are always a problem. Either the plasticizer dries up, leading to a cracked and broken belt, or the plasticizer wins out, turning it all into goo.

Striking that balance long term is the goal, and what you are paying for with premium belts.

The belts in my Denon CD changer are nearly 30 years old and still going.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 4:40 pm 

I've heard the melting is caused by ozone. We have lots of that in CO. Old cassette decks almost always need need new belts here.