Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Tue 09, 2022 10:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: WOR Celebrates 100 years but Where Is Heritage?
PostPosted: Feb Sat 19, 2022 10:06 pm 

Next week New York radio station WOR celebrates 100 years on the air. Its website mentions some
noteworthy events which occurred during its life but there is not one word about its significant heritage
during radio’s golden age. In 1934, WOR became the flagship station of the newly created Mutual Broadcasting System which initially also consisted of WGN Chicago, WXYZ Detroit and WLW Cincinnati.
One of its first programs was the Lone Ranger which switched to ABC in the 1940s. Eventually Mutual
Had more affiliates than each of the big three networks but operated as a cooperative with limited funds
and could not attract any of the big stars of those years, instead concentrating on producing scripted
mystery dramas such as The Shadow and the Mysterious Traveller. These shows were produced at WOR
for Mutual. I really enjoyed listening to their mystery and detective shows. I also vividly recall listening to their kids adventure shows in the early 1950s such as Superman, Sgt. Preston, Bobby Benson, Sky King
and Wild Bill Hickok. It is very disappointing that WOR is not acknowledging its golden age heritage on its
website. How about you….do you remember Mutual’s mysteries? The Shadow knows!

Post subject: Re: WOR Celebrates 100 years but Where Is Heritage?
PostPosted: Apr Tue 19, 2022 6:48 pm 

I wouldn't expect much from current owner iHeartMedia.