Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 24, 2021 8:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Panasonic RE-7259 dial lamp, and band indicator lamps
PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 12:49 am 

Hello,

Panasonic RE-7259 AM FM table radio.

Does anyone know what type and value bulbs (lamps) are used for the "AM" and "FM" band selectors? Also, does the dial light use the same bulb? Does the dial use more than one bulb?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Panasonic RE-7259 dial lamp, and band indicator lamps
PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 2:26 am 

Sams Photofact set number 1075, folder5, only gives Panasonic part numbers for the 3 bulbs in the set.

Attachments:
Panasonic bulbs.jpg
Panasonic bulbs.jpg [ 651.02 KiB | Viewed 576 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 2:34 am 

Going from those voltage and current ratings, here is the chart of standard dial lamps:

https://www.radioremembered.org/lamps.htm

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 9:14 am 

Great info. Thanks. Now need to figure out why I didn't get an email notification that you posted replies. Must be a setting in the user control panel.

Update / Edit: I found where it says to subscribe to the topic.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 2:16 pm 

The screw and bayonet base types are readily available, but the cylindrical ("fuse") type used for the dial may be a problem, depending on size. A few types are still available - you may be able to adapt a smaller one if the original size can't be found.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 2:36 pm 

Tom Bavis wrote:
The screw and bayonet base types are readily available, but the cylindrical ("fuse") type used for the dial may be a problem, depending on size. A few types are still available - you may be able to adapt a smaller one if the original size can't be found.

Great info. Thanks. I'm away from my workshop, so can't easily open it up to verify the size and style, but noted your comments. I wasn't sure what "cylinder" meant until you referred to it as the fuse type.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 4:39 pm 

If the old bulbs aren't marked what their type is and you can't find diddly in the documentation, you can always fall back to the specs. You'd be surprised what you can find by first figuring out the base type (mini bayonet BA9s, screw in E10, etc.), then by the volts and amps stamped on the old bulb's base.
Once you got those, then it's just a matter of finding a closer glass shape for the bulb. This helps a LOT with finding an equivalent bulb for European sets this side of the Atlantic.

Actually, if you know the base type and the volts, then you can search for LED replacements as well. Rarely, this isn't a good idea. Some tubes out there with specific bulb taps (like the 35Z5) are really picky if they don't get the right amperage for the bulb and can overdrive themselves and burn out quicker. There are workarounds for these tubes, like ballast resistors and finding LED bulbs with a higher, closer amperage. There's a lot of crossover with pinball machine bulbs for these tiny LED bulbs.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 5:01 pm 

ZombieElvis wrote:
If the old bulbs aren't marked what their type is and you can't find diddly in the documentation, you can always fall back to the specs. You'd be surprised what you can find by first figuring out the base type (mini bayonet BA9s, screw in E10, etc.), then by the volts and amps stamped on the old bulb's base.
Once you got those, then it's just a matter of finding a closer glass shape for the bulb. This helps a LOT with finding an equivalent bulb for European sets this side of the Atlantic.

Actually, if you know the base type and the volts, then you can search for LED replacements as well. Rarely, this isn't a good idea. Some tubes out there with specific bulb taps (like the 35Z5) are really picky if they don't get the right amperage for the bulb and can overdrive themselves and burn out quicker. There are workarounds for these tubes, like ballast resistors and finding LED bulbs with a higher, closer amperage. There's a lot of crossover with pinball machine bulbs for these tiny LED bulbs.

Yes, I'm hopeful that when I actually get into the radio to see/verify the lamp base types, I can cross-reference the specs. from the Photofact, and source the correct parts.

It would be great if someone actually had this rig, and could photograph the lamp types. Otherwise, I'll have to wait until I can remove the back, and see for myself.

p.s. Nice to see this forum is so active. I appreciate the help.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 10:09 pm 

Hope these are screw base lamps, because a package of Type 46 lamps (10 pieces) sells for about $3.00, and I wouldn't have to mess around with soldering. I just don't know if Panasonic was using screw base lamps in 1975. Something tells me they were not. Does anybody with a similar vintage Panasonic know?

