Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 24, 2021 7:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: NOS Tubes
PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 11:09 pm 

I just took possession of approximately 1,000 tubes of various manufactures that came from a TV-Radio repair shop that closed around 20 years ago. I do limited work on on old radios for friends and family, but would never need this many tubes. I started posting on eBay, but does anyone have a suggestion of what to do with this new found stash?

Thanks,

Ken

Post subject: Re: NOS Tubes
PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 3:47 am 

See the thread within the past month about this very topic.

And it's come up before too. Often from people who've just joined

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 3:57 am 

To be quite honest, far more of most of the common TV tubes that would have been found in a repair shop that closed as recently as 20 years ago are still in existence than there are people wanting to own them.

Other than a few choice audio tubes, and a few TV sweep tubes which were used in illegal CB linear amplifiers, the rest of them are going to be very difficult if not impossible to sell for more than a very small amount. People are not collecting or repairing those last generations of TV's that had tubes in them to the degree that there will ever again be any demand for most of the common TV types.

Unless you have tubes which were used in pre-WW2 radios, or something else out of the ordinary, your best bet is to offer them in box lots of 50 or 100 tubes, and start bidding at a low enough price (20 cents per tube if they are new in boxes) to be certain they sell.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 4:12 am 

As one reference point, I pay $1 each for untested tubes IF I can look through them and pick only the ones I want. Right now, I have so many tubes that I am very choosy.

At the hamfest last Saturday there was someone with a box of maybe 40 or 50 tubes. He offered me the whole box for $20; I didn't buy it. Most of them were common radio types, not color TV types.

Who's that swimming in the punch bowl?
It's Walter Wart, the freaky frog!

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 2:16 pm 

Thank you for the info.

Ken

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 5:52 pm 

Back in the late 1990s I ran across a similar deal of tubes. 28 two foot X two foot boxes stuffed full of NOS tubes. Most were Tv tubes, but there were a few radio gems.

Mendelsons surplus said they would give me 10 cents a tube as long as they were NIB and I had a list of what exactly was there. i started to take inventory, got through a couple boxes and just decided to stow them all up in the attic. :lol:

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 10:24 pm 

Quote:
i started to take inventory, got through a couple boxes and just decided to stow them all up in the attic. :lol:

.....and there they sit to this day, gathering dust, and becoming worth less and less ;-)

you gotta wonder how many attics are stuffed with tubes.....Alan Douglas had one as well.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 10:58 pm 

Well, there were probably tens of thousands of neighborhood independent shops back in the prime years of the late 40's through the 70's. I think every single one of them has the same things in common, when those shops closed up the owners brought home their tube and parts inventory, and many filing cabinets full of Sams Photofacts. And as those people pass away, eventually their families have to deal with disposing of all of it. There are probably still hundreds, perhaps even thousands of attics and basements and garages that are filled with the contents of closed up TV shops.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 12:25 pm 

Barry H Bennett wrote:

you gotta wonder how many attics are stuffed with tubes.....Alan Douglas had one as well.

Don’t look in my attic, Barry.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 03, 2021 4:14 am 

Sometimes if you can spread them out so numbers are visible, take pics and post here, we can tell you what you've got there.
Sometimes tube vendors will buy and certainly will swap a box of tubes for a few you need.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 04, 2021 3:28 pm 

Besides the audio and radio tubes, there are some numbers which are useful for restoring vintage Ham and communications gear.