Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 04, 2021 1:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Pirate Station Radio Caroline
PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 1:31 pm 

In 1964 when Irish musician manager and businessman Ronan O'Rahilly couldn't get airplay for Georgie Fame's records on Radio Luxembourg he organized a group of investors and bought a 1929 vintage, 702-ton former Danish passenger ferry and started the pirate radio station known as Radio Caroline.
This film was produced in 1965 by Paul Kramer, a DJ at another British pirate radio station, Radio City, which broadcast from the Shivering Sands Army Fort, one of the abandoned Second World War Maunsell Sea Forts in the Thames Estuary.

You can see it here https://youtu.be/3OpjtSN6bew

Enjoy,
Mark

Post subject: Re: The Pirate Station Radio Caroline
PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 9:07 pm 

I used to listen to that station occasionally at night when I was stationed in West Germany, mid-late sixties.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 08, 2021 9:21 am 
Site Admin

Too bad the audio is so bad. I gave up trying to watch it because it was so difficult to understand what was being said.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 2:40 am 

There was an episode of "Danger Man" where Drake infiltrates a pirate radio station. It was on a platform, not a ship. So almost concurrent with the real thing.

If they were outside of territorial waters, they weren't under a national jurisdiction. They were more like those Mexican border stations, runjing high power but targetting tge US. That contrasts with "pirate radio" in the US, stations that are actually illegal.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 3:14 pm 

Hi. As someone from the U.K I remember this station very well indeed. It is now legal and inland now since 2017, but it took 50 years to get it legalized! I attended the event in 2017 at Felixstowe, Suffolk to see the start. There is a plaque on the cliff top gardens to commemorate where it first happened on Easter Sunday 1964.
What the world does not understand is that how dreadful the BBC were to musicians before the advent of The Beatles. There was actually talent, but there was control over what got played on the radio. The BBC only let people hear up to an hour a day of music. Radio Luxembourg (from Europe) was a commercial station on 208 metres medium wave which started at 7.30 p.m G.M.T which had a slightly more flexible approach, but it still vetted music that it played. The record companies (Decca, EMI Columbia, Philips & PYE) were a giant stumbling block to musicians and they were also in control of what records could be played on air. Luxembourg was O.K, but the government did not like commercial radio in the U.K, but because it was from Europe they could not close that down.
What I liked about the early 1960's was that there were many instrumental bands as well as The Shadows, such as The Tornadoes ( the U.K group that recorded "Telstar"), The Outlaws and many more. Shame that they were not given more promotion.
Anyway at least we can enjoy the present Caroline without hassle.