Reference / Type 46 Lamps
https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/d ... screw-base

Attachments:
radio_Panasonic_RE-7259.jpg
radio_Panasonic_RE-7259.jpg [ 725.8 KiB | Viewed 463 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 11:53 pm 

They used a variety of lamps, and screw base types were among them. It was less common to find bayonet type lamps in any brands from that region of the world. The only way you are going to know for certain is to open it up and look. You may find a dab of paint or other adhesive material that was applied during production to keep the lamp from vibrating loose in transit or in operation.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 6:20 pm 

I have a small Panasonic, and could not unscrew one lamp due to the locking paint, so I simply put a bayonet socket and #47 lamp in. The other lamp was still good, light output matched.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 9:59 pm 

Great info. Thanks all.

I managed to remove the back cover, and could see there were indeed sockets in there. Still not sure if they are bayonet or screw base. From the posts here, we expect they are screw based. Didn't see the one for the Dial lamp at all. I'm on the road, so can only do minimal work. Another three Phillips screws need to be removed to extract the chassis, and I was not in a position to do that. It will be several days before I can look at it again, but I'm happy that the lamps have sockets, and are not soldered in place. Actually, it was a surprise. I thought this radio was from 1975, and figured it would have the "grain of wheat" style bulbs (i.e. soldered in place).

More later.

Last edited by atombaum on Sep Fri 17, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 1:51 am 

For clarity, the two sockets I saw were for the FM, and AM band indicators (see Sams screen shot above). Wasn't able to see if the Dial lamp is a fuse type or not.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 2:04 am 

Hello again.

Verified the Band Indicator lamps were Type 46 (6.3V, 250 mA, screw base), and the Dial lamp was indeed a fuse type (29 mm long, and readily available). I had the Type 46 lamps in stock, but ordered a 10-pack of the fuse lamps on the big auction site. See photo of original fuse lamp installed in the radio.

The glue (or anti-vibration paint) on the Band Indicator lamps presented a challenge when removing the screw base lamp socket clips. To help things along, I put some paraffin oil on a Q-tip, and applied it to the paint to soften it up. About 10 minutes later, used an x-acto knife to chip away at the paint. Then used a thin dental style poker to leverage those sockets up and out. Note the funky cardboard sleeves on those screw base lamps.

Also sprayed DeoxIT on the pots so all are working smoothly.

So now we are just waiting for the fuse lamps to arrive.

Attachments:
Panasonic RE-7259 Type 46 band indicator lamps cardboard shell 26sep2021g.jpg
Panasonic RE-7259 Type 46 band indicator lamps cardboard shell 26sep2021g.jpg [ 626.94 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]
Panasonic RE-7259 Type 46 band indicator lamps 26sep2021g.jpg
Panasonic RE-7259 Type 46 band indicator lamps 26sep2021g.jpg [ 731.53 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]
Panasonic RE-7259 fuse lamp at bottom of dial 26sep2021f.jpg
Panasonic RE-7259 fuse lamp at bottom of dial 26sep2021f.jpg [ 787.58 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 5:12 pm 

Very typical of Japanese electronics from that era. Glad that you got it sorted.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 08, 2021 2:02 am 

Finally: all three lamps were replaced in this photo. After all this, the green dial strip was just for show because the dial frequencies were not visible in complete darkness. Didn't the designers know the purpose of the Dial lamp is to make the frequencies readable in low light conditions? Oh well, at least it looks cool, and sounds pretty good. Thanks for the comments and thoughts throughout this little project.

Attachments:
radio_Panasonic_RE-7259_all_three_lamps_replaced_07oct2021d.jpg
radio_Panasonic_RE-7259_all_three_lamps_replaced_07oct2021d.jpg [ 548.47 KiB | Viewed 172 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Fri 08, 2021 5:08 am 

I have some old #47 lamps where the filament is up near the top of the lamp, so it will actually light the dial when only the top of the bulb sticks out through the hole in the dial. No one makes that style now, but some "pinball LED lamps" shine sideways.